PDA

View Full Version : tire wear problem

gjg
August 5th, 2005, 09:01
discovered excessive wear (down to the cord) on right rear tire approximalety 45mm inwards from tire wall. Wear is about even all around the tire.

All other three corners are worn out evenly. This happened during last 5,000 km because I had the car on jack 6 weeks ago and tires were ok.

tire Dunlop sp9000
approx. 25,000 km on tires

had the alingment done yesterday and ALL wheels are within factory specs although the righ size was little bit close to the border line. :vhmmm:

Stealer is looking in to possible tire deffect but I am not sure about that as this clearly looks like alingment problem.

As I had few long distsnce trips last three weeks and all were bit on high side speed wise I thought about possiblity of the suspension on that corner not being setup properly and allowing more "tilt" (for lack of my english) on the wheel at high speed thus causing such excessive wear?

Any thoughts?

Klint
August 5th, 2005, 10:40
George,

Could be many things.

I doubt the mixed levels of bodyroll could be to blame for this.

In my opinion 25k KM is quite abit of mileage on a set of tyres. Surprised they didn't finish themselves off earlier.

gjg
August 5th, 2005, 11:47
what puzzles me is that all other corners are worn out evenly, flat out. I did swap the tires F-R couple of times and they are about at the end of their life. As a matter of fact 4k km or so all 4 tires had pretty much same wear and nothing excessive was noticeable anywhere ...

Using gas and about 0.1 extra cold pressure, same pressure all corners.

I vaguely remember that some BMW tuner (Alpina ?) had problems with rear tires actually spreading out (for lack of better expression) at very high speeds and they used some electronic adjustment to keep the tire flat out on the ground at high speed (heat was more the issue than tire wear I guess).

So, I wondered if this could be the case here - I can drive, on a good day, 200 km strech between 200-260 steady ..... not to mention next door country :D

Benman
August 5th, 2005, 15:21
Originally posted by gjg

Using gas and about 0.1 extra cold pressure, same pressure all corners.

I vaguely remember that some BMW tuner (Alpina ?) had problems with rear tires actually spreading out (for lack of better expression) at very high speeds and they used some electronic adjustment to keep the tire flat out on the ground at high speed (heat was more the issue than tire wear I guess).

So, I wondered if this could be the case here - I can drive, on a good day, 200 km strech between 200-260 steady ..... not to mention next door country :D
Hey there George:cheers: ,

Stealer says tire defect huh? Figures.

You said the pressures were even in all four? And that you just noticed it over the last 4-5,000km? Alignment could be a good possibility but good luck getting dealer to fess up.

The speed issue you bring up could be a cause, but again, why only on the one tire? If the pressures were all even and the alignment was correct, then why just the one and not all four?

Klint,

25K km isn't too much, for us Yanks, 15.5K miles is average wear. I drive JUST as "spirited" as George (:D ) and got more than 15K miles on my Pirrelis and and looking to get more than that with the PS ones (slightly more reserved now).

Ben:addict:

Klint
August 6th, 2005, 13:29
Ben, George,

Curious as to what the legal tread depth limit is in your country?

Over here in the British Isles, we're allowed a minimum of 1.6millimeters. Maybe this is a factor in the different lifespan of the tyres between us?

I currently use Michelin Pilot HXs on the 325, attend trackdays and the likes, drive spiritedly on the public roads. They seem to last around 8k miles at max at the rear, 10k miles at the front. :confused:

gjg
August 7th, 2005, 10:21
I think CR is 2 mm - not sure though.

I have Dunlop SP9000 and they have the highest tire wear index (280) comparing with Pirelli (220) and Mich (140) - the numbers are from Tirerack.

So there will be slightly higher mileage ...

peterb
August 8th, 2005, 16:29
Originally posted by Klint
In my opinion 25k KM is quite abit of mileage on a set of tyres. Surprised they didn't finish themselves off earlier. [/B]
I've got over 20k miles on my SP9000s and still 3-4mm tread depth left!

Changed the SP9000s on my wife's A2 at 27k miles.

Kev.S
August 8th, 2005, 18:31
I had the Dunlops and they were doing very well until I managed to melt the outside tread of the fronts on the German Autobahns the week before last. (17000 miles) I lost 2mm in two hours!They'd have probably lasted another couple of thousand if I hadn't had a play!