PDA

View Full Version : 1st magazine test of Bugatti Veyron

Erik
August 26th, 2005, 15:50
Don't know the source, but here it is:

The man instrument with a range from 0 to 1001 shows the actual power available at the wheels. "It takes only 270 bhp to achieve a speed of 250 km/h," says technilcal director Wolfgang Schreiber, one of 3 people who have taken the 16/4 Veyron to its limits so far.

"The Veyron exceeds all expectations" added the engineer. The engine produces 3000 hp but it takes 1000 hp to cool it, another 1000 hp get lost by heat and gas emissions and the remaining 1001 bhp are available at the wheels.

1250 Nm from 2200 rpm, even in 3rd gear all 4 wheels would spin in the wet if the ESP would be switched off. "It is forgiving and easy to handle but deserves a lot of respect."

The arodyminc set-up, the relatiosnhsip between drag coeffiecient and downforce has to be changed completely to achieve a top speed of +400 km/h, the drag coefficent comes to Cw=0.36 and it produces nearly no downforce in front and just 40 kgs in rear.

In handling mode up to 375 km/h the wings and diffusors produce a downforce of 150 kgs in front and 200 kgs in rear. As the Mercedes SLR, the Veyron also comes with an air brake as the rear wng flips up vertically producing 300kgs of downforce at the rear and so an decellartion of 0.6g to come to halt.

The Veyron has 4 water coolers, 2 intercoolers for the turbos and two larger ones for the engine coolant. The ideal temperature to reach the top speed of 400 km/h is between 18 and 28 degrees Celsius. In city traffic, the rear wings flips up into cool-down position and the 16/4 Veyron is surrounded by clouds of heat, gas, dust and smell. The air is flickering as if the Veyron is a Fata Morgana.

The Veyron covers the whole range form 40 to 400 km/h comfortably, all parameters of the suspension can be adjusted, the groudn clearance ranges from 115 to 35 mms.

The Veyron is fitted with Michelin PAX-tyres in the dimesion of 265/35 R 20 in front and 365/25 R 21 in rear.

A 1-million Euro Playstation!
Why? It always feels like driving in a virtual universe.

The kerb weight: 1950 kgs !!!
0-100 km/h in 2.5 secs.* (like Valentino Rossi?s Yamaha!)
0-200 km/h in 7.3 secs.* (like Micheal Schumacher?s F2005)
0-300 km/h in 16.7 secs.* (like starship USS Enterprise)
*mfr.

transmisison: 7-speed DSG with paddles

fuel consumption:
av. 20 liters per 100 km
100 liters per 100 km at top speed!
max range = 100 km at top speed, a new record!

"300 km/h is nothing for the Veyron, there still is enough power to achieve 380 km/h easily. But it takes 55 secs. to accelerate from 380 to 405 km/h."

Vmax = 111 meter per second!,
the engines revs 6000 rpm in 7th gear,
tyre pressure raises from 3.0 to 3.5 bar in within 15 secs.
it would take another 8 bhp just to achieve 1 km/h more.

Review:
"In the beginning there was chaos. The fuel amount made available by the fuel pumps was just enough to achieve 650 bhp, we had to develop complete new fuel pumps and modern knock sensor technology. There were problems with the drive shafts losing the grease."

How many cars are sold?
the figures vary from 30 to 40 units, means that another 10 still will be available for 2006. No potential customers so far had the chance to test drive the car.

Benman
August 26th, 2005, 15:56
Originally posted by Erik
Don't know the source, but here it is:

"The Veyron exceeds all expectations" added the engineer. The engine produces 3000 hp but it takes 1000 hp to cool it, another 1000 hp get lost by heat and gas emissions and the remaining 1001 bhp are available at the wheels.

In city traffic, the rear wings flips up into cool-down position and the 16/4 Veyron is surrounded by clouds of heat, gas, dust and smell. The air is flickering as if the Veyron is a Fata Morgana.

:confused:

0-300 km/h in 16.7 secs.* (like starship USS Enterprise)
:thumb:
Ben:addict:

Qriouz
August 26th, 2005, 16:59
That car is unbelievable FAST!!
Who needs a car that does 0-100 kph in 2,5 sec, thats like just crazy....?

roadrunner
August 26th, 2005, 17:01
Don't know the source, but here it is...

It is a translation from the last AutoBild. It was not realy a test - they called it "a first drive". Therefore the figures where probably supplied by Bugatti - nevertheless - an extraordinary car :wo:

Greets
Seb.

highrustler
August 31st, 2005, 06:08
I saw my first Veyron today! I felt like a complete and utter pipsqueak in my lil' RS6 compared to this mind-blowing machine. I nearly hit the car in front of me I was so awestruck and excited. It had a white body with aluminum/silver fenders. It was heading into Boulder on 36 which made me wonder if they are doing some high altitude testing… as Audi did with the RS4. OMG… words cannot describe how ridiculously insane this car is in person. I’ll shut up now.

