View Full Version : New S class

jonas_dg
June 20th, 2005, 12:50
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/800/2277412.jpg
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/800/2277410.jpg
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/800/2277414.jpg
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/800/11469.jpg

I don't know about that back though...

Source: http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=3728 (dutch)

exE46M3
June 20th, 2005, 13:22
I remember MB downplaying the E65 when it first came out... Ain't life grand? :hahahehe:

steve
June 20th, 2005, 14:32
don't really like the styling:vhmmm:

And why does that interior look like the one from a BMW's 7 ...

Benman
June 20th, 2005, 15:16
Originally posted by steve
don't really like the styling:vhmmm:

And why does that interior look like the one from a BMW's 7 ...
The answer is simple. Bangle now works for MB!:harass:
And I don't like that styling either. And wow, that interior is THE biggest ripoff of a 7 Series EVAR!

Ben:addict:

Matteus
June 20th, 2005, 16:18
OMG mercedes what in gods name are you doing...

my bet is they wanna go bankrupt...

in my eyes the car has absolutely nothing new to it... it's a perfect mix of the three ugliest cars on the market today: a BMW 7, a Ford mondeo and a Maybach...puke:

ofcourse this is all about taste... but there are limits.

wfg,

matteus

Duma
June 20th, 2005, 16:53
very nice.

Hawk
June 20th, 2005, 19:17
puke:

AMGLORD
June 20th, 2005, 19:33
Hello!

I think itīs really nice!
BUT I think it looks like a Maybach!
Think that a coming S65L AMG would steel coustomers from the Maybach series!

JavierNuvolari
June 20th, 2005, 22:54
MMMMmmmmmmmm...... I think it's good looking car, the front looks very nice...about the rear....definetely not my taste.

rks838
June 21st, 2005, 04:46
Pretty fugly if you ask me. The grille is too large, and has an slightly awkward top line that forms a gentle point in that side picture. The roofline is not at all smooth, meaning it doesn't have the same arc for more than 6 inches before it switches to another one, so it also looks awkward. The back end is just odd, especially the taillights - they scream (metaphorically :)), "We're trying to look modern." Note the modern-looking, younger-than-typical-S-class-buyer businessman in the driver's seat. Plus, it has that raised trunklid (to a lesser extent) from the 7-series! The dash looks pretty good, but looks 7-series. I cannot look at the interior pics anymore without noticing that eerie smiling face - look at the center of the dash, it's got lips, eyes, pupils and a nose! It has a hint of Chrysler 300 - among other things, the wheel wells are humongous, but they go better on a squared car like the 300 than a comparatively curvy car like the new S-class. That's another thing - it's not square (300, A8), nor curvy (Quattroporte), nor in between (current S-class? maybe 7-series?). It's a mix of of square and curvy, with relatively little in between, making it look awkward. Even the door handles are awkward - they both point down, but to different extents. I keep using the word "awkward," but to me that simply describes many of the design features best.

Are those headlights green?

Weird advertising, with that wavy line behind a not-very-wavy car.

It still comes out looking OK, and it's still got that executive sense of power and prominence (maybe it's just big?) that will allow it to sell well no matter what it's pros and cons are. Then again, try a different color and the cons may all change...seems like a car that might look good in a darker color - can anybody photoshop this?

rks838
June 21st, 2005, 04:51
Something sorta funny - notice the (blue?) Mercedes emblem on the top of the grille - just to remind you twice in four inches that it is (drumroll) a Mercedes.

rks838
June 21st, 2005, 05:26
Dark red doesn't look that good either
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/il/features/future/07.mercedes.benz.sclass/07.mb.sclass.f34.2.500.jpg

bilbozilla
June 21st, 2005, 05:52
One chromosome too many from Chrysler - It's a Bangeloid

audi713
June 21st, 2005, 08:06
Looks good enough....gonna see them all over the the place when it comes out. The sad thing is the A8 is a better choice in my opinionbut pl dont care.....they want to look rich and get a MB. On my street alone almost every house has a S-class and a hummer...they all like to get the same cars or something. I know one thing for sure before I sold the the 55 everyone seems to treat u better. I ended up trading it in not to long ago for a A8L and pl ask me what kind of car is that an A4. therealot of people out there that have no idea in what a A4 to a A8 looks like......isnt it kinda big to be a A4?: :eye:

mr
June 21st, 2005, 11:47
hmm -> not really my taste -> interior out of 5/7 series bmw ... exterior ... simply not fitting together ... well -> I think MB will loose customers if they'll bring that on the market!!!

just my 2 cnt.

rgds
mr

Benman
June 21st, 2005, 15:27
I think it's sad to see a fair amount of cars going the "ugly" route. At first, we as Audi fans think this is a great thing. We say, "Awesome, now people will see how much better the Audis look". But this doesn't happen. As mentioned by audi713, people are more concerned with the name than the quality of style (witness Picasso, although most of his works look as if my 5 year old daughter did them, we all believe it to be art and some even pay good $$$).

So like audi713 said, even if it's ugly, the MAIN point is the badge! Look at the 7 series. Give me a break. It's fugly! 5 series, still ugly, yet people keep buying them! Then Mercedes sees that and thinks, "gee, I guess people are now into FUGLY, so lets give the customers what they want!":hihi:

Now for Audi. Audi's executives will see the sales generated by the "fugly" Mercedes and BMW fleet. The exects will say, "dang, we must now give our customers "fugly" as well, dare we lose market share!":doh:

This is not such a far stretch. Audi has already lost their "conservative" and understated look that they have had for years. They too are now trying for the BOLD and IN YOUR FACE look. Witness the new grill. Yes, I like the new A6, A4, A3, etc... but the point is they are no longer understated peices of art. Audi too may one day go down the dark side... :cry:

rks838
June 21st, 2005, 19:07
Yea, the badge is all many buyers care about.

Audi is losing some of its understatement. While it was appealing to me, the B6 A4 began to look a little bland - just a little. Good, solid, clean, modern design, but nothing to catch the eye of the average person, who does not appreciate understatement as we Audiphiles do. Audi added the grille to unite its models and give the cars some added character in the eyes of that average person, I'm thinking.

Look at the RS4 - grille, bright mirrors, tacky badge on side (not even a badge - looks like a sticker!), aluma-look interior, bright+huge exhausts (though only 2, not 4 like MB and BMW...), and other design aspects don't have any understatement. But I don't think Audi has M3-ed it, as many thought the M3 was too boy-racer. I think darker paint colors will help these RS4 design features look more tasteful than gaudy. Sorry, a bit off-topic...

Benman
June 21st, 2005, 22:27
Originally posted by rks838
Sorry, a bit off-topic...
Yeah, we're starting to stray a bit... but for NOW, at least we can be happy that Mercedes look like that and NOT our Audis!:thumb: :cheers:

audi713
June 22nd, 2005, 06:57
dude....I wrote that post the othere day drunk......kinda proud Its came out ok.

maximus
July 7th, 2005, 04:30
you can see the hints of maybach everywhere