PDA

View Full Version : Hotchkis Sway Bars Installed - Report

NWRS6
August 6th, 2005, 03:59
Hi all:

Just installed the newest version of the Hotchkis swaybars.

Took the shop 2 hours to do the work. Stock bars are pretty thin in comparison.

Ride quality: Stiffer by about 10%

Body roll seems to be reduced by about 25%

A worthwhile upgrade. In hard sweeping corners, the car leans noticeably less, and feels more sure-footed.

So far, no strange noises but those bushings will definitely need to be lubed periodically.

mi021le
August 7th, 2005, 04:36
thats a good report. thanks. im intrested now.:)

NWRS6
August 8th, 2005, 00:38
Hi:

After a but more driving, I'd like to amend a few things.

1. Ride is probably stiffer by about 15%, rather than 10%

2. Steering seems to be heavier

3. Car feels more stable all around

Benefits outweigh the costs nonetheless.

Benman
August 8th, 2005, 15:36
Originally posted by NWRS6
Hi:

After a but more driving, I'd like to amend a few things.

1. Ride is probably stiffer by about 15%, rather than 10%

Thanks for the update NWRS6,

I'd say more like (your original)10% stiffer, but we each feel things differently. Also agree with your 25% better body roll. Steering does feel better (heavier) to me as well. Misses never complains when parking for groceries.:p

Ben:addict:

NWRS6
August 8th, 2005, 17:17
Hey Benman:

Agreed. On smooth roads, it is rougher by 10%. But on rough roads (potholes etc.), it does feel stiffer. I like it though, and the misses doesn't complain either.

What are your thoughts on PSS9 for the RS6?

Benman
August 8th, 2005, 18:42
Hey Benman:

PSS9? Coilovers? You may have me mistaken with another member here that has them. My car is stock with the exception of the H-Sports.:cheers:

gregoryindiana
August 14th, 2005, 04:47

Ride quality: Stiffer by about 10%

Body roll seems to be reduced by about 25%

A worthwhile upgrade. In hard sweeping corners, the car leans noticeably less, and feels more sure-footed.

So far, no strange noises but those bushings will definitely need to be lubed periodically.

After reading in this thread and one prior about the Hotchkis bars, I went ahead last night and ordered a set for my car.

Installation timetable unknown at this point; I still don't have the RS6+ pedals in her yet. Lots of other competing priorities.

NWRS6
August 14th, 2005, 22:26
After more than a week, I am used to the slightly stiffer ride, and I love the fact that the RS6 is much flatter in corners. Call me optimistic but the handling of the RS6 now reminds me a little bit about my Porsches.

Benman
August 15th, 2005, 17:57
Call me optimistic but the handling of the RS6 now reminds me a little bit about my Porsches.
I've only driven a hand full, so I'll go with your opinion.;) Maybe not quite as harsh of a ride as the Porsche though, but not as sharp either, but yeah, gives it that feel.:cheers:

minimad
September 8th, 2005, 02:03
NWRS6 , did you install a pair of sway bar? (front & rear), I just rec'd my set today, I am considering to install the rear bar only, any suggestion?

BBGT2
September 8th, 2005, 04:01
Benman and NWRS6, you guys have me intrigued:0: !

Alright I give whats another mod to my car to have it corner and feel better like you guys say yours does.

Who do I call and how much are they?

Bajo:addict:

Bauer
September 8th, 2005, 04:46

I would look into STaSIS's Motorsport set up with the Ohlin's dampers. I have a set on my S4 and they are awesome..... if I were keeping my RS6 beyond the lease I would change them out. I would also do the front brakes in to the Alcon 6 pistons.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/audi_rs6_c5_suspension.html

http://www.stasisengineering.com/audi_rs6_c5_brakes.html

In my opnion they make some of the best stuff for Audi's hands down.

There was another RS6 owner (not on this board) that did the Motorsport set up and loves it. It is totally adjustable.

Ask for Jason x 119 if you call... he is very helpfull.

Toll Free: 888.9.STASIS
Local: 707.935.9700

btw, I have the Alcon 6 piston on my S4 and their rear brake set up. The suspension and brakes are far and above better then the stock RS6 set up.

I hope this helps.

NWRS6
September 8th, 2005, 05:43
Originally posted by minimad
NWRS6 , did you install a pair of sway bar? (front & rear), I just rec'd my set today, I am considering to install the rear bar only, any suggestion?

I installed both. Had the shop set them at the medium stiffness.

So far, they have been great.

NWRS6
September 8th, 2005, 05:45
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bauer
[B]I would look into STaSIS's Motorsport set up with the Ohlin's dampers. I have a set on my S4 and they are awesome..... if I were keeping my RS6 beyond the lease I would change them out. I would also do the front brakes in to the Alcon 6 pistons.

Thanks for the links....but wow....very very pricey compared to PSS9 which I was quoted $1500.

I'm sure a Stasis set-up would be awesome though ;)

Bauer
September 8th, 2005, 05:52
ya their stuff is not the cheapest but it is the best IMO. Not to mention they stand behind thier products and are very very helpful..... that is one of the reason I have bought so much from them. It can be hard to find a company as professional as STaSIS in this aftermarket world.

If you like I can try and dig up the fellow RS6 owner that has the set up.

Benman
September 8th, 2005, 18:09
Originally posted by Bauer
ya their stuff is not the cheapest but it is the best IMO.
I've looked at a lot of stuff for Audis as well and would agree with Bauer that stasis has very nice stuff. i wouldn't do their full set up on an RS 6 (only because I'm keeping mine very close to stock), but will definately consider their motorsport package if I pick up an old S4 next year.

BTW, stasis uses Hotchkis sway bars (front AND rear) on the Ultrasport package (Speed Channel) but for some reason only uses rear in their motorsport package (buy the whole package, get a free rear sway bar).

Not sure if this info helps or makes it even more difficult to decide to go with rear only or both. When speaking with the Hotchkis brothers, it is their recommendation to put both on (ala Utrasport on Speed Channel) since it is designed as a set.

Link for RS 6 set: http://www.h-sport.com/cgi-bin/EDCstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Shop%20by%20Make%3BAudi%3BRS6

jimmy94507
September 8th, 2005, 19:40
I installed both and am very pleased with the results, both on the street and the track.

Regards, Jim

Benman
September 9th, 2005, 00:28
Originally posted by jimmy94507
I installed both and am very pleased with the results, both on the street and the track.

Regards, Jim
Hey, my buddy Jim!:cheers:

Nice to hear from you.

It's good to hear that the ones that have them, like them. So far, I haven't heard of any dissatisfied customers.