PDA

View Full Version : Ipod via ICE link with Sat Radio - all working great!

Aronis
August 7th, 2005, 21:39
I searched and searched and found all the bits of information I needed to hard wire the ICE link into my headunit and still allow the Sat to work.

It works great! Had to determine which of the wires from the Dension ICE link went where since I ended up with the In the Trunk Kit by mistake.....

Anyway, love the IPOD with direct connect, much cleaner sound, and neater install, no wires all over the place....

Now I am going to fabricate a wood box with a drawer to mount under the armrest so that the IPOD can slide out for use, and go back for invisibility...theves everywhere you know.....lol...

Mike

I would match the interior wood trim as a wood sellection but I have Carbon! Perhaps I can find a Rare Carbon Fiber Tree...

:360:

Silversleepa
August 17th, 2005, 14:14
Mike....you can take your little box to any competent tuning/interior shop and most can make a carbon fiber cover for your new toy to match the carbon we have in our cars...

Aronis
August 17th, 2005, 15:36
excellent, carbon fiber cover LOL...

Good idea.

Mike

:D

Benman
August 17th, 2005, 15:44
Originally posted by Aronis
excellent, carbon fiber cover LOL...

Good idea.

Mike

:D
That is a good idea.:thumb: Since you went through all the hassle for the clean install, why not go the extra mile.:D

Ben:addict:

highrustler
August 17th, 2005, 16:31
How does the ICElink integrate? I thought you had to connect it to the CD changer cable in the trunk. If you don't mind, could you just give me a tutorial on how this works? Thanks in advance!

James

Aronis
August 17th, 2005, 16:58
First of all the Head Unit in the car has two methods of data communication to other devices.

First is the Older Data In/OUt and Data Clock used for the standard CD Changer.

Second is the Can Bus Hi and Lo inputs which communicate to NAV unit, Sat Radio,and other onboard computer.

The ICE LINK takes advantage of the CD changer inputs including the older Data in/out and Clock lines.

The problem is that the head unit only has one set of sterio inputs which are used by the Changer or Sat radio.

Audi (or who ever makes/specs out the sterio) used the addition of INPUTS on the Sat Radio Reciever to by pass this limitation.

By searching and reading on line as well as via the Bently Manual, I was able to piece together the needed info to allow both to work simultaneously.

Ultrasport Sal had some of the info and infact offered a cable for sale which would allow you to do just what I did, he was not exactly willing to share the pin information needed.

I wanted to buy the Head Unit connection kit but was sent the wrong one. So I had to back figure the pin assignments on the CD Changer connector which came with the ICE Link.

Fortuanatey there was a post on the forum which describe quite nicely how someone installed a Symphony Two and Sat Radio in their A6. They had the factory CD Changer cable but had to change some of the pin assignments to do this. From that persons post I was able to determine which wires I had to move. (his PDF file is quite nice, but he neglected to put his name on it...so I cannot give direct credit to him.

So the Sat Radio Sterio inputs let you input the ICE LINK signal via the Sat Box, and via the Head Unit button you select your source. When you hit CD the Sat Radio passes through it's input signal and turns off the Sat Radio signal. Exactly how, not sure!

The needed things....

Some of those Pins to add some wires, three that fit the Head Unit and Three that fit the inputs on the Sat Radio.

If you use the Head Unit ICE LINK kit, you still need three more pins but I think it would be a bit easier to do.

Just route the left right and signal ground to the trunk to the Sat Radio box, and reconnect the Sat Radio left right and signal ground WHICH ARE LEFT UNPLUGGED IF YOU USE THE HEAD UNIT ICE LINK KIT!

I used a four conductor wire to relay the signal to the trunk. The ICE LINK uses NICE SHIELDED WIRES and YES I SOULD CHANGE THEM.....LOL....some day, but the singal is just fine.

So both work!

If you get the Trunk Kit, and you actually have the Factor CD CHanger cable in place and have Sat Radio inplace then I ASSUME (ass out of you and me) that there will be a connector which allows 1. the Sat Radio to plug in and 2. The CD Changer to Plug in. Thus the ICE LINK should be a simple plug and play, no changes needed!

