PDA

View Full Version : I drove the M6

7:53 RS6
June 21st, 2005, 22:39
Well the tour was just about to short, just over one houer.
And thats way to short time to check out this car potentials.

The problem is that this is the first and onley car BMW Sweden has, many are keen on it, espesally the press and its the press car so thats that. They are on it like bees on suger.

I drove the M5 E60 some time ago and its hard to say the differens in feel for me du to short driving and a while back it was.

But what got to me when i was driving the M6 was that im probably more keen on the M5. This concept is better for me and then i should have the real sportscar(CSL) as the second If i will buy in the future.

Non of them are the edgy sportscar anyway, so the les expensive M5 four door sedan is way cooler to drift around fully packed whit stuff.(or the M5 kombi)
Dont get me wrong, if money was no object it would be the M6 and M5 and F430 and the lot.

Once we started of i feel safe about the SMG as its in my CSL.
Put it in :MTM: mode direkt, that will say hardest chassi and gear slamming in mode and to join in the 507HP. The first time in CSL was a bit, damn it slams in the gears hard, first time in M5 it was doubel damn this is a neck snapping gear change, and i love it.
In M6 its as we all know the same thing as in M5. But when driving the M6 now im pretty used to the slamming in gears, but still get amaized about it.

Beweare first timers you will relly feel some thing truley different never feelt before when M5/6 change in fastest mode. Fantastic!! I guess in a way you feel that M5/6 box is 20% quicker than CSL box.
To my experience when you buy a new car or try a demo its always the same, it do not feel that fast the first time you drive it. In a strange way i need to drive my self in whit the car a few days to relly understund how bloody fast or good it is. The CSL is in my wiew kick as fast its v- max abreglerung :D
Not to say in a windling contry road thru the bends.

Have in mind M6 is not in my hands for a wanted! coupel of days. But the M6 its of course faster:MTM: but its NO CSL even it has the roof and in many ways the same thinking when build. The sound in CSL is crazy! The M6 i hardly noticed in my ears when we sat in the sound isolated coupe and was speeding hard from 1st gear and up. Well we all know its to different cars, but i had expected M6 to bee harder and moore raw cat.
When you take of in M6 and i feel the same in M5, it do not feel 1750-1800+kg range. It feel as its lighter and as we know these porker are not pulling on may kg per hp.

But in the end the kg tell that they are precent anyhow, its not as throw me in to the corners, do as you tell it, like the CSL are.
But i dident expect it to be, M6 is the super GT.

It comes stock whit Pirelly Pzero corsa system an r-compound that also is stock on GT3 RS and Ferrari CS. But this tiers had the Press burned up and i cant blame, its hard not to in this car. It was standing on Sport Contact. Not that i would had feelt any big differenst in tiers the way we drove this time any way.

All in all im very impresed that the M6 handel so well beeing that porky. The car and steering is communicating big fun, NOT CSL fun but fun. The steering is that nice and safe when you go fast in high speed bends, it is that heavy whit resistans. And in slower speeds its wery fun to turn in.
And the kick as power, it never stopps, its accelerating hard thru all gears, whit the allways to bee trusted big bang when change:MTM:

I think These car may be a bit head of their time,(well not relly) but how can you elsway discribe the Jeremy C negetivety about the high tech in the car. Even some more critics about this things as being to high tech to set up all things in car.

BMW is truley inovative and in the front edge.

Soon every car is like this. For me i had no troubel the short time i drive it.
From 1 sek or the the time it take to press one small button,,,,,,,, it changes from the dull 400hp soft suspension soft gear and slow throtellrespons. To the have it your own personally kick as setup max everything up, attack mode here i come 507hp :cool2:

Ps Put in some pics later DS

Benman
June 21st, 2005, 22:50
Nice write up. So as one would imagine, it's not as hardcore as the CSL, but still can really get it on.:hahahehe: Added weight: slower in the turns, bigger engine: faster in the straights. Now where have I heard that before.:vhmmm: :D

Ben:addict:

Nordschleife
June 21st, 2005, 23:17
but

what nobody realises is ......

BMW is developing a M6 CSL

.............so all bets are off.

This just might be a very nice car, but i have no idea what the final production vehicle will be like.

R+C

June 22nd, 2005, 08:39
Originally posted by Nordschleife
but

This just might be a very nice car, but i have no idea what the final production vehicle will be like.

R+C

I have accually heard the same, and mentioned this for BMW yesterday when i was at their place. But its as always they seem not to be as updated as all us hanging around at this kind of places. The BMW represent that i had contact whit dident know any thing about M6 CSL, im not surprised. They just work, no passion:p

June 22nd, 2005, 18:01
Originally posted by Benman
Nice write up. So as one would imagine, it's not as hardcore as the CSL, but still can really get it on.:hahahehe: Added weight: slower in the turns, bigger engine: faster in the straights. Now where have I heard that before.:vhmmm: :D

Thanks!
See you soon i guess :bye:

Benman
June 22nd, 2005, 19:53
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Thanks!
See you soon i guess :bye:
Yes, AT THE RING!!!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumb:

Ben:addict: (and a little:cheers: afterwards.:D )

June 22nd, 2005, 20:57
Yes, AT THE RING!!!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumb:

Ben:addict: (and a little:cheers: afterwards.:D )

Ye a little:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :dig: often teend to be to much, we can blame the super nice atmoshper at the RING for it to happen :king: and the horns tend to grow a bit to far out thru the helmet,,,,, better safe:thumb:

freerider
June 23rd, 2005, 06:22
Ye a little:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :dig: often teend to be to much, we can blame the super nice atmoshper at the RING for it to happen :king: and the horns tend to grow a bit to far out thru the helmet,,,,, better safe:thumb:

Oh, and what day are you comming? Because I'm meeting with Benman on sunday.

@Benman, sorry I didn't call yet, but right now I have no time (studies). I'll try it on friday. Is that ok?

Greetz Johan

June 23rd, 2005, 08:51
Originally posted by freerider

@Benman, sorry I didn't call yet, but right now I have no time (studies). I'll try it on friday. Is that ok?

Greetz Johan

I have herd so from Ben, I,ll be down 1-4 of july, are you still down then? In that case it would be nice to meet up whit you as well :thumb:

Cheers

freerider
June 23rd, 2005, 12:36
I have herd so from Ben, I,ll be down 1-4 of july, are you still down then? In that case it would be nice to meet up whit you as well :thumb:

Cheers

Too bad, I'll only be going for 1 day. Maybe I'll come again when you're there :D.
Anyway, hope you have fun.
Btw, just thought of it, that you really have great taste in cars. Till now you own(ed) 2 out of my top 3 cars (RS6, m3 CSL)

Greetz Johan

Benman
June 23rd, 2005, 15:46

Greetz Johan
Johan, don't sweat it.

Friday is fine as long as it's before 5:00PM your time (afterwards I'll be on the plane) but not before 2:00PM because I'll be asleep :).

Not sure if we'll all be there on the same days. You'll be there with me on Sunday the 26th of June and Gote will be there with me on Friday the 1st of July so different weekends.

And Gote, I agree with Johan, nice taste in cars!

Sorry to turn this into my vacation trip thread, hope you don't mind.:blush:

Benman
June 23rd, 2005, 15:50
Originally posted by Nordschleife
but

R+C
More power AND less weight with more focus suspension, etc... Hmm, sounds vedy intedestig!:hahahehe:

June 23rd, 2005, 22:12
Too bad, I'll only be going for 1 day. Maybe I'll come again when you're there :D.
Anyway, hope you have fun.
Btw, just thought of it, that you really have great taste in cars. Till now you own(ed) 2 out of my top 3 cars (RS6, m3 CSL)

Greetz Johan

Thanks.

We will try to enjoy ouer selvf:race: wont be hard i know. You have fun as well.

I,ll be down at the ring in septemper again :revs: CSL

Regards

June 23rd, 2005, 22:16
Johan, don't sweat it.

Friday is fine as long as it's before 5:00PM your time (afterwards I'll be on the plane) but not before 2:00PM because I'll be asleep :).

Not sure if we'll all be there on the same days. You'll be there with me on Sunday the 26th of June and Gote will be there with me on Friday the 1st of July so different weekends.

And Gote, I agree with Johan, nice taste in cars!

Sorry to turn this into my vacation trip thread, hope you don't mind.:blush:

Thanks.
Dont mind the thread, it have changed to way better now :D

Regards

freerider
June 24th, 2005, 10:27
Things have changed. Due to family stuff I wont be there this weekend. So I most probably will be there when you are there Gote. (probably saturday). Is it possible to drive the track then (I heard there was a race, but I think this isn't on the Nordschleife).
I already notified Benman.
And Gote, are you comming with your csl? That would be nice. I would love to hear the sound of that nice I6(and if possible feel the acceleration).
Oh, and I wont drive myself on the Nordschleife, since I have no track experience what so ever. I would love to drive myself, but I have to listen to my brains. And I will be there with my moms toyota yaris. :rolleyes: :harass:

Greetz Johan

June 25th, 2005, 09:00
Things have changed. Due to family stuff I wont be there this weekend. So I most probably will be there when you are there Gote. (probably saturday). Is it possible to drive the track then (I heard there was a race, but I think this isn't on the Nordschleife).
I already notified Benman.
And Gote, are you comming with your csl? That would be nice. I would love to hear the sound of that nice I6(and if possible feel the acceleration).
Oh, and I wont drive myself on the Nordschleife, since I have no track experience what so ever. I would love to drive myself, but I have to listen to my brains. And I will be there with my moms toyota yaris. :rolleyes: :harass:

Greetz Johan

Its VLN race this saturday, its driven on the Grand prix curcuit and Nordschlife,. They are putting both track togheter as one.
So all touristfharen are off. This day its :incar: :race:

freerider
June 25th, 2005, 13:15
So it's better when I come on sunday (or monday)?

Greetz Johan

Erik
June 27th, 2005, 09:39
Here are his pics.

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/511/2P1010039_1_.JPG

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/511/2P1010038_1_.JPG

maximus
June 29th, 2005, 09:16
wow

October 28th, 2005, 11:23
Wake this tred up, due to all talk of the M6.

Benman
October 28th, 2005, 16:14
Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
Wake this tred up, due to all talk of the M6.
We're waiting for you to come out with the thread: "I drove the M6 CSL"! :D
:bow: :bow:

October 29th, 2005, 09:20
We're waiting for you to come out with the thread: "I drove the M6 CSL"! :D
:bow: :bow:

Me to:bow: :cheers:

RS4Ever
October 30th, 2005, 08:17
8:05 RS6 - thats a nice write up

as for me i guess i missed this thread.

i would love to have had the opportunity as you did, and i realise that at this time, i probably wont have it, so your input about testing this beast is very well appreciated.

so to my understanding, they let you use the 500hp through out the whole hour/test-drive?

was about the M5 (but same engine in M6):
i remember a while back that journalists said that they could not or better yet were not allowed to use it (500hp) a lot.. was it overheating (cant recall)
they were limited to using it once or so.
so now is this fixed?

October 30th, 2005, 10:22
Originally posted by RS4Ever
8:05 RS6 - thats a nice write up

as for me i guess i missed this thread.

i would love to have had the opportunity as you did, and i realise that at this time, i probably wont have it, so your input about testing this beast is very well appreciated.

so to my understanding, they let you use the 500hp through out the whole hour/test-drive?

was about the M5 (but same engine in M6):
i remember a while back that journalists said that they could not or better yet were not allowed to use it (500hp) a lot.. was it overheating (cant recall)
they were limited to using it once or so.
so now is this fixed?

Thanks RS4 Ever!

As im all in to drive round track and not in a line forward, Launch controll is not for me. But if you use it, then the safty system go in to save things. This is repported to happend from one launch to many more in a row before the system tell you to rest. When you let the car rest, you can lauch again. Its maily the clutch that get spanked, and its not that costly in an smg i herd. But even to place an smg car on a long transporter truck get the cluctch spanked!

Just to drive it in 507hp mode and no esp do not send it to rest mode, you can floor it all you like, im sure we as drivers go to rest mode befor the car do so.

By the way its no problems in an smg to start 1 gear on full spinning wheel if you like, you dont nead to use launch controll to do that. But the launch controll is god if your right foot is not a sesitive tool., it prevent you from turn wheels on the spot to say so:D it slipper the clutch so you get just about the right wheel spinn to launch fast. but you can do that if you got the foot for it:revs: But the computer do it better than most.

I have to make a test some day to see how much it differ betwenn me and the computer, probably a bit as i cant adjust whit the clutch as computer do to maximun everithing in launch mode, and to adjust wheel spin whit the gasfot is not as efecctiv as whit a clutch, even you got a sensitive fot whrapped in gold or somthing:vhmmm: But my thinking is how differ the calibration of the clutch when launch is used or not? dont have a clu but sure its a big differ as the clutch need to rest after launch mode and not normall use.

RS6 cant on the other hand be driven hard for a long time before the sensors in the engin feels the oil is got to hot and then send the RS6 to limp mode. That on track, shorter tracks that dont cool thing down. On street and fast cooling Nurgburgring i havent had limp on my RS6, but short track get RS6 way to hot and hit limp. Its just to save engin as peopel dont often look at oil temp and by them selves see its way to hot and then go to pit, now you are forced to go to pit, its not fun driving a limp RS6 on track.

RS4 dident have this, due to that many RS4 engine got blown. Its a known fact that turbo engines genereting higher temps, and to save thing it go limp for a while, when rested it all ok again, the RS6+ can take a bit moore.

As well as E55 get limp when that computer dont like when the breake fluid go in to boiling point, all cars got to teck to save things and persons

But sports cars as Porsche or CSL has yet got limp, they can handel it :revs: ;)

RS4Ever
October 31st, 2005, 02:17

very interesting. thanks.
you seem to have a lot of info about these systems.

now, im not that familiar with SMG however DSG i have driven.. would you say that if BMW had the DSG system would the M5/6 be a better performer than what it is.
Im really mainly asking because I read (not long ago) that BMW was rethinking these systems.. Im not saying they were going to put DSG in their cars.. only saying that they were studying more about it.. feeling that they need to improve the SMG system with comparison to the DSG system.

-RS 4Ever

October 31st, 2005, 10:56
Originally posted by RS4Ever
very interesting. thanks.
you seem to have a lot of info about these systems.
im not that familiar with SMG however DSG i have driven.. would you say that if BMW had the DSG system would the M5/6 be a better performer than what it is.
Im really mainly asking because I read (not long ago) that BMW was rethinking these systems.. Im not saying they were going to put DSG in their cars.. only saying that they were studying more about it.. feeling that they need to improve the SMG system with comparison to the DSG system.

-RS 4Ever
Im far from into this in this in a teck way, just drive cars. Im sure BMW are looking in to all things, they must. Dont know whats comming.

There is one thing that i do not like whit DSG, it do not feel as raw cat racing as SMG. But the worst part on DSG iswhen you hit overreving red section it gear up even you dont:vhmmm:
This gets me thinking of an atomatick transmission.

The SMG do NOT gear up if you dont tell it to, by flipping the paddel or using the gear leaver. It never gear up by it selvf, in other words you as a driver are in charge, and thats the way it should be in my mind in a drivers car!

RS4Ever
October 31st, 2005, 17:17

hmmm. learning something new everyday. thanks.