PDA

View Full Version : Watch out RS4, M3 and C32

tailpipe
July 14th, 2005, 12:45
We keep hearing these annoying rumours that Lexus is on a mission to upset the established order among high performance luxury cars.

The new IS in particular is shaping-up to be an exceptional car. At last a great chassis with impressive ride and handling; an equally impressive set of engine options; same peerless interiors and build quality; and, biggest surprise of all, attractive styling.

Now this...

Maybe the rumours are starting to come true?

Finnus
July 14th, 2005, 13:27
Its all good. Keep raising the bar. It makes everyone build better cars.

Finnus
:addict:

JavierNuvolari
July 14th, 2005, 14:55
looks like a Mazda 3 on steroids...:vhmmm:

nene
July 14th, 2005, 16:11
Something about this story smells like DeJaVu!!!
I think they said the same thing about the previous IS, and the car sort of was fun when it first came out, but it all faded really fast.
I don't care how good the the Japanese cars (Lexus and Infinity come to mind) get, but the brand name attached to the likes of Audi/BMW/Benz just aren't going away. Even Bangle has tried to sabotage the brand, and cars are still selling. Even with an ugly looking 5 series, which I happen to have one myself, I bet they will probably sell more than their counterpart GS model from Lexus.

Furthermore, the new 3-series will still sell better than the IS. Regardless of what is under that hood!

exE46M3
July 14th, 2005, 18:14
Originally posted by nene
Something about this story smells like DeJaVu!!!
I think they said the same thing about the previous IS

Bingo! I'd be very hard pressed to believe Lexus will deliver this time around...

But as Finnus said above, good for us if they raise the bar. :D

audi713
July 15th, 2005, 08:36
Throw it in the trash lol :D

Duma
July 15th, 2005, 15:20
Originally posted by audi713
Throw it in the trash lol :D :hihi: :hihi:

Benman
July 15th, 2005, 21:39
Originally posted by Finnus
Its all good. Keep raising the bar. It makes everyone build better cars.

Finnus
:addict:
"Competition is a Sin"... quote from Rockefeller.

I agree with Finnus, competition is great for the customer as it keeps increasing the quality of our products (Rockefeller obviously did not agree with us!:D ).

Diss Lexus all you like, but Toyota has massive resources and will continue to improve their cars to better compete against the German marques. They'll be the number ONE largest manufacture in less than 10 years time (GM is chuping right now).

Ben:addict:

exE46M3
July 16th, 2005, 07:54
Originally posted by Benman
Diss Lexus all you like, but Toyota has massive resources and will continue to improve their cars to better compete against the German marques. They'll be the number ONE largest manufacture in less than 10 years time (GM is chuping right now).

Hopefully, when they achive that status TRD will start working on something other than trucks for the US market...

Iceman
July 16th, 2005, 10:46
Watch out RS4, M3 and C32 for the new GTA modells of Alfa Romeo.
The Alfa Romeo's 159, 159 sportwagon, Brera and Spider GTA will get a 4.3-liter Maserati V8 engine with 440 hp and 505 Nm of torque.
Even the future 169 GTA get a ±500 hp version of that engine.
Further of all the Alfa Romeo GTA modells will get a 130 Kg diet.

wfg, Hans.

Code_2025
October 20th, 2005, 04:58
Originally posted by JavierNuvolari
looks like a Mazda 3 on steroids...:vhmmm:

LOL!! true Bro..
:s4addict:
:alig:

Inline Six
October 22nd, 2005, 06:53
Well, it's C55 now and soon to be C63... It's scary how fast the AMG C-klasse has grown.

I see a V8 sport sedan era coming. V8 E90 M3/4, B7 RS4, C63, the rumoured V8 159 GTA and the rumoured LS7 powered CTS-V. Can't wait to see them all line-up together and battle it out...

Duma
October 22nd, 2005, 10:32
Originally posted by audi713
Throw it in the trash lol :D

:0: :0:

DejaVu
October 23rd, 2005, 11:38
:0: Not bad at all :asian:

Erik
May 15th, 2006, 12:16
... http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=1980

Benman
May 15th, 2006, 15:37
Originally posted by Erik
... http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=1980

:bow: Does anyone have a bigger pic of that IS race car? Plus, I think that is the very first 4 door in ALMS!

AndyBG
May 15th, 2006, 16:03
Where all that love for japanese cars is coming from, last time i cheked this was RS6.COM/FORUM.

That car is ugly, Lexus is rediculus car.

Qriouz
May 15th, 2006, 16:10
Originally posted by AndyBG
Where all that love for japanese cars is coming from, last time i cheked this was RS6.COM/FORUM.

That car is ugly, Lexus is rediculus car.

last time i checked this was a part of the forum where all high performance cars can be displayed....

AndyBG
May 15th, 2006, 16:19
Originally posted by Qriouz
last time i checked this was a part of the forum where all high performance cars can be displayed....

''DISPLAYED'', ok, but this amount of ''admiering'' to a car that don't even exist, and above all its Lexus, i am speechles.

Owners of one of the greates ''uber-saloons'' ever (RS 6), ''burning'' over one non-existing Lexus, i don't understand.

But OK, maybe its me having some ''error'' in my ''program''.

Inline Six
May 15th, 2006, 17:34
:bow: Does anyone have a bigger pic of that IS race car? Plus, I think that is the very first 4 door in ALMS!

Nope. In 1999, the year ALMS was inroduced, BMW PTG raced 2 E36 M3 sedans and grabbed the GT Team Chaimpionship title.

But this year it looks like PTG is in trouble: 2 races in and they haven't even completed one. The GT3 RSRs are still going strong and the new Ferrari F430GT is looking good this year, so good luck to Lexus/Toyota.

Inline Six
May 15th, 2006, 17:59
Originally posted by AndyBG
''DISPLAYED'', ok, but this amount of ''admiering'' to a car that don't even exist, and above all its Lexus, i am speechles.

Owners of one of the greates ''uber-saloons'' ever (RS 6), ''burning'' over one non-existing Lexus, i don't understand.

But OK, maybe its me having some ''error'' in my ''program''.

You know what, if the chassis is good enough for ALMS, it shouldn't be ignored. I'm not much of a Lexus/Toyota fan, but it's ignorant to despise them. Toyota is now world's biggest auto manufacturer, they have a major F1 team, and their GT-ONE still holds the lap record at Le Mans. They definitely know a thing or two about how to make a fast and reliable car. If they decide to seriously compete with the Germans in the sports sedan segment, they mean business and everyone better keeps an eye on them.

exE46M3
May 15th, 2006, 18:27
Originally posted by Inline Six
You know what, if the chassis is good enough for ALMS, it shouldn't be ignored. I'm not much of a Lexus/Toyota fan, but it's ignorant to despise them. Toyota is now world's biggest auto manufacturer, they have a major F1 team, and their GT-ONE still holds the lap record at Le Mans. They definitely know a thing or two about how to make a fast and reliable car. If they decide to seriously compete with the Germans in the sports sedan segment, they mean business and everyone better keeps an eye on them.

Enough said. :applause:

AndyBG
May 15th, 2006, 18:58
Ok.

Benman
May 15th, 2006, 19:58
Nope. In 1999, the year ALMS was inroduced, BMW PTG raced 2 E36 M3 sedans and grabbed the GT Team Chaimpionship title.

Learn something new everyday.:thumb:

Toyota was not yet biggest manufacture in the world. GM is, but just barely. By years end however, Toyota is expecting to be #1.

Leadfoot
May 15th, 2006, 20:04
As I have said before, one sexy looking motor. You bet it would be better not to ignored them, they didn't get to being number one by producing rubbish. I don't know if the IS500 will right on the money first time out, but it will be close enough.

The engine will produce the goods and I reckon it will be the most economical, the interior is right up there with Audi and we all know that reliability is 100%, the only problem might be the chassis. There is photos of it testing around the ring, so it should be quick enough, Lexus problem will be bridging the gap between making it comfortable and handle as well. Something to few have mastered.

If it's 95% there it will be hard not to think twice.

Erik
June 29th, 2006, 23:44
IS500... nice to see MY picture as a spy pic...

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=295106

Benman
June 30th, 2006, 00:01
Originally posted by Erik
IS500... nice to see MY picture as a spy pic...

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=295106

And to think those ingrates didn't even give you credit!:trash: :D

I know people don't want to hear this, but the IS500 (whatever it ends up being called) will be one fine ride. True, it would never temp me (:rs6kiss: ) but I'll bet it will steal some Audi folk from the fold...

tailpipe
June 30th, 2006, 13:40
Erik,

If you look at the link on my.IS you will see that I am responsible for the story. I was actually sent the picture by someone from Toyota's HQ in Brussels which is hilarious. I had no idea it was yours otherwise i would have credited you!!!!!

+rep as they say on my.IS

Benman
June 30th, 2006, 15:35
Originally posted by tailpipe
Erik,

If you look at the link on my.IS you will see that I am responsible for the story. I was actually sent the picture by someone from Toyota's HQ in Brussels which is hilarious. I had no idea it was yours otherwise i would have credited you!!!!!

+rep as they say on my.IS

Aha! So you're the ingrate!!!:trash: :D

Nice write up. So I take it you're defecting?;)

tailpipe
June 30th, 2006, 18:30
Aha! So you're the ingrate!!!:trash: :D

Nice write up. So I take it you're defecting?;)

Absolutely not, Benman. I am still an ardent Audi fan. I own both an Audi but will soon own a Lexus IS.

That said, i am very worried about Audi's strategy at the moment. They've made three dumb decisions IMO.

1) No RWD platforms
2) Lack of innovation with new platform architecture on grounds of cost - engine still too far forward
3) Going for volume risks quality: which is what has happened to both Merc and BMW

Everything that Audi is doing undermines Volkswagen, which is in dire straits. Something is definitely wrong.

To make matters worse, Porsche is about to come into the Volkswagen Empire.

Going back on topic, I am not sure whether an IS500 would be better than an RS4 Avant. I think with 400 bhp+ you need AWD. That said, the IS500 will be fantastic.

Benman
June 30th, 2006, 19:50
Originally posted by tailpipe

That said, i am very worried about Audi's strategy at the moment. They've made three dumb decisions IMO.

1) No RWD platforms
2) Lack of innovation with new platform architecture on grounds of cost - engine still too far forward
3) Going for volume risks quality: which is what has happened to both Merc and BMW

Going back on topic, I am not sure whether an IS500 would be better than an RS4 Avant. I think with 400 bhp+ you need AWD. That said, the IS500 will be fantastic.

I disagree with you on the RWD platform. FWD quattro is what made Audi. To abandon it doesn't make sense. Let Lexus copy BMW, afterall, copying the German cars seems to be Lexus's forte.:harass: :applause:

I do however completely agree about the volume vs quality concerns. This may become hugely important for them, but we shall see as all companies strive to increase volume (Lexus included).

As for the IS, it may end up all wheel drive, you never know.:thumb:

Sunny
June 30th, 2006, 20:40

While Lexus/Toyota defnitely has the resources to compete with the Germans, I doubt if they have the right spirit for Motorsports. They have a history of being quitters and cheaters in Motorsports.

Look at their Le Mans attempt, tried twice (or is it thrice?) came close but never won and quit.

WRC got caught cheating and got banned.

F1, not doing too well despite throwng shit load of money at it. Wonder how long before they pull the plug on that.

I am not anti Lexus or anything, they make fine street cars, my friend has an IS350 and it is much better all round car than my B5 S4 - but I just don't think Toyota has the right corporate spirit for Motorsports - may be they will prove me wrong.

Leadfoot
June 30th, 2006, 21:05
Tailpipe,

No RWD platforms

You know that me and you are on the same wave length on almost everything, especially BMWs. I understand your thinks on the RWD front, but you don't have to use rwd to make a car entertaining, look at the Golf GTI, Focus ST, Civic Type-R and the Mini, all very entertaining drives. So we know fwd will do the job and that the VW group can produce such a car.

Lack of innovation with new platform architecture on grounds of cost - engine still too far forward

Unfortunately platform sharing is the only way to remain profitable and though the price range of cars which use it might as much as £80k apart, the most sale will come from the bottom end of this scale so the platform has to be made at a price. I would have like to have seen the ASF technology used and at the minute there is no word on if it will be used or not. Only time will tell, but Audi are being tight lipped about it.

Going for volume risks quality: which is what has happened to both Merc and BMW

Merc have returned to producing quality again, so if we know that poor quality doesn't help to sell cars you can been rest assured Audi know also. At present there isn't a big enough difference in quality between VW and Audi and I think Audi will have to move the game up a little.

Everything that Audi is doing undermines Volkswagen, which is in dire straits. Something is definitely wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, unless you are talking about the A3 which is the only car which doubles up on sale with the Golf. I believe Audis should be show more innovation than VW to justify the increase in price, not just a re-bodied double. VW's problem are deeper than with Audi, they have to many re-bodied car be it, Seat, Skoda or Audi. It worked for a time but the market and customers demand more now.

To make matters worse, Porsche is about to come into the Volkswagen Empire.

This is good for Porsche but bad for VW. Porsche will use VW resources and give nothing back. I don't think we will see a Golf using a Porsche engine or suspension design, but you will see a Boxster with electrics form a Passat.

Sunny
June 30th, 2006, 22:11
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Tailpipe,

No RWD platforms

You know that me and you are on the same wave length on almost everything, especially BMWs. I understand your thinks on the RWD front, but you don't have to use rwd to make a car entertaining, look at the Golf GTI, Focus ST, Civic Type-R and the Mini, all very entertaining drives. So we know fwd will do the job and that the VW group can produce such a car.

That works for not so powerful hatchbacks. Increase the power and you are soon going to have driveabiliy issues with front wheel drive platforms.

Having said that I hope Audi sticks to AWD though it has it's pros and cons -RWD is just not Audi.

Leadfoot
July 1st, 2006, 00:03
Originally posted by Sunny
That works for not so powerful hatchbacks. Increase the power and you are soon going to have driveabiliy issues with front wheel drive platforms.

Having said that I hope Audi sticks to AWD though it has it's pros and cons -RWD is just not Audi.

You're right that too much power is a bad thing for fwd, but no fears Audi will still have quattro for it's higher performance models.

bonte
July 1st, 2006, 23:20
That Lexus is quite :0:

Will there also be a SportCross version of this new IS model? Kinda likes the old one, except for the rear lights :doh: