PDA

View Full Version : noise

momo
August 3rd, 2005, 20:52
Hi, fellow owners. I need help solving a problem. My beast has now accumulated about 20k gently driven miles and has developed a moaning noise. It began about 7k miles ago with a intermittent groan from the ft left when turning at low speeds, (i.e. parking), and has now developed into a more persistent moan during higher speeds and warmer weather. I have also heard a clacking sound that is louder in hot weather and after a long drive.

Audi of Alexandria has not figured out what these noises are, (although they have heard them), and the Audi factory Tech is coming next week to look at my car. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have suggested tires, (but my dunlops still have plenty of tread), steering rack, (no leaks), warped rotors, (no pulsing), and transmission. I've searched this site and have seen some with related noise problems, but not my exact issue. The dealer said he had another owner who is also experiencing noises. Any suggestions before they take my car apart? Thanks

Aronis
August 3rd, 2005, 21:07
Sounds like the power steering groan.

My car has it too at slow speeds (and low engine rpms..)

There have been other posts on this....

Mike

JAXRS6
August 3rd, 2005, 21:34
Originally posted by Aronis
Sounds like the power steering groan .... There have been other posts on this.

Yes there have; a search for "groan" will find them:D

Unfortunately, a solution has not been found.:(

DaveyKid
August 7th, 2005, 13:56
It's been diagnosed and treated on my car. It did come back though, so what's causing it? Well, apparently the power steering line has a tendency to vibrate a bit and it causes the fluid to froth. This frothing creates bubbling which in turn causes the "groaning" at very slow speeds when the pump is under it's greatest stress.

Had the line bled (or burped, if you will!) and it's perfect now. Where, or how the air is getting in there in the first place is a bit of a mystery, but when bled, it lasts a good 3-4 months. Tieing down the line to something more stationary helps.

Nothing major.

JAXRS6
August 7th, 2005, 17:21
Thanks for the good news, DaveyKid!:applause: I just sent you an email.

Aronis
August 7th, 2005, 21:34
It's always great when a definite cause of a noise is found.

I have heard this same groan before in my A6 4.2 also at low engine RPMs, I assume there simply was not enough HP to turn the pump enough to produce the needed pressure to power assist the steering!

The air in the pipe sounds like the real deal. So no danger....just a groan now and then, not worth a trip to the dealer LOL.

Mike

Benman
August 8th, 2005, 15:32
Thanks for the find DaveyKid. :cheers:

Ben:addict: