PDA

View Full Version : chipped rs6

AMG EATR
August 30th, 2005, 18:31
Need to chip rs6 but have a few questions.

1) What is best chip out there?
2) What is best price for chip?
3) Do you guys have trouble with warranty at dealer?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

BBGT2
August 30th, 2005, 18:53
There is no BEST, personally can only reccoment OCT, Stratmosphere, GIAC, MTM, DO NOT GO with APR for an RS6 mod.
GIAC has the ability to flash where the ecm does not need to be removed from the car.

Figure anywhere from $2500 up

Yes and no, depends what is wrong, if you blow your tranny yes they will bark like mad dogs, pretty tough question to answer AMG EATR:)

Bajo:addict:

gjg
August 30th, 2005, 21:36
None of the US tuners IMHO (and I know I'm opening can of worms again) has enough experience with this car no matter what they say. :idea:

You are looking in to a difference between someone re-writting the ECU software (and there is plenty of programmers who can do that) and someone doing extensive field testing including years and years of experience with this manufacturer.

There is plenty of info here on the board regarding the subject.

I would (and will pretty soon) go with MTM - there are others but MTM has I believe most of the experience with Audi ...

:thumb:

Erik
August 30th, 2005, 21:37
MTM (Hoppen)
or perhaps Sportec

BBGT2
August 30th, 2005, 21:44
I would (and will pretty soon) go with MTM - there are others but MTM has I believe most of the experience with Audi ...

That is the truth bar none.

I like this saying :

" I am not rich enough to buy cheap"

By far MTM has the most experience with any Audi in general everyone else is playing catch up, which is not to discredit any of them, any one of those guys I mentioned earlier is good, I had a chip by OCT and never had a problem with it, now I only had it for about 5k miles and in those miles never a fault and always had power without a hitch.

gjg
August 30th, 2005, 21:47
I do not know about Sportec - who done the chip for them ?

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/
http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/rs6tuning1.htm

for MTM in US and in Europe

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/

:race:

Erik
August 30th, 2005, 21:55
Originally posted by gjg
I am do not knowabout Sportec - who done the chip for them ?

Shank at 6speedonline for instance. The new owner was here as well, but he sold it. Perhaps Sportec wasn't such a good idea ;) (I don't know)

Carloz in Mexico has Sportec I think.

I have visited Sportec in Switzerland. I give them OK.

gjg
August 30th, 2005, 22:06
ok Erik, like I said, I have no idea and no experience about Sportec - I take your word for it.

Done 2 cars with MTM, 3 with Hoppen/MTM, and was pretty happy about outcome.

George :mech:

audirs6.ch
August 30th, 2005, 22:17
Sportec, no question!

Frank's RS6 has a Sportec-Chip, the car should have 600Nm and 500bhp, it has 745Nm and 510bhp, not that bad for only a chip.

trex
August 30th, 2005, 22:27
what about abt in my country is under the warranty...

vs2
August 30th, 2005, 23:14
I'm gettig the REVO SP3 + tip chip done on Friday. Its not actually "available" yet due to a small issue with the resume function of the cruise control. as you probably know it has a valet mode and disabling mode for the ECU as well. They reckon 740nm and 520hp as well. Both done through the OBD port.

I've been offered a Remus exhaust system. Anybody have experience with them? I was told Remus makes the systems for MTM and others - is this true?

REVO'dRS6
August 31st, 2005, 00:22
I am new to the board but I currently run the REVO flashover with SPS 3 done by Don Istook in Ft worth, On the dyno, performance mode2 with turbo setting 6 (agressive boost) my beast is turning out 553 bhp and 605 torque. More hp and torque possible I have a track day on Oct 3rd to play with the higher boost setting 3 more and start working out, timming as I run 108 octane at the track Sps 3 controller is the way to go. I have been running the "Ghost Chip" for 8 months now and my dealer has no clue!! as long as you remember to put it back to stock mode before bringing it in for service.
Interesting fact 0-60 times in stock mode range between 4.51 sec(TX winter 50 degrees) 4.65 (Summer 95 degrees) all done in Sport mode.
with Flashover
0-60 winter 4.17(42 degrees) summer 4.32(101degrees) Thats alot of bang for the buck when you compare costs of different Chips and Flashovers,
The sps3 also voids the rev limiter, top speed attained to date is 185 mph car was still pulling but I felt a little over my head and backed down.
I will be doing the Texas mile ( land speed racing) Oct 22 &23. I am thinking 175-177 range over the mile:wo:

BBGT2
August 31st, 2005, 01:16
Revo'dRS6,

The figures you are stating in your post thats to the wheels

On the dyno, performance mode2 with turbo setting 6 (agressive boost) my beast is turning out 553 bhp and 605 torque.

