PDA

View Full Version : Michelin PS vs PSII

Aronis
August 16th, 2005, 01:27
Hi,

I need new tires, and I know I know, there are other posts....

I need specific clarification from the pros...

Michelin Pilot Sports listed on Tire Rack as XL load rating, while the PS II's are NOT...

Has anyone been driving with PS II's on their RS6 and how important is the XL rating.......

Mike

Aronis
August 16th, 2005, 02:00
Conflicts of info....

Tire Rack Lists...

PS 255/40/YR18 for PS ones....load rated 99y

PS II 255/40/YR18 for PS twos...load rated 99Y as well.

Michelins brochure.....shows PS II listed as 255/40/ZR18 with the load rating 99Y.

Hard to tell if the Tire Rack listing for the PS II is just a typo or does Michelin sell two lines of PSIIs???

Mike:w:

sturs6
August 16th, 2005, 03:06
Mike,
I ran PS2's on my car for about 15,000 miles and loved them the were a little loose in the rain but in the dry look out. I had them in 19's though and I needed spacers to do that but I think that was more the BBS CH wheels.
Not that it matters but I am currently running my Caddi on PS2's and I have a set in the box waiting to replace the old ones...
:cheers:
Stuart

JAXRS6
August 16th, 2005, 04:24
I bought 18" PS2s about two months ago and they say "Extra Load" on the sidewall twice, as well as 99y. Ordered them through a Michigan tire retailer who got them from Tirerack. I haven't really had time to "test" them yet, but they seem quieter than the previous Pirreli Rossos. No complaints after 2K mi.:D

The Extra Load feature is important IMO. For one thing it's recommended by AOA, and I don't think they have anything to gain from that recommendation other than safe driving for their customers. For another, consider the weight and its distribution in the RS6: 4150 lbs, 58% up front. That's 2407 lbs over the front wheels, or about 1200 lbs per front tire. I'm no engineer but it certainly seems feasible that inertia from hard braking or hard cornering, and especially both -- even at legal speeds -- could throw 1700 lbs onto one front tire. That's close to the Extra Load limit without even accounting for the weight of a driver, passenger(s), cargo and fuel. And if there's a pothole during that cornering or braking, watch out!:MTM:

Benman
August 16th, 2005, 16:47
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I bought 18" PS2s about two months ago and they say "Extra Load" on the sidewall twice, as well as 99y.

The Extra Load feature is important IMO. Consider the weight and its distribution in the RS6: 4150 lbs, 58% up front. That's 2407 lbs over the front wheels, or about 1200 lbs per front tire. I'm no engineer but it certainly seems feasible that inertia from hard braking or hard cornering, and especially both -- even at legal speeds -- could throw 1700 lbs onto one front tire.
Agreed. It is important, and they are available in that load rating. Everyone I speak to that has them loves them. They're only complaint is they have horrible wear life.

Ben:addict:

Bauer
August 17th, 2005, 07:43
I have bubbled two side walls on a set of 19" rims. These were Stewarts old BBS CH's

I have been happy with them with the exception of the weak sidewall....even with extra load rating.

sturs6
August 17th, 2005, 12:33
Originally posted by Bauer
I have bubbled two side walls on a set of 19" rims. These were Stewarts old BBS CH's

I have been happy with them with the exception of the weak sidewall....even with extra load rating.

Ben,
I had bubbled one with those wheels... I have since bubbled one on my Caddi's 19 in wheel!:cry:

PeterH
August 19th, 2005, 19:30
replaced the original P-Zero's on my car at 12K miles. PSII's bought from tirerack with the above mentioned 99Y load rating. I have been very happy with them. Mostly so far just daily driving stuff, but they seem quieter than the P-Zero's.