PDA

View Full Version : The RS6 Avant braking hard

Erik
February 13th, 2003, 23:01
An RS6 Avant braking hard during a test.
This pic is with original brakes.

http://www.cirena.com/bmwm5/RS6-braking-hard.jpg

Erik
February 13th, 2003, 23:03
And a picture of the brakes from the catalogue. :cool2:

target01
February 15th, 2003, 20:24
What's different about the optional brakes and the standard ones on the RS6?

Is it worth paying the £640 (BDP pounds) for them?

JP4
February 16th, 2003, 04:27
It's my understanding that the difference is the rotors. Standard RS6 rotors have a solid braking surface. The optional brakes have rotors that are cross-drilled. The size of the rotors and the calipers are the same. I have yet to see this in writing though. Hope this helps.

Whether it is worth the extra "bucks" is entirely subjective. IMHO If you're not going to change to an after-market brake system I would say it's worth it.

JP4

scoop
February 16th, 2003, 08:35
I guess the major benefit is the optics. And slightly improved braking performance in the wet.

As Nordschleife stated repeatedly now, due to the 8 piston caliper the pads are forced into smaller pieces which greatly reduces their actual durability. This will not be helped by cross-drilled rotors.

If you're planning for just plain old street usage of your RS6, the standard rotos and calipers are just fine. If you're aiming for a track day or two a year an aftermarket brake system would definitely come in handy.

Nordschleife
February 16th, 2003, 14:07
Patrick
I'm glad you read my posts!

However, the standard rotors and callipers may be ok for the UK or the States but not in Germany.

Car 1 with about 5,000km, less than 1000km left on the pads when the brakes were changed.

Car 2 with about 1600km, one fast trip from Munich to Achern for dinner and the rotors were completely blue (read stuffed, finished, kaput), only 3 stops from 280 to 80, and ABS did not go off.

I cannot think why the car does not come standard with cross drilled rotors, they look so much better!

When the demo fleet was at Le Mans, rotors were being changed on a daily basis, except for the cars Sepp was driving because he just throws the car sideways to slow it down!

I will be at Neckarsulm this week and have them on about the brakes!

R+C

scoop
February 16th, 2003, 14:10
Maybe we can meet there then. I'll (hopefully) be picking up my RS6 late next week (WITH cross drilled discs :D)

target01
February 16th, 2003, 15:13
I'm not exactly in the mood to go to the dealer every 5000 km's to have brakes renewed, I do hope you are referring to 5000 km's of HARD usage? If not, then perhaps the RS6 is not for me since I am not in the mood to spend extra £££ on an already expensive car that has inadequate brakes

Nordschleife
February 16th, 2003, 16:44
Originally posted by target01
I'm not exactly in the mood to go to the dealer every 5000 km's to have brakes renewed, I do hope you are referring to 5000 km's of HARD usage? If not, then perhaps the RS6 is not for me since I am not in the mood to spend extra £££ on an already expensive car that has inadequate brakes

No, not hard usage.
To be honest, most Supercars bend rims, need brakes upgrading and are much in demand of service.
On the other hand, I'm told that the new Ford Focus RS is really fun to drive, and a lot cheaper. Oh, and don't think that an M5 is any better......
In the UK you should be fine, after all you won't be doing more than 70 mph, will you?
"Anyone can afford to buy a fast car, few can afford to run them"
as my partner once observed about yacht racing. Iwouldn't buy a car like an RS6 if I was going to worry about how much it costs, otherwise it would be miserable.

R+C

Nrn
February 16th, 2003, 16:46
Originally posted by target01

Buy the car, have Mov“its fitted, problem solved! :D

No but seriously I can understand your concern, if you buy this type of car, of course you expect the brakes to messure up!

Is this a problem Audi is aware of? They have to change them for free atleast the first year, so thell probably if have sortet soon! :eye:

BR /Nicke

Erik
February 16th, 2003, 17:53
Regarding sport options let me remind you of this link:

http://audirs6.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176&highlight=sport+brakes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this 'floating callipers' do much help compared to the Movit configuration.

http://www.rs6.com/pics/RS6/RS6-Drilled-Discs-web.jpg