Those are amazing figures just from a chip! You got a printout of that?

REVO'dRS6
August 31st, 2005, 02:04
Did not ask for one when we originally programed the car and put it on dyno to check the numbers but after my Oct 3rd track day when I up the boost and adjust the timming we were planning to put it back on and see how much improvement we get and I will certainly get it and post it then.
Revo tech heads claim 600+hp & 700 torque possible but not recommended. Don Istook seems to think we can achieve 575-580 hp and 650 torque on 108 octane.
The torque is off the chain resulting in the improved 0-60 times. My beast has eaten 996's 997's (Stock versions) Z-06' Saleen mustang, aston martin vanquish an NSX and recently held its own with a gallardo(1/2 car length behind through 100 then the lambo started pulling away) and lost by a car length to a Z28 with blower and NOS( thats what pulled him ahead). I am hunting for a Viper to go against.
Revo has a free trail program that gives you 3-5 hours of ignition on time, and lets you sample a watered down version (75% of the program) if you like it, the dealer then gives you the full version or if not they erase it. Its worth a look

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=355

Istook/Aines Motorsports group race in Grand-Am cup
campaining an S-4 and GT-3

The REVO flashovers for the porsche side of the street are =ly awesome if not more impressive

SpinEcho
August 31st, 2005, 02:20
Pretty impressive stuff!

(I will pray for your transmission) :race:

REVO'dRS6
August 31st, 2005, 02:31
I actually had some trany issues but they were not due to the Flashover, Bad micro switch in the down paddle. The Tranny has been holding its own and I have about 6,000 miles on it with the REVO program running, My Audi SM (knows I am running the program and actually hooked me up with Don Istook) says the tranny issues are hit and miss( mostly due to the bad micro switches, but I appreciate the prayers:rs6kiss:

jimrd
August 31st, 2005, 03:22
I have recently had the Sportec chip installed along with the Milltek exhaust. I have been very happy with the way the car runs. I had a B5 S4 at one time that I also put a chip and exhaust on(not Sportec) - this combo was supposed to give a 70hp gain - but I never really felt like it was worth it. The Sportec chip, on the other hand, resulted in very noticeable "seat of the pants" improvement that I immediately appreciated. I suspect my RS6 would keep up with a stock 996tt in a straight line. I have had no codes or warning lights. The best known and respected tuner of Audi in my area has switched to Sportec exclusively.

SpinEcho
August 31st, 2005, 03:53
Hey - post some pics of your Beast (and let's see the Viper and the Ruf as well!)

REVO'dRS6
August 31st, 2005, 04:18
Nice stable!!
I was recently at the Ruf store in Dallas and am seriously considering the 650hp AWD version of the RT12 turbo. How has the ownership experience been? And more importantly would you buy another?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
:bow:

vs2
August 31st, 2005, 04:25
Good news about the REVO.
What about the REMUS?

I've just brought a Dynamometer (www.dynapack.com) 1600hp 4 wheel drive pod system for a "tuner" firend of mine.
These machines are as accurate as you can get. I will post a print-out after i get the REVO, Exhaust and BMC filters.

gjg
August 31st, 2005, 05:36
do a "REVO" search on forum ....

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4201&highlight=revo

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6304&highlight=revo

and other

nene
August 31st, 2005, 05:46
Originally posted by AMG EATR
Need to chip rs6 but have a few questions.

There is no best chip out there in my view. There are personal preferences however. As far as mine for example, I'd always choose MTM first, and everyone else last. My second choice would be Abt, but they don't do re-programming for the US bound cars.

Well...you got an expensive car. Expect to pay top dollar for 60HP/150TQ more. I'd say ballpark figure of around $2700 at the very least.

I would expect every dealer will give you hell for being chipped. You have no reason to expect otherwise. Some folks have been lucky, or so they say. That depends on how much love you've given them in good times, to expect something back during stormy days. However, you got to pay to play my friend. Even if it is a pebble stuck on your pads and rotors, as soon as you are chipped, you might as well go in there in women's underwear (if you are a man of course)! You are SOL (shiite-outta-luck)!
Some of my forms of love include (and not limited to): fresh brewed coffee and donuts/muffins/bagels when I show up for service at 6:30am; sets of 2 tickets to sporting events for service manager, 2 service advisors, and 2 mechanics (only 2 that are suppose to work on the RS6; sporting events include Red Sox and Celtics to which I'm season ticket holder, so not much of a pain to give out); come in once every 2 months to place "fake orders", but instead say hello to service folks in case there are new faces and such (usually I try to come in at around 3PM...this way its close to end of day and everyone needs a little coffee and a few home baked cookies for that afternoon pick-me-up).