YES THE CAR IS SET UP TO HAVE BOTH A TRUNK MOUNTED CD CHANGER AND SAT RADIO. It is very clear in the sterio wire diagrams, this is independant of the fact that the head unit also has a changer built in.

have fun....

If you need specific pin info let me know.

Mike

nyrs6
August 17th, 2005, 17:12
Wow Aronis you have alot of time on youre hands. Why not use the extra time to :incar: :D

Aronis
August 17th, 2005, 18:09
Time, who are you kidding.

I kind of picked at the info search over a few MONTHS, with down time in the office....

Then once I had all the parts in place I waited until everyone was asleep, and went to the garage to install it.

It took me about 1.5 hours or so, plus the 20 minutes I just spent fabricating a mount for the ipod cradle, looks nice actually...

Mike

Silversleepa
August 17th, 2005, 18:26
So, my dear Dr....when you are not saving the world, you are playing auto engineer??...next you will be a rocket scientist...no wait, that comes before gearhead...!! mech: I just got the bentley CD-ROM myself..can't wait to install it and take a look!!deal:

Rich:

Aronis
August 17th, 2005, 18:34
Yesterday AM I changed the oil and vacuumed the Air Filters, and check the brakes....1/2 worn all around.

The Air Filter change/clean is a pain in the a$$. Twenty some odd 1 inch long screws.....my wrist hurts LOL, have to get some hex drives for my Drill...number 20 Hex.

Brakes can wait another 20,000 miles I estimate, since I have 25000 on the car.

My tires are a different story, need to order some this week, but undecided on original dunlaps or Michelin PS 2's.

By the way I do all my own computer work as well at the office, network, etcs....even add hard drives etc....built a nice twin video card SLI rig 6 months ago...fast LOL...

As far as driving is concerned, we went to visit the inlaws in Canada this past weekend, 700 miles or so round trip, plenty of driving.

Warning: Ontario Police now have Radar Detector Detector which specifically picks up the Valentine One....mine now belongs to the OPP.

Mike

Next Project_ install K40 radar...perhaps...

SpinEcho
August 18th, 2005, 02:11
Warning: Ontario Police now have Radar Detector Detector which specifically picks up the Valentine One....mine now belongs to the OPP.

My condolences, Mike. BTW, they've had Spectre for a couple of years, now. Nothing is immune. Your best bet is to switch off your detector when you get a signal - you can detect their radar long before Spectre can see your detector.

Of course, you can always be brave and stuff the detector down your pants (I would NEVER do that :bye2: ), and hope they don't rip the car apart and arrest you for obstruction of justice...

Aronis
August 18th, 2005, 03:38
what ever they detected me with DID not produce any warning on the detector itself!

I do have a summons to appear.....no specific fine, and no 'mail it in' service.....so I have to drive up 4 hours each way....to appear...

Why not just give me a ticket, and I'll mail you a check! Ah?

Mike

SpinEcho
August 18th, 2005, 04:44
what ever they detected me with DID not produce any warning on the detector itself!

I do have a summons to appear.....no specific fine, and no 'mail it in' service.....so I have to drive up 4 hours each way....to appear...

No radar detector currently sold can detect Spectre.

Weird about the summons. Were you speeding, too? Not sure how it works for residents of NY state. I do know that Ontario and NY have a reciprocal agreement - if I get a ticket in NY it affects my insurance and demerits....

I agree with you - why not just let you send in some money? After all, why pretend that this is anything but another tax?

Aronis
August 19th, 2005, 12:19
He said that he was doing me a favor by not giving me a speeding ticket.

The entire road was moving along both lanes INCLUDING the police officer, who I did see moving in and out of traffic.

If I was SPEEDING SO WAS HE.

That is why he 'did me a favor.'

Mike

SpinEcho
August 19th, 2005, 22:17
How generous of him.

I hate to dis cops - after all, maybe I'll be saved by one someday - but they truly are an arrogant law unto themselves. Not the brightest bulbs in the box, anvil-headed and possessed of a dangerous self-righteousness - what a combination! You were pulled over 1. because of what you drive and 2. because of your plates - plain and simple.