James

Benman
August 31st, 2005, 15:30
Originally posted by highrustler
I saw my first Veyron today! I felt like a complete and utter pipsqueak in my lil' RS6 compared to this mind-blowing machine. I nearly hit the car in front of me I was so awestruck and excited. It had a white body with aluminum/silver fenders. It was heading into Boulder on 36 which made me wonder if they are doing some high altitude testing… as Audi did with the RS4. OMG… words cannot describe how ridiculously insane this car is in person. I’ll shut up now.

James
Are you serious?!?:bigeyes: That would make you one of the very FEW people on this board to have seen one on the street! If not the ONLY one! Dang, I bet you WERE excited!:wo: :thumb:

Ben:addict: (silver and white, I think I'd like that combo!:thumb: )

Sander
August 31st, 2005, 15:47
Well done VW :applause:
0-100 km/h in 2.5 secs:MTM:

Nice!!!:thumb:

goku0815
September 2nd, 2005, 19:05
damn i loved this car since i first heard of it!
and now its finally at the point of production!
this is for me just like seeing a childs brith!
untill its out everything looks ugly and freaky around the "company" but when its out everybody is satisfied with the result and loves it!

jackal
September 2nd, 2005, 23:21
That is the most fantastic car!! :wo:

If your name starts with Sheik!! :(

The est. price in Denmark: 5,000,000 $, but then again... the best of the best!! :D

How well do you think it makes a speedbump?? :D

goku0815
September 2nd, 2005, 23:30
btw it´s called a bUgatti and not a bAgatti!
just for the correctness!

CarbonFibre
October 4th, 2005, 02:22
Here's the recent Autoweek article on the Veyron.

"...186 mph in just 16.8 seconds. The words 'battering ram' come to mind.

For comparison, a Porsche Carrera GT needs 34 seconds to reach that last mark, and we don’t recall anyone describing it as slow."

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103261

oswald
October 4th, 2005, 03:28
it's a really fantastic car, as fantastic as pointless. but that's what is beautiful about it ;-)

engine weighs in at 1400 pounds... that's close to 1700 lbs my mazda 323 gtx used to weigh... ;-)

i'm sure it's sold out already... condolences to the future drivers..

btw, put $100.000 into a supra and it's gonna do 200 mph in less than veyron does... ;-)

Erik
October 4th, 2005, 08:02
I heard that the DSG gear box cost more than the new RS4 :D

Benman
October 4th, 2005, 16:06
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
Here's the recent Autoweek article on the Veyron.

"...186 mph in just 16.8 seconds. The words 'battering ram' come to mind.

For comparison, a Porsche Carrera GT needs 34 seconds to reach that last mark, and we don’t recall anyone describing it as slow."

Saved me the trouble of posting the link.;)

Cool article of the Bugatti. May not be a track car (is that really what owners will buy it for?:vhmmm: ), but in a straight line...:MTM: :thumb:

Just Stupid Fast!

oswald
October 4th, 2005, 16:27
too bad all roads have turns... ;-)

i wonder what it would do in a quarter mile...

CarbonFibre
October 4th, 2005, 22:08
With weight and horsepower one could get a rough estimate of a quarter mile time (IIRC). I don't remember the formula though, nor do I have the time to look it up right now. :p
The heavy drag coefficient may hurt it a little at high speeds for a drag run.

Benman
October 5th, 2005, 16:43

The heavy drag coefficient may hurt it a little at high speeds for a drag run.
Well, considering the mag reports that it hits 250mph in LESS than ONE minute, I doubt it!:MTM: :thumb: THAT'S power!

CarbonFibre
October 5th, 2005, 18:33
Well, power can always help overcome aerodynamic hinderances. The Carrera GT isn't the most slippery car in the air either as these cars are set up for a bit of downforce. I'm guessing the Veyron will hit somewhere in the high 9 second range for 1/4 mile times, but it's really hard to know until someone tests it. Does it have launch control? That would make sense to have on the car if it has 987 hp and a DSG type transmission.

Bingocaller
October 5th, 2005, 20:06
Well, power can always help overcome aerodynamic hinderances. The Carrera GT isn't the most slippery car in the air either as these cars are set up for a bit of downforce. I'm guessing the Veyron will hit somewhere in the high 9 second range for 1/4 mile times, but it's really hard to know until someone tests it. Does it have launch control? That would make sense to have on the car if it has 987 hp and a DSG type transmission.

Is it even possible to make a clutch that can handle that amount off power regarding launch control?

Just look at the troubles Merc has with their 65 AMG engines :revs: :mech:

Or the limited amount u can use the LC on the new E60 M5 before u lose your warranty :doh:

freerider
October 5th, 2005, 21:51

It has launch control. The 2 seconds to 62mph (100kmh) is done with launch control.

eazy
October 7th, 2005, 20:26
Originally posted by Bingocaller
Is it even possible to make a clutch that can handle that amount off power regarding launch control?

It's only possible because it's a little bit oversized ;)

It weights ehm :idea: ... 120 kilograms :applause:

Skaala
October 16th, 2005, 15:14
test from Car & Driver

http://home.online.no/~eskaala/XX2453/Bugatti%20Veyron%20C&D.pdf