PDA

View Full Version : Water brake cooling

J0X
August 17th, 2005, 19:07
I took an inspiring drive today up in the hills with a car that normally isn't intended for that sort of braking going downhill, not to mention not used to (missus' A4 3.0). When I got back, the discs were insanely red so I gave them a cold shower. Could that be damaging? Would I've been better off leaving them to cool themselves?

I've never seen that happen before in my life, and I've done some pretty hard breaking using cars with lesser brakes.

freerider
August 17th, 2005, 19:19
NEVER cool disk brakes with water. When iron (metal in general) is exposed to extreme temperature changes it tends to warp (sp?) or crack. I wouldn't worry too much though, these things are tough. If you don't feel any weird things during braking now, there's no problem (most probably).

Greetz Johan

J0X
August 17th, 2005, 19:27
Ouch! That's not what I wanted to hear!! Thanks for the wise words though – I'll see how they turn out. If everything fails and the discs warp, I blame who normally drives the car every day ;)

Audihead
August 17th, 2005, 21:09
The best idea is to drive around slowly for a bit and cool them naturally. Just like you would after lapping hard at the track. Never but never hit them with cold water! Hope they are o.k. for you.:thumb:

7:53 RS6
August 18th, 2005, 09:30
Accually some cars(rally /race) have installed a water shower at the brakes. As things get hot you have just to press button to give the rotors a fine shower for some cooling effect.

You probably used the brakes much moore than needed in that moutain drive.

Some say wharping a rotor is a myth, and its accually pads disposal that hit the rotor. We had talked about it before, but i think its very, very hard to warp a rotor. And its much moore often pad disposal that peopel think is warping.

But i think it may happen if the minimum allowens is past on the rotor, and its geting less material(thinner) when used to long. Its a reason why rotors have much material in them.

J0X
August 18th, 2005, 20:28
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Accually some cars(rally /race) have installed a water shower at the brakes. As things get hot you have just to press button to give the rotors a fine shower for some cooling effect.

Yes, I was pretty sure I had heard of that some place else, hence my - what I thought at the time - bright idea.

And its much moore often pad disposal that peopel think is warping.

Makes sense, yeah.

Oh and I can safely say that there seems to be no obvious / visible damage to the brakes, took it for a "see-what-i-f-ed-up"-drive today, and it was as smooth as before my hill climbing.