PDA

View Full Version : Help with fault code

DBLIPA
June 24th, 2005, 02:01
Recently, the engine light went on while Iwas driving my RS6 (October 2003 build; no engine or ECU mods; 8500 miles). The car seemed to be running o.k. for the normal street traffic that I was in, however I had noticed some roughness upon accelerating to highway speeds for several days prior to this. Since I was near a local Audi dealer, I took the car in for evaluation.

The next day they told me there were 2 fault codes:

1)P0456 (Evaporative emission system leak detected ---very small leak)

2) P1377 (Ignition activation cylinder 8; short circuit to B+ ---sporadic)

It turns out the first fault was related to the filler cap. With replacement of the part, that fault disappeared.

However, the second fault code has been quite problematic. Wiring was intact, compression testing was normal, injectors and spark plugs were o.k., switching cylinder coils didn't help, etc. After talking to Audi Technical, the dealer told me that Audi was recommending replacement of the ECU!! The part had to be ordered from Germany, and Audi required a copy of my driver's license and vehicle registration --- I guess they aren't taking any chances....

Has anyone out there experienced this code, and what has been your experience? Also, any thoughts or suggestions from the experts on this forum would be appreciated. Thanks...

nene
June 25th, 2005, 03:42
I am sorry Bob, but all my usual search features (AW and Google) all have come up empty with any information on the specific P1377 code. All I seem to get is the same information as you've described, but no one that has actually experienced it in their car.

Please keep us posted, and good luck.

DBLIPA
July 19th, 2005, 01:31
Here's an update on my "problem". The control module was replaced, along with a burned-out #8 coil pack. The car drove splendidly for about 50 miles, at which time I got a flashing engine light upon starting the car. Also, the engine was misfiring and felt like a blankety-blank truck. Since I was fairly close to the dealer, I "drove" it over.

Diagnostics showed #8 cylinder to be actively misfiring, along with the same grounding code as before. Well, this time an Audi technical rep was in the area, and he stopped by the dealership. After much head scratching/shaking, the team finally found the problem --- the signal wire from the control unit to the #8 coil pack had varying resistance, and probably was shorting out or misconnecting :( . The wire was replaced, and the latest report is that the car is running fine!! I'll pick it up tomorrow and give a further progress report. Of note, I was given a 2005 A6 loaner, which was o.k., but I've really missed my car ---:rs6kiss:

Benman
July 19th, 2005, 14:51
Originally posted by DBLIPA
Here's an update on my "problem"...

I'll pick it up tomorrow and give a further progress report. Of note, I was given a 2005 A6 loaner, which was o.k., but I've really missed my car ---:rs6kiss:
Bob,

Sorry to hear of your woes with the Beast. HyOctane has hade "issues" with his Beast as well but his problems seem to be different from yours. His dealer has yet to solve the issue. Please keep us posted as to how things turn out.

Ben:addict: