PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS 430

Erik
June 13th, 2005, 09:21
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_06_Lexus_IS_460.S178.A8755.html

Nice photos ;) ;)

"A Lexus IS460? Really? That's what our sources are saying. This IS prototype, caught on the Nürburgring by a tourist from Sweden :D is believed to be powered by a 4.6-liter V-8.

Whatever this is powered by, the hood vents, dual exhaust, and small, integrated trunk spoiler indicate that this is no ordinary Lexus IS"

nene
June 13th, 2005, 15:04
I saw the new IS at the New York Auto Show, and I believe it is still very small. Can't imagine how it compete with BMW's 3-series, nor with Audi's A4-series. Lexus still looks boring to me.

maximus
June 19th, 2005, 18:37
Originally posted by nene
I saw the new IS at the New York Auto Show, and I believe it is still very small. Can't imagine how it compete with BMW's 3-series, nor with Audi's A4-series. Lexus still looks boring to me.

i used to love the IS. the lack of power and soul in the car kept me a way. V8 and all wheel drive might keep me interested.

J0X
June 19th, 2005, 19:23
Originally posted by maximus
V8 and all wheel drive might keep me interested.

I'm sure it's a clever move from them. That and chromed mirrors - its pretty obvious whose pond they're fishing in, if you know what I mean..

tailpipe
June 21st, 2005, 19:50
Erik,

While Audi is busy competing with BMW, Lexus has Audi firmly in its sights. Having seen the new IS at Geneva, I think that the Germans need to be worried. It will definitely steal sales from the 3-Series and A4 range, not to mention the C-Class. The IS's interior quality is quite the best I've seen on any new car during the last 3 years with the possible exception of the Maybach and Rolls Royce Phantom models - and I follow the Industry extremely closely. Ergonomics, materials, build quality are all breathtaking.

Lexus will definitely build this performance version. My sources tell me that it will indeed be a 4.6 litre version of current 4.3 V-8. But they've said it will be called the IS500 and not IS460.

There is also talk of all-wheel drive as well as rear-wheel drive. Whatever option is chosen, the chassis of this car is a fantastic start-point. Weight distribution and balance are by all accounts superb. Everyone I've spoken to in the Industry reckons that this will be the car that finally puts Lexus into contention versus the established German brands.

The LF-A sports car is also approaching production and will be a hyper spohisticated flagship. It will be a match for the R9, M6 and Porsche 911. In short, Lexus is on the verge of greatness.

I just hope Audi realises the extent to which it is threatened.

Benman
June 21st, 2005, 22:43
Originally posted by tailpipe
Erik,

While Audi is busy competing with BMW, Lexus has Audi firmly in its sights. The IS's interior quality is quite the best I've seen on any new car during the last 3 years with the possible exception of the Maybach and Rolls Royce Phantom models - and I follow the Industry extremely closely. Ergonomics, materials, build quality are all breathtaking.

In short, Lexus is on the verge of greatness.

I just hope Audi realises the extent to which it is threatened.
Wow, these are some pretty bold statements. As you folk know, I'm from a Lexus family. Pop and mom both have a Lexus and now kid brother went out and purchased one as well.

I got to admit, the new GS 430 is very nice. The fit and finish is right up there with Audi. But I don't have any plans on selling my Beast any time soon.:hahahehe:
Ben:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

Erik
June 23rd, 2005, 07:53
I just read that Toyota is removing the Celiga, MR2 and similar cars from the EU market. Their engines are too dirty and sales are too low.
But since Toyota is in F1 - and I think they will soon do very well - they wan't to make money out of the 'sporty' market segment I am sure there are new cars around.

maximus
June 29th, 2005, 08:53
Originally posted by Benman
Wow, these are some pretty bold statements. As you folk know, I'm from a Lexus family. Pop and mom both have a Lexus and now kid brother went out and purchased one as well.

I got to admit, the new GS 430 is very nice. The fit and finish is right up there with Audi. But I don't have any plans on selling my Beast any time soon.:hahahehe:
Ben:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

the new gs looks dorky now. the only lexus which looks good at this time is the ls which is beginning to look like all of the other ls's that it has replaced. an is 500??? thats sounds hot!!!

Benman
July 7th, 2005, 01:05
the new gs looks dorky now.
Beauty (or lack of) is in the eye of the beholder. There are many Audi fans who think the new grill is "dorky" as well. I like it, but not all will.

All car companies seem to be traveling down the bold and in your face design. Just pray they do not all take the Bangle route.

Ben:addict:

maximus
July 7th, 2005, 04:28
Originally posted by Benman
Beauty (or lack of) is in the eye of the beholder. There are many Audi fans who think the new grill is "dorky" as well. I like it, but not all will.

All car companies seem to be traveling down the bold and in your face design. Just pray they do not all take the Bangle route.

i def agree with you about beauty in the eye of the beholder. the audi waterfall looks nice to me.
the new in your face designs will stick around as long as we buy the products, eben though people are upset about the bangle situation, people are still buying bmws pretty fast.

Benman
July 7th, 2005, 15:58
eben though people are upset about the bangle situation, people are still buying bmws pretty fast.
Yes, strange those people are...:p

Erik
July 30th, 2005, 13:57
http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/index.html?s_ocid=20117 Getting there...