Out of curiosity, where on the 401 did you get pulled over - anywhere near Napanee? The OPP there are real hard asses, and they have a real attraction to Daytona RS6's - (don't ask me how I know).

Benman
August 19th, 2005, 22:25
Originally posted by SpinEcho
How generous of him.

I hate to dis cops - after all, maybe I'll be saved by one someday - but they truly are an arrogant law unto themselves. Not the brightest bulbs in the box, anvil-headed and possessed of a dangerous self-righteousness - what a combination!
Going way OT, but wanted to chime in, I agree. At least 12% of cops are really great guys. Sadly, the other 88% ruin it for the rest of them.:D

Aronis
August 20th, 2005, 00:16
Now easy does it.

Most cops do their job well, its the laws which are foolish. They have an often impossible job. I don't fault the OPP who caught me. As I quickly learned I was breaking the Canadian law, and he was placed in charge of finding those EVIL people who travel with radar detectors.

I'll pay the fine, but I don't want to have to drive all the way there to do it. Waste a day and 'stand in line' with all the other evil speeders/radar detector users, etc. From what I read the fine is up to $1000.00, plus the $400 for the Valentine One and $150 for the remote kit. Just tell me what the fine is and give me an address to send the check.

What I do fault is the obsurd law in the first place. Why do we have to appear in court for such a thing? What is the purpose of that? Do all Canadians who get speeding tickets have to go to court? How many out of area people have to trek back to Napanese for court? What if I was driving up from Boston and instead of 4 hours away, I'd have to drive 9 hours each way? Is that Justice?

The real issue is what to do about the really dangerous drivers, who don't bother with radar detectors, but rather drive like nuts without regard for the road conditions, their own ETOH level, the condition of their tires or brakes, etc. These guys are hard to catch and hard to prosecute for anything more than the actual speeding ticket or crashes results.

What Automatic Machine picks up those who drift out of their lane, drive too slow, block traffic, drop pieces of their car on the road?

Radar detectors prompt alert, speeding drivers to possible construction, road side hazards by Traffic Radar warnings, etc. That fact that you are traveling with a radar detector, implies your alert and watchful.

Why not bite the bullet and make a new Canadian Law....."All Automobiles shall be electronically limitted to 100 kph."

That would eliminate speeding on the highway at least.

But that would also eliminate the INCOME from speeding tickets! There is where the catch 22 is.

Speed Limits Mystify me anyway.

1. In the Winter when it is snowing What is the Speed Limit? The Same...and you can drive at that limit legally....no room for judgement.

2. Virtually everyone who drives, drives over the speed limit, often. People drive at a comfortable speed for them.

3. At rush hours in many places when the roads are most busy, more people are speeding, in tight traffic, on masse. What do we simply begin ticketting everyone electronically?

4. If you are traveling down the good 'ole 401 with a Ford Pickup Truck, pulling a 28 foot boat on a trailer with 12 inch wheels whose bearings have not been repacked in 20 years, at that magic 100 kph, in the rain, at night, Your a Safe Driver....but driving a Corvette on a sunny day with dry roads at 140 kph YOUR THE DEVIL.

Oh well, My last Trip driving in Canada will be to and from that court date, from then on my Canadian Wife can do all the driving up there.

Mike

Benman
August 20th, 2005, 01:53
If you are traveling down the good 'ole 401 with a Ford Pickup Truck, pulling a 28 foot boat on a trailer with 12 inch wheels whose bearings have not been repacked in 20 years, at that magic 100 kph, in the rain, at night, Your a Safe Driver....but driving a Corvette on a sunny day with dry roads at 140 kph YOUR THE DEVIL.
Mike
Amen. A great quantity of laws are stupid in the fact that they only lead to yet MORE laws. Most only serve to generate :deal: for government, who guess what, need MORE :deal: generating laws! Never ends.

As you say, sometimes it is not the cops fault that they have become glorified "Meter Maids".

In fact, sad TRUE story of a police officer in Florida who REFUSED to issue traffic tickets and got FIRED! He reasoned, "I became a police officer to save lives, NOT generate revenue for the city! That is a job for a Meter Maid! Show me even ONE line in my manual that tells me I MUST write tickets and I will!"

Needless to say the city could not! However, his cop "friends" made things difficult until he finally had to either comply or QUIT (basically fired). So he did the honorable thing. He quit. Sad.

SpinEcho
August 20th, 2005, 03:00
What do we simply begin ticketting everyone electronically?

They already do that in the UK with their nasty little cameras.

Originally posted by Benman
As you say, sometimes it is not the cops fault that they have become glorified "Meter Maids".

I realize the cops have a job to do, but let's not blame everything on the bureaucrats who pay them. As an example, it sounds like Mike was 'profiled' and stalked, despite, as he claims, driving no differently from traffic all around him. Why? To teach the rich guy with the fancy, fast car a lesson? And if we're teaching him a lesson about unsafe speeds, why delay in pulling him over, while driving in and out traffic at unsafe speeds?

Seems to me if the poor cop was pressured by his bosses to be a good "Meter Maid" he should have ticketed Mike sooner so he could get on his way to tax more criminals.

Sorry to rant, but this story sounds an awful lot like what happened to my wife last winter - similar location, identical car, slightly slower speed, stalking by cop for 15 minutes, not more than 5 minutes after 2 rusty minivans flew past us, swerving in and out of traffic, at 180 km/h.

bilbozilla
August 20th, 2005, 04:59
Speed limits, at least on US roads, are posted for a maximum speed that a laden 18 wheeler semi truck can safely travel, hence the reason you can take a 40 MPH corner much faster.

Support your local highway patrol. It pays off in spades. It's the out of state or country that'll get you.

Aronis
August 20th, 2005, 19:32
Originally posted by bilbozilla
Speed limits, at least on US roads, are posted for a maximum speed that a laden 18 wheeler semi truck can safely travel, .

Good point.

So why do the allow the Trucks so laden to travel at 5 or 10 over, but KILL you for 15 over in your car.....

Mike

oce
December 15th, 2005, 15:29
tried to send you a private msg, not sure if your still on the board. If you are, I am trying to get my local car stereo shop to do this mod for me so I can have icelink,in-dash changer and xm working all together. A couple questions.

1) do you have that pdf still or something that I can hand to these car stereo guys.
2) how do you switch between the cd changer and ipod if they use the same button?
3) do you know how to reach ultrasport-sal?

thanks

oce

Aronis
December 15th, 2005, 21:25
Hi,

I'm still here.

I have the files for you, but I have not yet put them into a neat format LOL

The CD button on the head unit cycles through CD dash, CD changer, CD dash, etc.

So when the IPOD is connected and you hit that button, the ipod starts, hit it again and it picks off on the last indash cd played.

I also added a jack to allow me to connect any audio source to the sterio, and as long as the ice link is connected (ipod does not have to be in the cradle) the source input works....ie a DVD player for Audio via the car sterio, etc.

The audio inputs for the ICE Link go via the audio inputs on the Sat Radio module, so you have to run a set of wires back to the trunk to connect there. The rest of the ICE link plugs into the back of the head unit.

If you happen to have the trunk mounted CD changer, then you would buy the ICE link which comes with the wires to connect back there, but this makes the TRUNK mounted CD changer nonfuctional!!!

So with ICElink properly installed you can have Sat Radio, IndashCD as well as ipod.

Mike

oce
December 15th, 2005, 21:41
Can I just say, this is awesome. I checked out my wifes 2004 A6 and I couldn't find her Xm sat reciever. Mine (in my RS6) is about a 10"x6" silver box sitting under the nav in the left rear compartment. I removed her entire left side panel and couldn't see anything that even looked like XM, but I did find the Xm radio ID stickers... Could it be on the right side behind the sub?

Aronis
December 16th, 2005, 21:47
You'll have to ask someone with a 2004 if they have the tech manual for the car...that will be the easy way to find it..or ask the dealership.

Mike

oce
December 19th, 2005, 14:08
thanks,

hoping to get this put in by christmas. btw, your private message box is full...

Aronis
December 19th, 2005, 15:04
I deleted some more today.....should work now......

Mike