PDA

View Full Version : Finally - Some pictures of my new car

bilbozilla
August 11th, 2005, 22:58
I took these last night before I took my wife to the airport. Unfortunately, it was dark and I took them inside the garage. She took the camera with her, but gets back next week. I'll take some outside so you get the "whole effect".

As far as comparing the QP to the RS6, the RS6 has much more of a punch, BUT the Maserati is much more fun to drive and is more responsive than the RS6 and is better at communicating the road status to the driver. The steering is quicker, fuel consumption is worse, the transmission takes some practice, but is very rewarding when done properly. When driving the Maserati, you feel much much more involved than with the RS6. The balance of the car is absolutely phenomenal. It feels much smaller than it actually is.

I removed the rear mufflers and the car sounds phenomenal. When shifting from 1 to 2nd, when it dumps, it lets out a burble and crackle from hell. It is a blast. Totally juvenile, but completely enjoyable. I drive it with the windows down most of the time anyway as it just sounds too good to drive it any other way.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the RS6 and it was a great car, but it would be difficult to go back after having my new car for such a short time.

One of the very cool things about the car is its exclusivity. I was filling up the car (again) at the gas station and an S65 Merc drove up. The guy got out and looked at my car, said some nice things about it then said "Those things are like what, $200,000 or so, aren't they?" That immediately told me the guy didn't know jack about cars, so I led him on. I told him it wasn't cheap. I couldn't bear to tell him that he paid more for his car than I paid for mine.

One more cool feature about this car - insulated and cooled center console to keep your drinks cold.

bilbozilla
August 11th, 2005, 22:59
Notice the lack of a muffler.

bilbozilla
August 11th, 2005, 23:00
I'll post some more when I get my camera back and I can take some pictures outside.

bilbozilla
August 11th, 2005, 23:01
Help vent the heat

gmbh6
August 11th, 2005, 23:07
Congrats on your new car.

I've seen some around town and they look nice.

HOWEVER, this is on RS6 owner that would still take the beast over that car any day of the week.

:addict:

bilbozilla
August 11th, 2005, 23:14
but it is identical to my car

iconcls
August 11th, 2005, 23:33
Really fantastic choice!

My AW post from earlier this extolling the Quattroporte (http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/542029.phtml)

Benman
August 12th, 2005, 00:09
Originally posted by bilbozilla
The fuel consumption is worse,
Nice review bilbozilla.:cheers:

I kinda figured everything you said would be the case. The Maser is lighter, with vastly better weight distribution and was built with the MAIN goal being a driver's car rather than the land rocket the Beast is.

One thing that VERY much suprised me was the part I quoted. It really gets WORSE fuel mileage?!?:vhmmm: Dang, that's crazy! The car is:

A: lighter
B: has less HP
C: has a 6 speed vs 5 speed transmission

All of those things HELP fuel consumption!

So the Italians must REALLY suck at getting fuel mileage out of their cars!

Ben:addict:

bilbozilla
August 12th, 2005, 00:16
Originally posted by Benman

One thing that VERY much suprised me was the part I quoted. It really gets WORSE fuel mileage?!?:vhmmm: Dang, that's crazy! The car is:

A: lighter
B: has less HP
C: has a 6 speed vs 5 speed transmission

All of those things HELP fuel consumption!

But the fun power is 3500 and up. Redlines at 7,500.

The QP is 4,200#, isn't that roughly the same weight as the RS6?

Benman
August 12th, 2005, 00:21
Originally posted by bilbozilla
But the fun power is 3500 and up. Redlines at 7,500.

The QP is 4,200#, isn't that roughly the same weight as the RS6?
True that about the fun power, but then again, it's not like you kept yours under 2500 rpms on the Beast either.:D

And I didn't know the Quattroporte was that heavy. I thought the unloaded curb/base weight was said to be @3900lbs?

Are you sure the 4200lbs weight isn't the all liquids weight figure (all fuel, oil, fluids, etc...).

RS 6 base/ curb weight is 4100lbs and FULL fluids weight is 4300+lbs.

bilbozilla
August 12th, 2005, 00:38
Originally posted by Benman
Are you sure the 4200lbs weight isn't the all liquids weight figure (all fuel, oil, fluids, etc...).

RS 6 base/ curb weight is 4100lbs and FULL fluids weight is 4300+lbs.

The 4200# number could be wet.

Klint
August 12th, 2005, 10:38
Josh,

A massive congratulations on the new purchase! Definitely a car that needs to be driven!

The design still needs to grow on me, but I suspect it's one of those car that aren't justified properly in pictures.

Love the interior and ashame to see the Rs6 go....

Your still, most definitely welcome on rs6.com, so stick around.

Best Wishes,
Clint

Erik
August 12th, 2005, 10:55
Thanks for the report.

When I first saw the QP att IAA a couple of years back I was amazed.

Only 2 cars really struck me among thousands. The QP, purely for looks, and the Carrera GT, purely for technology.

I have driven the QP (very short, down at RUF) and wasn't a friend with the gearbox. :stick: :revs: :vhmmm: I am sure if we had a longer relationship everything would be just fine.
But I was surprised that the space for my head was not bigger.

Great car anyway! And stay around, this is a plce for high-performance good looking cars! :heart:

krm
August 12th, 2005, 15:31
Congrats on your purchase! That is indeed one stunning car, have seen and listened to a few drive by, they sure do make some beautiful sounds for a luxury saloon , can't imagine how it is without the mufflers! :MTM: :bow:

The QP is just so much more classy and sporty than anything on offer at the moment.

bonte
August 21st, 2005, 16:56
such a nice big car :alig:

IRl I think they are even more beautiful. And the sound :eek:

http://users.pandora.be/alfaromeo156/cars/maserati/maserati-quatroporte_ar156.wmv

http://users.pandora.be/alfaromeo156/cars/maserati/Maserati-Quatroporte_FifthGear.wmv

I like this piocture very much:

http://users.pandora.be/alfaromeo156/cars/maserati/maserati-quatroporte-01.jpg