PDA

View Full Version : RS4 Avant delay

tailpipe
June 30th, 2005, 13:23
Without Audi telling anyone, I notice that the release date for both Sedan and Avant models has now slipped. The first Sedan models will now arrive in the UK in November instead of September, but worst news is that Avants won't start to appear in the UK until June 2006 instead of January/ February. This is rediculous for two reasons.

1. S6 Will now probably arrive about the same time as the RS4 Avant or just after it. But if the S6 has the much rumoured new V-10, I can see quite a lot of buyers going for this instead.

2. The new B8 A4 model will make its first appearance as an A4 coupe at the 2006 Frankfurt autoshow. in other words, the B7 chassis is about a year away from being redundant. (This week's Autocar has an interesting article on the new PL47 chassis, confirming posts on this website about the engine being mounted behind the front axle.) This will almost immediately make the RS4 obsolete because the B8 chassis will be such a quantum leap forward.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that the development cycle of Audi's RS models is consistently late in the model cycle. Once again this is happening. It simply gives them a pathetically short shelf-life.

In the meantime, Lexus has a very aggressive launch schedule for the forthcoming V-8 version of its new IS model: the Lexus IS500. Unlike the RS4, the starting point is a proper rear-wheel drive chassis. And even more important, the RS4 Avant is going to arrive much closer to the new E90 M3's launch date.

:vgrumpy: :vgrumpy: :vgrumpy:

J0X
June 30th, 2005, 14:33
Originally posted by tailpipe
...but worst news is that Avants won't start to appear in the UK until June 2006 instead of January/ February....

A*se and sh*tcakes! That is terrible news!! Surprised I haven't heard anything, seeing as I am (or was) the 4th on the waiting list. Not that I mistrust you or anything – but what sources do you have for the release dates?

tailpipe
June 30th, 2005, 15:44
JOX,

I called my dealer after seeing reference to this in this week's Autocar Magazine and dealer said this was indeed the case. i am No. 1 in queue for Avant.

Not only am I p****d off about the delay, I really think RS4 should have seen the debut of Audi's longitudinal DSG automatic gearbox.

roadrunner
June 30th, 2005, 16:16
Originally posted by tailpipe
...The new B8 A4 model will make its first appearance as an A4 coupe at the 2006 Frankfurt autoshow. in other words, the B7 chassis is about a year away from being redundant...

As the Frankfurt autoshow takes place every 2 years, i guess the B7 has another 2 years till Sep. 2007 :rs4addict

Greets
Seb.

RXBG
June 30th, 2005, 18:46
tailpipe. check your sources well. frankfurt and paris alternate. this year is frankfurt and 2006 is paris. what you probably mean is sept 2007 for the B8 intro in frankfurt- which makes more sense.

i posted regarding auto shows and models introduced in another forum but no one evr responded. i think people need to pay attention to those things because it is a MAJOR clue as to the new car timelines.

as i've personally speculated, a two CY run of the B7 minimum...
also- audi is very busy----audi is keen on the R9, and has it on an aggressive development schedule, the Q7, the S6, the S8, the RS6, a Q5 concept, the B8 coupe and sedan...all appearing, i believe, in the order stated.

:asian:

tailpipe
June 30th, 2005, 20:01
RXB8,

A4 coupe on B8 platform is provisionally slated to appear at Paris not Frankfurt, 2006, as A5 model. The B8 A4 replacement will appear at Franfurt 2007.

As you say, Audi is incredibly busy at the moment. Priorities are Q7 and A6 variants, followed by replacement A4 range. i just hope they can deliver so many new models without over-reaching themselves.

A full schedule is one of the reasons why RS4 Avant is late. i just hope they don't launch it without it being completely ready - they made this mistake with the A2.

RXBG
June 30th, 2005, 20:17
if this is the case and the UK RS4 will be delayed until october then the US will def get it in march-april and i DEFINITELY am glad i am getting an S4 now. i couldn't wait until next spring just to have the RS4 (amazing as it may be) for only a year, given the fact that the car i am really waiting to buy is the R9- and here in the US i expect it to arrive in midl/late 2007 CY (less than 2 years away!)....

54m
July 1st, 2005, 11:43
Man why does it always happen to the u.k :doh:
maybe i will wait for a rs6

sam

NogaroHiro
July 1st, 2005, 12:35
I asked the release date in Neckarsulm this May, and an Audi exclusive answered as around November of this year, not September for the sedan. :rs4kiss:

story here:
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/4161.phtml

tailpipe
July 1st, 2005, 17:11
They may well have said November when you saw Audi in May, but last November in Ingolstadt they were saying September.

QuattroFun
July 1st, 2005, 17:44
Sad to hear about the delays for those who are eagerly anticipating delivery. For me (surely a miniscule minority), the delays are actually good news as it means that my S4 will get the "sensible" ownership holding period and mileage before trade-in. It is clear that the car is delayed. However, I read in German mags already at the start of this year that the Avant was slated for a 2006 - not 2005 - launch in Germany. As distant as June 2006 is, however, a surprise.

On a different note for those in UK, who already have prices; do you feel that the RS4 at GBP50K is correctly priced vs. M5 at GBP61K? Do you expect discounts on the RS4? Looking at equipment levels in UK and car speccs, I must say that the price gap sounds a bit low when also bearing in mind the hardware/size differences between the cars. Sure, the RS4 will be more exclusive but does not make it a better buy unless quattro is a must (as it is for me up here). Any thoughts?

RXBG
July 1st, 2005, 18:57
---->"For me (surely a miniscule minority), the delays are actually good news as it means that my S4 will get the "sensible" ownership holding period and mileage before trade-in."

exactly right my good man. that is what applies to me. you see, i was first for an RS4 in two places but cancelled and went for the S4 for exactly that reason, as my next car is actually the R9 and i've been finished with my TT for some time now...

ott
July 7th, 2005, 15:26
Any information when Avant will be available in Germany ? I'm considering the purchase of the RS4, but definetly wan't Avant.