PDA

View Full Version : Audi key confiscated at Dallas airport

JAXRS6
July 6th, 2005, 04:55
Hopefully this is an isolated incident, although apparently Audi of America isn't talking. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=387&id=4568

Nordschleife
July 6th, 2005, 09:02
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Hopefully this is an isolated incident, although apparently Audi of America isn't talking. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=387&id=4568

US Immigration officials don't like my passport - "its too well used, Sir! That is suspicious, please replace it with a new one." The German officials give it a fond pat and chuckle, "good to see one that's been about a bit".

I have to get an express lane pass for the US Immigration people, otherwise it takes me an hour.

As for security....... words fail me, its dumb, its insolent, its stupid, and how much of it would stop anything? Has Homeland Security made anybody's life better or safer? It just makes travelling to and within the US very unpleasant.

It even intrudes on our lives in Europe - taking a friend to his US flight, I was given a security interview because I was pushing his luggage trolley as we approached the US check-in counter - in Munich.

Would they have confiscated a Chevrolet key?

Sadly, the people of America have put a lot of power into the hands of really dim people, this is the price that you pay.

R+C

s42ski
July 6th, 2005, 11:30
Yes, I have also had this type of experience with my Audi key - I tried to act contrite and showed them it was not sharp and they let me go. The key in dealing with these folks is to be very nice at all times - they have power and if you piss them off they can make your life absolutely miserable - one of my business partners made a crack to one of them about his hair..... he missed his flight. nuff said

Hy Octane
July 6th, 2005, 17:55
Sadly, the people of America have put a lot of power into the hands of really dim people, this is the price that you pay.

Its pretty sad that you lot over there can see so well what too many here are unable to see.. Is this how Rome fell?

Aronis
July 6th, 2005, 17:58
Originally posted by Nordschleife

R+C

Hold the phone on that one.

This is not an isolated American issue.

People world wide are just as guilty of putting 'power in the hands of really dim people.'

The Feel Good security policies of the US Department of Homeland Security are PATHETIC. Instead of using good sense and actually using the obious, PROFILING, they simply choose to make air travel a pain in the a**.

If your name is Mohamed and you are male, traveling alone and have no luggage, BUT JUST HAPPEN TO BE FOLLOWING TWO OTHER GUYS NAMED MOHAMED, they CANNOT STOP YOU! Policy....you know....

but if you are a white, middle aged female traveling with two small children including an infant, with luggage and husband in tow, you have to be searched....what profile does that fill.

Mike

absent
July 6th, 2005, 18:26
Originally posted by Aronis
Hold the phone on that one.

People world wide are just as guilty of putting 'power in the hands of really dim people.'

The Feel Good security policies of the US Department of Homeland Security are PATHETIC. Instead of using good sense and actually using the obious, PROFILING, they simply choose to make air travel a pain in the a**.

If your name is Mohamed and you are male, traveling alone and have no luggage, BUT JUST HAPPEN TO BE FOLLOWING TWO OTHER GUYS NAMED MOHAMED, they CANNOT STOP YOU! Policy....you know....

but if you are a white, middle aged female traveling with two small children including an infant, with luggage and husband in tow, you have to be searched....what profile does that fill.

Mike
If you try to profile the passengers,you will end up being sued by our esteemed law professionals.

Aronis
July 6th, 2005, 18:58
At least El Al knows how to find the bad guys. They using PROFILING. Some how the lawyers in Isreal don't have a problem with that!

Mike

JAXRS6
July 6th, 2005, 19:16
Originally posted by absent
If you try to profile the passengers,you will end up being sued by our esteemed law professionals.

And therein lies the problem!:applause:

I first heard someone describe our times as the Age of Litigation about 10-15 years ago. It has only gotten worse since. It's why we have to read and sign lengthy & boring privacy practice rules at doctor's offices, and it explains part of the rising cost of health care: Everyone is afraid of being sued, goaded to that conclusion by attorneys who stand to make big bucks whether they win or lose.

Those attorneys aren't wrong -- there is risk -- but something is wrong with the system. On issues like product and medical liability, setting limits on judgments could be one approach that would discourage those suing out of greed.

As for screening at airports, I don't understand the walking-on-eggshells approach either. Here in Metro Detroit, which has a huge Arab-American population, polls of that group have shown that most understand the need to "profile" them, even though they don't like it.

But maybe others among them would sue. So what? Let them sue! I'm not an attorney so I'm no expert on the US Constitution, but I don't believe there are any provisions that would prevent security officials from, in a time of war, targeting people who look like the enemy.

If there is such a provision, maybe it should be changed. Civil liberties groups would howl, I'm sure, but if we don't take appropriate measures to protect our country, there may not be a country left to protect.

J0X
July 6th, 2005, 21:53
Surely there are more cars using this type of key, no?

Benman
July 7th, 2005, 00:58
Originally posted by Aronis

Mike
I agree that giving dumb people power is not an America only issue. However our airport security IS.

Traveling INTO Europe FROM the US is NO problem at all. I had a lay over in Atlanta and there was NO NEED whatsoever for me to "recheck" my luggage through customs before departing to Frankfurt.

However, big difference coming BACK to America. You have to recheck your luggage in Atlanta before it being sent to Ontario. Now my question is this: WHY?

The only pepole who have touched my luggage since it left my hands in Frankurt are DELTA personnel! So if THEY decide to put something in there that won't pass and then I go through customs with it, guess who has the problem?:doh: The security is a JOKE! And I think perhaps that was Robin's point.

Ben:addict:

JAXRS6
July 7th, 2005, 01:16
Originally posted by J0X
Surely there are more cars using this type of key, no?

The Chrysler Crossfire is one.

gjg
July 7th, 2005, 03:14
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Those attorneys aren't wrong -- there is risk -- but something is wrong with the system.

bs, greedy lawyers are major part of the problem - it is self-inflicted self-serving issue.

just remember Shakespeare

And yes, PROFILING is the name of the game (providing there is no member of The Ambulance Chasers Association around..) :D

gjg
July 7th, 2005, 03:20
Originally posted by Benman
However, big difference coming BACK to America. You have to recheck your luggage in Atlanta before it being sent to Ontario. Now my question is this: WHY?

you need to clear customs when arriving to US and connecting to another US city. First airport you get to in US you have to clear customs. After clearing you hand the luggage back to the airline.

Silversleepa
July 7th, 2005, 04:22
They take all "knife-like" items from you -- granted I've lost more than my share of grooming scissors in my travel kit (yeah stupid on my part --pack it in my luggage) but I go the the magazine kiosk and what do I see, metal nail files for sale!!! I train people to "defend themselves" with such items...very effective weapon - imagine what a trained merc could do with a few of them -- now thats stupidity... :doh:

Aronis
July 7th, 2005, 15:41
Silver where in NJ are you?

I am coming down to Teaneck this Friday for a conference.

Mike

Silversleepa
July 7th, 2005, 15:59
Later on sometime this summer I belive Daveykid will be in NYC -- maybe we can have a little RS tri-state GTG...2fast NYC, LIRS6, and maybe a couple others on the boards can join us...