PDA

View Full Version : Tires

oce
July 19th, 2005, 13:39
Ok,

I'm at 17K miles and looking to get a replacement set of tires. I think my first set wore wrong. After the last rotate, they "wah-wah-wah" too much.

I want tires that can perform at or near the vehicles top speed, but also want them to be the "quietest" possible. would rather hear the engine then road noise.

Any suggestions?

Aronis
July 19th, 2005, 14:20
I have about 12 to 15,000 on my original Dunlaps, with about 1/2 the tread left. It's good to split the tread life with snow tires LOL.

Mine are quite noisy, I rotated them back to front, but have not yet tried the side to side SHORT TERM rotation thing....

I have found that at 110 mph they are not so noisy! 401 in Canada.....lol...

I don't think any particular high performance tire is any more or less noisy than the others.

I'm going to consider PS2 for next summer, but will wear these down to nothing first!

Mike

JP4
July 19th, 2005, 15:24
I haven't actually tried them yet but would be inclined to try the new Toyo T1R. As you can see from the chart they are available with acceptable load ratings and sizes to fit the beast.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/sports_car/tr1.html

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=20

265/35/18 97Y
275/35/18 99Y

The 255 size tire is a bit too low profile at 35 and the load rating is only 94.

The 265 will just fit on the OEM 8.5 inch rims but 9 or 9.5 inch would be better.

The 275's will need at least a 9 inch rim and ideally 9.5 inch. There will be some rubbing at the top fender lip on the little screw that holds the fender liner when the suspension if fully compressed in the front. No fitment issues in the rear with these sizes.

iconcls
July 19th, 2005, 21:07
Originally posted by JP4
There will be some rubbing at the top fender lip on the little screw that holds the fender liner when the suspension if fully compressed in the front. No fitment issues in the rear with these sizes.

After 7 months of arduous research!

Hehe

Benman
July 19th, 2005, 22:27
Originally posted by JP4

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=20

265/35/18 97Y
275/35/18 99Y

The 255 size tire is a bit too low profile at 35 and the load rating is only 94.

Ehh...:confused:
I'm confused:vhmmm: . Why do you need those sizes? The link you post shows them available in the correct size (255/40/18) and in the correct load rating (99). Why not just get those? Did I miss something?:vhmmm:

Ben:addict:

iconcls
July 19th, 2005, 22:31
Originally posted by Benman
Did I miss something?:vhmmm:

You didn't miss anything, JP4 just has "track on the brain," he needs help real bad.

JP4
July 20th, 2005, 05:54
I'm confused:vhmmm: . Why do you need those sizes? The link you post shows them available in the correct size (255/40/18) and in the correct load rating (99). Why not just get those? Did I miss something?:vhmmm:

Sorry to confuse you Ben. You're correct. It IS available in 255/40/18 w/ load rating 99. They also have a 255/35/18 that has a lesser load rating and THAT was the 255 that I was looking at. I completely overlooked the 255/40/18. :doh:

ICONCLS is partially correct...:doh: I've been concentrating on R compound skins for a while which are virtually impossible to find in 255/40/18 fitment.

Anyway....I think the T1R's are a reasonable alternative for summer HP street tires.

ICONCLS will let us know VERY SOON I hope.:hahahehe:

Benman
July 20th, 2005, 16:03
Originally posted by JP4
Sorry to confuse you Ben.

I've been concentrating on R compound skins for a while which are virtually impossible to find in 255/40/18 fitment.

No worries.

Keep in mind that the 245/40/18 RA-1s that Toyo makes are nearly the exact same width as the 255/40/18 street tires that our Beasts come with (something about race tires vs street) so in effect, they are the same size, just don't have the correct load rating.

I've run their RA-1s on my Beast at several track events and have not had any issues to date. However, it is important that pressures are checked after each run.

JP4
July 20th, 2005, 17:54

I've run their RA-1s on my Beast at several track events and have not had any issues to date. However, it is important that pressures are checked after each run.

Ben,
Are you having them shaved before use or do you use them with full tread depth? The 275's that I'm trying now feel squirmy compared to the Pilot Cups but the RA1's are at full tread depth so it's not a good comparison yet IMO.

Your comments on this subject are appreciated.

JP4 :rs6kiss:

Benman
July 20th, 2005, 18:38
Originally posted by JP4
Ben,
Are you having them shaved before use or do you use them with full tread depth? The 275's that I'm trying now feel squirmy compared to the Pilot Cups but the RA1's are at full tread depth so it's not a good comparison yet IMO.
Nope. Wanted full tread for longer life (not a hardcore racer, if I was I wouldn't have bought this car.:D ). The key to getting the most out of full tread R compounds (or so I was told) is to really make sure you are doing warm up laps first before getting up to "full speed". It will help with the squirmy feel you mention as you are heating up the tires gradually.

With shaved tires, the handling as you mention is better and the warm up issue is not as big of a deal, but again, the tread life is worse and I want the most for my $$$. Once the tires are heated gradually and up to temp, I notice the car grips more and more (as with all race tires) and they are fine for me as I do not need to push the car any harder than what full tread R compounds offer (call me a wussy). Also, with the full treads having more depth and therefor a little less traction, I thought it would be a good thing considering that the load rating is not what it should be.

Let me explain. The guy (at Toyo) offered me the shaved option, but since I knew the grip would be even better (and therefore even HIGHER loads), I declined and stuck with full tread, not only for better wear, but better safety as the limits are not quite as high (we all saw what happened to Gote's (8:29RS6) car at the Ring.

All R compound tires I've ever checked into have insufficient Load ratings for the heavy RS 6. Our factory tires offer @1700 lbs whereas even the best Rs are right about 1400-1440lbs, a big difference. Slicks are even worse, and hoosiers are the ABSOLUTE worse for a heavy car at @ 1150lbs. But in their defense, they handle amazing!

JP4
July 21st, 2005, 05:30
Nope. Wanted full tread for longer life (not a hardcore racer, if I was I wouldn't have bought this car.:D ).

Once the tires are heated gradually and up to temp, I notice the car grips more and more (as with all race tires) and they are fine for me as I do not need to push the car any harder than what full tread R compounds offer (call me a wussy). Also, with the full treads having more depth and therefor a little less traction, I thought it would be a good thing considering that the load rating is not what it should be.

Ok WUSSY! :hihi:

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

JP4 :thumb:

Bauer
July 21st, 2005, 07:16
Track whores.....

I am glad I don't have that problem.:hahahehe:

JP4
July 21st, 2005, 14:56
Originally posted by Bauer
Track whores.....

LOL! :harass: I'm glad you don't have that problem too. It's a serious incurable disease. Excessive amounts of speed and lots of apexing will treat the symptoms but there is NO cure! :incar: :revs:

Benman
July 21st, 2005, 17:59
Track whores.....

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :applause: :applause: Yeah right!:D

Actually, I'm glad I'm stopping this insanity while I still can. My uncle is pushing me to enter the 25 Hours of Thunderhill with him and another driver this December. Luckily, I lack the minimum race requirement (9 road course races), so will not be able to join them driving the car (91' 2.3 Prelude) but will only be going as crew member.

I'm REALLY scared of getting addicted to racing so am actually glad it didn't work out (I do have a wife and child afterall). I'll try to limit my "exposure" to just track events but we'll see...

Bauer
July 22nd, 2005, 06:58
you wanna do it in an S4? I have though about it...looks like a lot of fun....and work. But I could see a lot of good memories and experiences from it.

Benman
July 22nd, 2005, 15:11
you wanna do it in an S4? I have though about it...looks like a lot of fun....and work. But I could see a lot of good memories and experiences from it.
:D It would be a blast for sure. I really would like to do it, but I've driven race cars and it is very addicting (now the M3 GTR that I rode shotgun in around the Ring in was a league above the race cars I have driven) and KNOW that once I did 9 races, I'd be hooked by then.

Keep in mind, for the 25 Hours, you must have a bare minimum of 9 road course races that are sactioned by NASA, SCCA, FIA, IMSA, TCRA, etc... so even if I started right now, at the very earliest, I could possible enter next years race in 2006 (last year was won by Randy Pobst BTW). So there is no possibility whatsoever for me to make this years race as even a THOUSAND "driving schools" don't mean spit (totally different beast).

Don't get me wrong, driving a race car is stupid fun, amazingly addictive, but I am a family guy now. If I was single, then heck yeah, but for now, I'll just have to content myself with track days...

Ben:addict: (Bauer, if YOU really would like to try the 25 Hours, I suggest you join one of those clubs I mentioned and start NOW. That way you'll have plenty of time to get in the minimum 9 races by the end of next year!:hahahehe: )