PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to do this training...

Erik
August 8th, 2005, 10:09
Anyone here did anything similar? ( and I don't mean crashing a BMW) ;)
I am not sure the word 'leaning' it the right one. If you do this in 100 mph plus I think you're brain is thinking of other words...
However, it's a great way to reduce speed and save the car (and yourself) from (more) expensive repairs.

http://www.fahrerlehrgang.info/img2003/fl_2003/mini/DSC_0024.jpg

Guard rails - Safety Training
Final option in case of traffic jam and immenence to drive against other cars:
keep to the left and further slow by leaning to the guard rail.

Link:
http://www.fahrerlehrgang.info/version_en.html

7:53 RS6
August 8th, 2005, 11:24
This is super fun, we did exatly this at Nurburgring 1993 in the BMW Sport Club Europa event. Even my girlfriend at the time did it as well. Can you imagin the looks on ouer faces when they offerd brand new BMW car for this training.

As you wright its the best way to stopp a car on atobhan if you see a series crash on the autobhan and you know you wount stopp the usuall way. And its minor damages to car if compared to driving in to the tail of cars in front.

When done its importent to get close the rails relly slow and when very very close go against and do a full maximum turn on the steering wheel. You feel the car as glued to the rails when metal to metal .

Erik
August 8th, 2005, 11:46
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
You feel the car as glued to the rails when metal to metal .

:MTM:

mr
August 8th, 2005, 14:33
:MTM:
wow mad!!!

sounds really like fun - if you're used to such drifving maneuver!!!!

really mad!!!

iconcls
August 8th, 2005, 15:04
I can't think of a better use for a Bimmer.

Benman
August 8th, 2005, 15:46
ROFL!!!:applause: :applause:

You know, if you're NOT tailgating in the first place, you'll NEVER need to use that maneuver! Let's see... 80% of ALL vehicles in the US are trucks and SUVs, my RS 6 can outbrake ANY of them and all others with the exception of only .2%. I don't tailgate, so I only worry about someone rear ending ME!:rolleyes:

Ben:addict:

Aronis
August 8th, 2005, 16:19
You mentioned SUVs and braking....

Had to relay this story.....

Simsons Episode which I watch last night...

Kids out on highway in Homer's RV, Mom trying to catch them, SUV's blocking their way,

Homer say's

"Don't worry Honey, there is a GENTLE curve up ahead...."

All the SUV's go right off the road and catch fire....

laughed my a$$ off on that one!

Cartoon mimicking real live...

Mike

Klint
August 8th, 2005, 17:51
@ 1000 Euroes per driver, I can still see the guard rail driving tactic being profitable. :bye:

Kev.S
August 8th, 2005, 18:27
Used to lean on other cars all the time to assist in cornering, braking etc. We called it Rallycross!

Benman
August 8th, 2005, 18:38
Originally posted by Aronis
You mentioned SUVs and braking....

Had to relay this story.....

laughed my a$$ off on that one!

Mike
ROFL!!!:applause: I was laughing crazy on that one as well. SO funny!:applause:

Ben:addict:

gjg
August 8th, 2005, 21:12
Originally posted by Benman

my RS 6 can outbrake ANY of them and all others with the exception of only .2%. I don't tailgate, so I only worry about someone rear ending ME!

that's what scares me too - going 160 km/h with some a$$hole in Fiat Panda or small Skoda or VW Golf glued to your bumper ........