PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hello

tonyh
July 24th, 2005, 11:25
Hi all. Just found your forum and like what i see :) I test drove the car below y'day and was blown by it. Truly an awesome car and very understated.
Could someone pls post a list of cost options available for RS6? From my brief look at UK cars, the Avant seems to be a more popular choice and prices are higher than saloon equiv. Is this right? Are there any weaknesess on cars i should know about, brakes,tyres, turbo probs, expensive servicing costs??
Sorry for all the questions at once and TIA.
Rgds
Tony

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?Id=500617993&DefaultImage=audi&Width=325&Height=213

Audi RS6 quattro finished in Avus Silver with black alcantara/leather interior. Specification includes anti-lock brakes, climate control, 6 CD autochanger, remote control volumetric alarm, power-assisted steering, driver/passenger and front side airbags with sideguard, 19" 5 arm alloy wheels, cruise control, satellite navigation Plus, electronic stability programme, front/rear heated seats, driver/passenger electric Recaro sports seats, driver/passenger electric seat lumbar support, immobiliser, front fog lights, electric/heated Aluminium door mirrors, headlamp wash, front/rear acoustic parking, electric driver/passenger seat height adjustment, front/rear armrest, front/rear electric windows, remote central door locking, xenon headlamps, rake/reach adjustable steering column/wheel, TV reception, automatic dipping rear view mirror, BOSE sound system and drivers information system (dis). Tyre pressure monitor, black alcantara headlining and cross drilled brakes.

SpinEcho
July 24th, 2005, 14:06
Welcome to the forum!

The answers to most of your questions can be found in old posts, so try a search. I believe you are correct that the sedan (saloon) version is not as popular in the UK and therefore is cheaper used, but perhaps a British forum member can confirm this...

You'll see from posts here that there are few problem areas with the RS6. Some feel the brakes are not up to snuff, although this seems to be a problem only at the track and possibly during very high speed (autobahn) driving. Although I'm sure it would be fun to take the RS6 to a track, it would hardly be my first choice!

Check out the tire debate going on right now, several posts below yours...

Turbos don't seem to be an issue for most people - in fact, transmissions are reputed to be the occasional weak link when the car is chipped.

Can't comment on servicing costs for the UK - our servicing here in Canada is free for 4 years/80,000 km (but after that I'm sure it will hurt).

I hope you take the big step and buy that RS6! :rs6kiss:

Klint
July 24th, 2005, 22:08
Tony,

Welcome aboard!

Your a regular in the GB side of ferrarichat.com ;)

tonyh
July 25th, 2005, 07:49
Thanks for the welcome. I have a few posts on Fchat , it's true. I've read on another forum the timing belt is fragile and needs replacing every 20k miles. Is this true and how much to have this done? I don't need another 355 type service expense for a daily driver.:bigeyes:

Benman
July 25th, 2005, 16:12
Originally posted by tonyh
Thanks for the welcome. I have a few posts on Fchat , it's true. I've read on another forum the timing belt is fragile and needs replacing every 20k miles. Is this true and how much to have this done? I don't need another 355 type service expense for a daily driver.:bigeyes:
tonyh,

Welcome to the board. I do not believe what you have heard about the timing belt is correct. I have already done my 25K service and the timing belt was not included (however Jax has more mileage so maybe he knows). I do not have the service schedule with me, but one of our members knows I'm sure.;)

And as for Ferrari running costs, I seriously doubt it. More like 911TT running costs.:D

Ben:addict:

Hy Octane
July 25th, 2005, 18:02
Timing belt is replaced every 35k miles..

tonyh
July 26th, 2005, 10:38
Thanks for replies. I'm checking with Audi UK about timing belt issue.
Rgds
Tony

JAXRS6
July 26th, 2005, 17:53
In the US, timing belt is replaced under warranty at 35K mi; next time it's due is 75K mi, which owner pays even under extended warranty because it's maintenance and not a failure. Replacement is labor intensive; Florida dealer estimated my cost next time at around $1200-1300 USD.

All this may be different in the UK, where I believe the factory warranty is just two years ... but "approved" chips are allowed. Correct?

Benman
July 26th, 2005, 17:57
Originally posted by JAXRS6
at 35K mi; next time it's due is 75K mi, Florida dealer estimated my cost next time at around $1200-1300 USD.

That price is a FAR cry from what a Ferrari timing belt would run...:bigeyes:

Ben:addict:

tonyh
July 27th, 2005, 07:35
The factory wrnty is 3 yrs in UK. Timimg belt is replaced @ 40 k miles here at owner's cost , which is £1k. You'd be surprised how competitive Ferrari sevicing has got . Belts and service is around £1.4k and belts are changed every 3 yrs.

Klint
July 28th, 2005, 09:29
Tony,

Check on the official Audi UK website for used cars, there maybe some approved used RS6s in there. Also worth a look, is the latest Autocar, seen a couple RS6s in there aswell.

GoodLuck with your search. :thumb: