PDA

View Full Version : How Many Miles?

Finnus
July 14th, 2005, 13:46
It's hard to believe but tomorrow, July 15th, is my two year anniversary with the Beast! Remember the excitement of picking it up after, in my case, a 14 month wait from deposit to delivery??? I still chuckle to myself everytime I fire it up - that sound is totally awesome and so un-Audi-like. LOL

Anyways, I thought this would be an interesting time to check in and see how long you've had your Beast (in months), how many miles you've racked up, any encounters with the Law, and any other comments on your ownership. So here goes:

24 months
31,100 miles
1 Speeding ticket
Extremely happy with the car, no significant problems,
great service from Langan Audi, and greatly appreciate the
commraderie & knowledge on this board (thanks Erik &
everyone)

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

JAXRS6
July 14th, 2005, 16:13
23.1 months
42, 200 mi
Tickets? What tickets?:hahahehe:
No significant problems? I wish! But search for comparable car during each downtime incident resulted in conclusion that with 4 doors, good back seat, 450 hp and AWD, there is nothing to compare.
Dealers in FL and MI have been good. Audi's poor Europe-to-US communication caused one 30 day downtime, but resulting memo should avoid a repeat for others.

Overall -- not an easy road for me with the downtime, but it's been running great for months & may be my "forever" car if it behaves itself!:rs6kiss: :nono: :rs6kiss:

One of the biggest pleasures -- with so much useful info as well as a place to vent productively -- has been this board. Thank you Erik & Co.!:applause:

nene
July 14th, 2005, 16:14
Welcome back Bob. We've missed you around here.

24 months
26K miles
0 tix / 0 warnings (knocking on self wooden head)
Couldn't be happier. Worth every penny I've paid for. Just love this board. Props to the Big Daddy Mod and all you fellas!

Hy Octane
July 14th, 2005, 17:37
13 months
15,000 miles
No Tickets
Car has malfunctioned since first month of ownership and has been in the shop for the same problem now at least 8 times. I have yet to feel this car work the way it is supposed to.. cant wait to feel full power.. The good news is that we think we have found the culprit. It is looking like the cause of my engine problems might not actually be the engine.. Audi has sent one of their top dogs to work on my car and he has found some readings that suggest it might be the transmission that is overheating for some reason to be determined .. the oil gets too hot in the tranny under normal use and the TCU is telling the ECU to cut power to protect the tranny. This explains why the boost would cut out even tho the temps were normal.. Up until now we have been focusing on the motor.. it looks like it may have been the trans all along.. They still are evaluating and deciding what to do.. but at least we have finally identfied the culprit.. now fixing it is another story.. The main relief here is that the Audi people I have been dealing with now know I'm not crazy and the expert described exactly the symptoms he felt after driving it just like I explained to my SM. I am vindicated..
More later..

Benman
July 14th, 2005, 18:11
Originally posted by Finnus
It's hard to believe but tomorrow, July 15th, is my two year anniversary with the Beast!

Extremely happy with the car, no significant problems,
great service from Langan Audi, and greatly appreciate the
commraderie & knowledge on this board (thanks Erik &
everyone)

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Finnus

Great idea!

Aug 22nd is mine.

So far:

27,850 miles

No tickets! (my beautiful wife was with me the ONLY time I got pulled over in the Beast, and therefor Mr. Office let me off with a warning, saying, "slow down and keep this pretty lady safe".

Had GREAT service at Advantage Audi (but no longer a dealer) and now have good service at Walter's Audi (personel is great, just not the dealer).

Also like Finnus, no real issues (lucky so far) and absolutely LOVE this car. Like JAX, as long as no big issues come up (or big crash), I see myself keeping this thing for a LONG time.:thumb:

HyOctane, your experience is SO unfair. I really do hope this is the LAST time you have problems with your Beast, it's meant to be ENJOYED, not driven over and over to the dealer.:(

Ben:addict: :heart: :rs6kiss:
And of course, a thanks also to Erik and the mods!:thumb:

LIRS6
July 14th, 2005, 19:30
14 months (purchased new May 04)
3 week layover due replacement of faulty wiring harness, otherwise this car is everything I could have wished for ... and more.:rs6kiss: Didn't take me long to decide to buy an extended warranty - this car is a keeper!

gjg
July 14th, 2005, 19:39
Picked up my second rs6 (+) on August 30 last year. In 10 months racked up about 30k km (18700 miles), no problems outside of:

1. fuel tank being too small specially on the bahn

2. dealer customer service purely sucks - not the actual mechanics but the sales and customer care. I would fire everyone in this place outside of mechanics.

If you guys in US think you have a problem with AoA, rest assured that Audi in general does not discriminate, they treat everyone the same. Factory (Quattro GmbH) customer service is different animal thiough - one can only wish they would train the dealer chain in proper way how to treat customers. :doh:

Happy with the car, specially the low key appearance of Avant (had to mention that for NA markets ..... :harass: ) and not to forget the real Recaro seats (Ben can testify to that one)

:rs6kiss:

gjg
July 14th, 2005, 20:02
Tickets? What tickets?

you mean the monthly fee we pay in addition to the road tax? Oh yeah, just don't mention that in front of my management ....

:D

Dark Knight
July 14th, 2005, 20:19
18 months

35, 600 miles

out ran troopers twice, no ticket

1 ticket but going to court to fight it

snapped drive-shaft clean in half at 191 mph

car goes into dealer Tuesday due to cylinder #4 misfiring

love the car, but I think a Porsche will be next car

Benman
July 14th, 2005, 20:20
Originally posted by gjg
(Ben can testify to that one)

:rs6kiss:
Can also testify to George's "driving style".:D :thumb:

Ben:addict:

Hy Octane
July 15th, 2005, 00:12
Correction!!

Just stopped by the shop.. The tranny was not the problem.. Cause is still unknown.. They have absolutely no idea whats wrong with this car..

Oh well..:(

RS6Fan
July 15th, 2005, 16:16
24 months 47k miles, two sets of front discs, one set of rears, lumbar support failure on drivers seat, fuel gauge sender defective.

Great customer service from my dealer in the UK, here's to the next 47k!:addict:

khoren
July 15th, 2005, 17:33
20 months 7.624 miles :rs6kiss:

Benman
July 15th, 2005, 21:31
Originally posted by khoren
20 months 7.624 miles: rs6kiss:
Get out there and DRIVE!:p

Wang
July 17th, 2005, 02:28
absolutely no issues, babied ever since new, going on first group drive tomorrow. Very happy with the car, very special and unique in the U.S. and excites those in the know, from moto riders to rice burners.

quattroboy
July 18th, 2005, 07:52
21 months, 12,700 miles, obviously not the daily driver :D

No tickets, still on the original set of tires, but they are kinda noisy at this point. Dealer tech says they are slightly cupped, says is not uncommon with Dunlops and Continentals, says the Pirellis and Michelins seem to be better (for what that's worth).

Only problem I've ever had with the car is a bad sunroof switch (went intermittent, dealer replaced it quickly.

Like many others here, I really like this car, but wish it had a manual tranny option. The "walk softly and carry a big stick" aspect of it is part of the appeal, and yet people that know cars generally have a certain reverence for it. I could whine about the usual things, like we didn't get the Recaro's or the tire pressure sensors in the US, but it is still a great car and it still thrills me every time I start it up. :rs6kiss:

Benman
July 19th, 2005, 00:53
Originally posted by quattroboy
I could whine about the usual things, like we didn't get the Recaro's or the tire pressure sensors in the US, but it is still a great car and it still thrills me every time I start it up. :rs6kiss:
And THAT'S the point!:thumb: :cheers: (although ones like HyOctane's circumstances are different:( ).

gjg
July 19th, 2005, 22:54
Originally posted by Benman

Can also testify to George's "driving style".

yeah ... :harass: white knuckle copilot ...... :D

gjg
July 19th, 2005, 23:00
Originally posted by quattroboy
...like we didn't get the Recaro's or the tire pressure sensors in the US...

I agree that the seats in US purely suck comparing with Recaros here but you did not miss anything with the factory tire pressure system - the way it comes it is not user friendly and when it goes off you have no choice to either stop and look up the tires or, if you have no flat, just keep on going.

I installed the Tire Rack sensors with display and it is mucho better because you get analougue pressure readout on each tire any time you want to look at it and of course temperature and individual settings.:idea:

keo
July 20th, 2005, 05:09
15months, 15000km (mtm stage 3 after 2000km) no problem with the car enjoy every moment. :addict:

Klint
July 20th, 2005, 11:33
Nice to see, Bob come back - where have you been hiding?

Also, nice to see these RS6s take the ups and downs of everyday motoring with a pinch of salt, some more fortunate than others.

As for the gripes with the dealership customer relations, from my understanding the dealerships are independant from Audi (Franchised) therefore Audi doesn't have complete control over training of key customer personnel.

Finnus
July 20th, 2005, 13:45
Nice to see, Bob come back - where have you been hiding?

Thanks, Klint. I've been watching the board all of the time, just staying stealthy. LOL

Where are all of our European members? We would love to hear from you. Some of you should ahve had your beast longer and have more feedback.

PS I also bought the extended warranty. If I keep the car, it could pay off if something major goes wrong. If I sell it, its a good selling point.

Finnus

minimad
July 20th, 2005, 14:22
26 months, 11,500km, MTM stage 2 508 bhp version with MTM 380mm frond disk and MoveIt rear brake. Going to have stage 3 mods 1 month later together with H sport sway bar.
No major problem so far, being happy with the beast, family members also like it.
One ticket, the officer got 135km/h figure on his laser gun, but he said his laser gun was malfunctioned, can only detect in 150m distance, he saw the beast ran damn fast but the gun could not caught the actual speed. He ask how fast did I drive, I told me I don't know and I don't feel I have been speeding because I can't feel a thing before 200km/h. Then he start to notice this is not a normal station wagon. He watched the idside of the car, 310Km/h meter????? The officer ask, what kind of car is this? Then he gave me a ticket for other reason, "change lane without proper signal",not for speeding.:looking:

Benman
July 20th, 2005, 15:51
Originally posted by Finnus

Where are all of our European members? We would love to hear from you. Some of you should ahve had your beast longer and have more feedback.

Yes, The Brit for one. I know he sold his Beast but he still probably had the most miles.

Haven't heard much from him lately...

nyrs6
August 7th, 2005, 19:51
On Audiworld iconcls has 50,000 miles :bigeyes: thats miles not kilomiters. I think he has the most Miles on an RS6 in US. I wish him luck without a warranty.

Benman
August 8th, 2005, 15:13
Originally posted by nyrs6
On Audiworld iconcls has 50,000 miles :bigeyes: thats miles not kilomiters. I think he has the most Miles on an RS6 in US. I wish him luck without a warranty.
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: Someone here in the States actually has enough miles to surpass the warranty! Wow. I'll also be interested to see how his experience with the Beast goes now that there is no warranty to back up the car. Go iconcls!:cheers:

Kev.S
August 8th, 2005, 18:39
12 months, 12000 miles (I only do 5 miles a day to work and back- the rest has been sheer fun) No tickets. New battery and a set of tyres, which were part-worn when I got the car. My Audi dealer's customer relations have been great. Polite, efficient, car valetted evry time they look at it, several free adjustments to setup and good coffee on tap.

Silversleepa
August 13th, 2005, 20:46
Bought in Feb of this year...23T miles so far (bought it CPO), changed tires once, no issues except......

I am having a horrible ride currently!!! It feels like a bad cab ride in NYC (OK, maybe not that bad..) the "rumble strip" bouncing I get from going over roughly surfaces is VERY annoying and noisy -- like the rumbling rattling you hear when riding a really bad cab...more dangerous though, is the lateral movement I get when going over rough surfaces at speed..to me, my problem is a safety issue and needs to be fixed... the service manager stays after driving my car that "it is within spec"....NO WAY!! do any of you have an idea of what my problem is?? Also, if you have acces to a bentley RS6 manual, could you please check to see what parts (my first guess is the bushings on shocks/springs) could be worn out that could be causing my horrible ride....

thanks in advance!! BTW the audi rep will be in next week for a "ride" with me ... after we go bouncing sideways on a few on/off ramps I think they will recco a fix (under warraunty of course..) ;)

JAXRS6
August 13th, 2005, 21:25
Silversleepa, it's really difficult to determine your car's problem, or even there is one, without going for a ride to determine -- how bad is it?

The dealer says it's "within spec"? What spec is he talking about? A spec needs to be measured, and going for a ride doesn't measure anything.

If the car is losing control at moderate speeds on bumpy freeway ramps, that is bothersome. But if you're talking high speeds on a bumpy curve, you gotta realize this is not an S4 or an M3, not to mention real sports cars. The RS6 is heavy overall and nose-heavy in particular. That makes it want to slide out from under you at high speeds whenever its tires lose contact on a bumpy curve. Laws of intertia trump the suspension at high speeds on bumpy curves IMO.

Silversleepa
August 14th, 2005, 03:22
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JAXRS6
[B]Silversleepa, it's really difficult to determine your car's problem, or even there is one, without going for a ride to determine -- how bad is it?

The dealer says it's "within spec"? What spec is he talking about? A spec needs to be measured, and going for a ride doesn't measure anything.

If the car is losing control at moderate speeds on bumpy freeway ramps, that is bothersome.

JAXRS6... the "spec thing" was BS in my opinion..the RS tech guy usually comes out to say Hi when I come... in this time he didnt..and I know I didnt wait long enough for a full diagnostic to be had...they're probably trying to push me off..as to the ride, it literally feels like being in a taxi cab..the bumping you get going over uneven surfaces and the rattling and lateral movement from the loss of control due to the spring rebound not being controlled (aka dead shocks..) the car was smooth previously and yes, I realize I'm not driving a smaller car but I've pushed my beast before both with and without ESP on so I know the vehicles limits "at speed".. not crazy fast, but enough to enjoy the ride around exits, corners and of course big sweeping freeway turns..got any ideas what it might be???

It drives me crazy that I cant drive the car how it could/should be driven, and I drive my car daily during the week 80 miles round trip so I have a good feel for the ride....very sad...:cry:

JAXRS6
August 14th, 2005, 05:34
Aha -- rattling!:thumb: Somehow I missed reading that in your initial post.

I had several serious rattles going on -- "banging rattles" I called them -- but no noticeable loss of handling. Dealer tech spent 10 hours on diagnosis; he located & fixed two but could not find the last one. AOA rep finally came along, recommended that a part on top of the rear struts/shocks be replaced & the problem went away once that was done. I asked the tech for the part name; he said "DRC center valve gas accumulator." Talk about a mouthful!:dance: Apparently one of them leaked, releasing pressure from the DRC "tubes" under the car. They became loose and started banging against the floorpan. Of course, this didn't happen with all bumps; just certain bumps, like on the washboard-like shoulder of a parking lot near the dealership. The tech literally rode in the trunk while I drove -- and did more of it later with another employee at the wheel.

I have no recollection of a deterioration in handling, however, so perhaps you have (pardon the phrase) a gas accumulator problem and something else -- maybe the shocks themselves, as you suggest.

In any case, if my car had its banging rattle during a drive with a dealer tech and he called it "within spec," I would, at the least, complain to the service manager and reject that tech for future evaluations.

Silversleepa
August 14th, 2005, 15:40
I really appreciate the feedback..and yes, I get the "washboard rumbles" when I go over rumble strips -- it is irritating as hell!!We'll see what happens..I like your idea of riding in the trunk, except this time, I'll put the service mgr in the back (the guy that told me "go away it's to spec..") and have the tech (nice guy) and I ride in the front... hopefully, I will get this resolved quickly!!!

If you dont mind, could you give me the dealer you used and a contact? It might make my life easier if my guys can learn from your recent experience by narrowing down their search criteria when they go hunting for my rattle...TIA!!!:addict: If you dont want to advertise over the web, zap me an e-mail at roshiro@famglobal.com

sorry for the threadjack gang...we now return you to your normal program in progress...

JAXRS6
August 14th, 2005, 19:47
Had it done at Suncoast Motorsport, Sarasota, FL; tech was Chip, service writer was Ron Belser; phone is (941) 923-1700.

For those who believe in Audi's system of sharing solutions among dealers: Don't!:nono: A source who should know once told me that although techs are supposed to write up solutions for AOA to share with other dealers, "they don't do it about 70% of the time.":eye:

At one point my own efforts included riding in the back seat while my girlfriend drove slowly over a certain parking lot with appropriate bumps. After removing all floor mats, I was able to actually feel metal banging against the floor pan right under the driver's seat back. The tech later told me that was helpful.

J0X
August 14th, 2005, 21:11
Had mine for 11 months / 11500 km and the only thing was a DOA parking distance sensor replaced immediately. Got a ticket for using fogs in daylight but that doesn't really count :)

eph94
August 15th, 2005, 02:41
24 months / 18K miles

I put the first 10K miles in 8 months, and the last 8K miles over the past 16 months. Not coincidently, I started tracking the car 16 months ago, so I decided to give it a little rest from the daily grind. I've spent 4 days at New Hampshire International, 4 days at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant, 3 days at Lime Rock, 2 days at Pocono, and 4 days of winter driving school. Over this time, I've gone through a set of tires and 2 sets of front brake pads (Pagid Grey and Pagid Blue). By the time I have to change my current front brake pads (Pagid Black) I will need to change my front rotors and rear brake pads. Oh, and I also melted the plastic valve stems covers on the front tires. Those brakes get hot!! I have another day at NHIS and 2 mores days at Mont-Tremblant planned (Audi Nationals).

For mechanical issues, I've had the hood latch break twice, the brake fluid sensor malfunction once, the fuel cap replaced twice, and now an issue with the power steering. I won't know the specifics on the last problem until I take the car to the dealer. I opened the power steering fluid resevoir and noticed lots of air bubbles as if the fluid were boiling.

It has been a great two years. When I turn the car in at the end of the lease 15 months from now, I wonder how the dealer will advertise my "low mileage" car. I bet it won't even have 25K miles on it by November 2006. "Driven mostly on weekends." :D

Joe

mi021le
August 15th, 2005, 02:41
picked it up at 9900 in mass. in march

love it. went back home to michigan with it, new jersey. wv. allover. wouldnt trade a minute. one drunk friend broke a taillight, replaced it with euros. clear corner mod. mtm rims. and 20 tint. dulback chip end of this week. love it. the owner before me is the owner of costco food store. and it sat for 2 years only going 9k. great little car. even my swedish gf loved it. she chills 30+ over the speed limit all the time. kinda funny. on the highway she'd do 95 and love it. i can only do 85. lol and yets theres so much more in her, u can tell. great car. in and out. love the turbos.