That is my final answer.
I really love Audi's and have been a big fan for a long time of the brand. I figure I'm most likely going to keep buying Audi cars for a long time, and really want to build a relationship with my dealer. I was a customer when buying the car. But now, I feel like the service dept is my customer. I give them love, and love I've been able to get back.
Just so you know, I'm not currently chipped. However, when I had the S4, I have received a couple of free oil changes between service intervals, and when out of warranty. Received free alignments with aftermarket wheels and aftermarket suspension. The list goes on and on my friend. I don't always get everything for free, and neither do I expect it. However, a few things here and there, I'm sure could save my behind one day. Case in point, who knows, maybe when I'm chipped, they'll look the other way, and I get a do-over! Still can't say that will happen though. AGAIN, even with all the love, I am not expecting it.

Good night everyone.

AMG EATR
August 31st, 2005, 06:09
Nene, yes flattering your service department will always help. I dont know why you said 2700 is the least expensive cause Revo makes similar power curves and only charges 900. Also, these programs can be flashloaded back to stock so in a way if something went wrong you could flash to stock and dealer would have no idea.

Dan

Erik
August 31st, 2005, 08:48
Originally posted by REVO'dRS6
I will be doing the Texas mile ( land speed racing) Oct 22 &23. I am thinking 175-177 range over the mile:wo:

Pics and more info when you are done please... (e-mail me)

SpinEcho
August 31st, 2005, 13:22
Nene -

No wonder Audi NA's service and sales suck sh*t. Because of you, they think we're selling and they're buying....

:doh: :vhmmm:

LOL

iconcls
August 31st, 2005, 15:12
Originally posted by nene
tickets to...sporting events include Red Sox and Celtics

I thought the idea was to give stuff they might actually find desirable!?!

Erik
August 31st, 2005, 15:19
Originally posted by REVO'dRS6
Nice stable!!
I was recently at the Ruf store in Dallas and am seriously considering the 650hp AWD version of the RT12 turbo.

I agree, that's a nice stable. Pics and stories pleeeze! :hahahehe:

I am going down to Ruf in a cople of weeks. The RT12 was there last time. If you have any questions please let me know. I'll be happy to ask for you.

nene
August 31st, 2005, 16:55
You are correct AMG_EATER_Man. The revo flashes your current chip, so it is cheaper. The "older" system where they actually solder a new chip on is more expensive. I think the flashing is now up and coming, and so far only done by Revo and APR I believe.

When it comes to sports, I think you always support your local teams, regardless of how good or bad they are. So, for the folks at the dealership, they are quite happy to get great seats for anything.

I am only looking out for my own. My BMW dealership is awful and I've been a customer of theirs since 1988. I am great friends with one of the managers in service, and I still get awful service. They just suck, but not because of me...but because of all the Euro students that come in there flashing all the green and buying BMWs right out of showroom floor. The service folks here get nada,nada,nada!!!

gjg
August 31st, 2005, 21:23
The revo flashes your current chip, so it is cheaper.

I'd disagree here - there is a serious difference between rewriting software and actual testing of what you have done. For $900 to get:

On the dyno, performance mode2 with turbo setting 6 (agressive boost) my beast is turning out 553 bhp and 605 torque.

such power without any changes to exhaust system is questionable at least and IMO only points to a software job. With number of packages sold you would not - even remotely - pay for any serious R&D.

Are we kidding ourselves here?

jimrd
August 31st, 2005, 23:34
Revo - Ruf was awesome to work with - best quallity and service ever. I had a 996tt converted to the full R turbo Specs - Ruf flew a technician to Colorado to do the work - only took 48 hours for the whole project. Amazing car - no issues - very solid - very fast.
I thought I had an issue once - Mr Ruf flew another technician over who worked on the car for a day only to determine I had bad gasoline - NO CHARGE! I will definitely go with Ruf again - next time starting from scratch in Germany!:0: I will try to attach some pictures

jimrd
August 31st, 2005, 23:34
Ruf R turbo

jimrd
August 31st, 2005, 23:37
Sorry boys - I'll try again later:doh:

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 00:49
I can't seem to post any more at this time.......I'll try to get it to work later. I can post some pics of the Viper and the RS6 if you like.

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 00:50
one more try...

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 00:52
hurray.....

Bauer
September 1st, 2005, 01:12
Very nice..... I think Ruf is top quality!

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 02:17
another

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 02:25
And the bully of the block....

2004 SRT-10, 522ci stroker twin turbo built by Jason Heffner in Baltimore.
906 rwhp on 91 octane
1015 rwhp on 100 octane
1200+ rwhp on race gas

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 02:26
another...

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 02:27
the motor........

SpinEcho
September 1st, 2005, 03:01
:bow: :bow: :bigeyes:

Thanks for posting the pix!

What a monster that Viper must be....
Do you prefer it over the Ruf? (I know, apples and oranges)

BTW are those Sportec 19"? Nice.....
Do you find much of a difference ride/handling-wise compared to the OEM wheels?

jimrd
September 1st, 2005, 03:23
SpinEcho - as you indicate the Viper and the Ruf are very different cars - both amazing, fun, fast, beautiful.
Viper - raw, brutal, will spin the 345's @ 100mph on full boost
hot, loud, interior rattles - did I say raw?
very agile for weight, corners exceptionally well in warm,
dry conditions, pnenomenal brakes
this car has similar power and acceleration to the Henessey
car that won the standing mile competition

Ruf - very quick, very easy to drive, reliable, comfortable, would probably destroy the Viper 0-60 because of traction. Over 80mph, Viper would crush it. Overall the Ruf car is wonderful. If I could only have one or the other, the Ruf would win - it can be driven in a broader range of conditions, is likely not to leave me stranded, and is more "elegant". Having said that, there is definitely something to be said for having 1000rwhp available on pump gas:D

The Wheels are 19" - not too noticeable of a diifference in ride or handling.

gjg
September 1st, 2005, 06:32
Viper is amazing :thumb:

Jim, I did not - even remotely - questioned RUF......

Revo - Ruf was awesome to work with - best quallity and service ever.

nene
September 1st, 2005, 15:04
Revo might seem like the new kid on the block, but I believe it is the same programming guy/team that was with APR, or something like that. Maybe I just read it incorrectly on another forum. Either way, maybe I can start the rumor :) !

Needless to say, I'm not as trustworthy of these US-tuner-teams when it comes to such a powerful engine. I'm sure they make decent products, but I'd personally stick with the Euro-tuners for the beast. Personal preference that is all, as I have not one shred of evidence to claim one is "better" than the others.

PS: love the pix

gjg
September 1st, 2005, 19:41

Revo might seem like the new kid on the block, but I believe it is the same programming guy/team that was with APR, or something like that. Maybe I just read it incorrectly on another forum. Either way, maybe I can start the rumor !

Nene, you're right on the money and no rumors - this has been discussed here before :

RS6 Member

For what it's worth, Ladies and Gentlemen:

From what I have read, Revo is a company who hired an ex-APR employee, and it was slapped with a lawsuit by APR in 2003 covering various points, not the least of which was the idea of flashing the ECU via the OBD port. Dunno if the idea was this ex-employee's, or if he "stole" it, and took it to Revo, but either way, it wasn't pretty.

I don't know what the final outcome of that lawsuit was, unfortunately. Here's a link to the files on the lawsuit, from APRs website:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/revo/

here is the link to APR website:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/revo/

and here is the link to the original thread:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4201&highlight=APR

Thread itself is also of interest as the issue of "no dealer detected/flashback tuning is discussed rather extensively including our favorite "no moral standards/cheating on dealer" subject.

:idea:

that applies to this current discussion as well....:harass:

blownaway
September 9th, 2005, 22:59
We had a GIAC chipped RS6 that I drove for a while and then sold. I have been a huge fan of GIAC for a long time now. The main thing to realize is that the transmission must be chipped as well to handle the extra torque. What is mostly changed is the shift points are spead up. The US cars had their transmission shift points slowed to make it a smoother shifting transmission. This of course, puts more wear on the transmission. Especially with the added torque of a chip. I have two or three modded ones around me that we have sold, if you are in the Chicago area, stop by for a spin. I can arrange it.

vs2
September 16th, 2005, 22:50
Well I now have the Remus exhaust, BMC filters and the REVO tip chip and ECU done. Took about 20 min. and we did about 10 runs up & down the motorway adjusting boost, fuel etc.

Conclusion:
Absolutely love it. Definately feels about 60kw increase and pulls much better esp. at higher revs. Gear changes are smoother and quicker and everything else is as normal - smooth idle, no hesitation through the rev range etc.

Just have the SP2 (Sp3 is on order) right now. It allows you to go between standard mode, 95 octane and 98 octane (or performance mode), and security mode which switches of the fuel.

In my opinion through the OBD port is the way to go unless you are doing serious modifications.

REVO'dRS6
September 16th, 2005, 23:21
Welcome to the REVO club. You will LOVE the SPS3 controller, the boost adjustments alone will blow you away. Good Luck!!