PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Air Injection Pump

nene
June 10th, 2005, 16:15
The 1998-2002 (B5) S4 Tiptronic has a secondary air injection pump that basically just injects air into the exhaust system during the car startup procedure, to help it pass emissions. This only exists on the Automatic versions of the car, and I believe the B5 RS4 also has this pump.

As the car gets old, this air pump starts to go bad, and makes a horrible high pitch wheezing sound for about 15 seconds during startup. It will make the annoyingly horrible sound when idling, and than it disappears. The sound can be located near the firewall area (center section), about where you would find the battery. If you open the hood, it can get really bad. In fact, I'm having it replaced today, hopefully.

And now to my point. Given that the RS6 is also Automatic, and it is bi-turbo, and has "issues" with passing emissions post 2003 in the USA, does anyone know if our beasts have this secondary air injection pump as well? I'm not at home this week to check the Bentley manual, and the RS6 has not been making any noises, and I figured I'd just post for feedback.

Here are some URLs I found on this issue:
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1861244.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1975157.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1598694.phtml
http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1144432.phtml

Thanks RS6.com team.

Hy Octane
June 10th, 2005, 16:32
Most definately.. You can hear it during warmup and when the autochoke cuts out, so does the 'whine' of the air pump. The 4.2 has the same thing..You mean it gets louder?

Nordschleife
June 10th, 2005, 17:02
Originally posted by nene

And now to my point. Given that the RS6 is also Automatic, and it is bi-turbo, and has "issues" with passing emissions post 2003 in the USA.

Where is it suggested hat the RS6 has "issues" with passing the US emissions tests? I believe there has been some confusion here.

One of those internet myths grew up over the manufacturing window for the RS6 - the 'internet crowd' read the statement that the engine is not EU4 compliant and had to be sold by a certain date, as "woo hoo can't meet US emissions after 2003". My experience with passing emissions in CA with tuned turbo Audi engines (read RS4), is that they sail through with about 40% of the permitted emissions, even when chipped.

Many of the emissions regulations have their origins in NTTB practices, rather than sound environmental practice. The time is well past that by which we should have harmonised regulations on emissions.

R+C

nene
June 10th, 2005, 20:02
Nords,
I'm only speaking of what the dealer told me. To be candid, I know that dealerships don't usually know alot, but I certainly know less than they do on this respect. If our cars need a secondary air injection pump, I'd consider that an "issue" and not so much a feature. And again, I'm not as well informed as I'd like to be on this respect, and look on this forum for knowledge.
The RS6 was only available in 2003 at USA dealerships. Thus, there has to be a reason why they were never sold in the USA as a 2004 model. As for the reason behind it I haven't the slightest idea. But the dealer told me that no 2004s would come stateside because of failing to emissions testing.

Due to quattro they don't even do emissions testing at the local garage, so there you have it.

But more to the point, any idea on my other issue?
Thanks for any clarification on the emissions, as I'll take your word for it, given that I have no facts one way or the other.

The sound from that silly pump does get much louder. It almost blew my eardrums yesterday, as I decided to open the hood and try to diagnose it as it was very loud for only about 20 seconds. But my S4 is a MY2000 with 61K miles on. Of course at the dealer, the car is warm, and it does not make the sound. But I'm 90% sure that is the issue, and I gave them the go ahead on the work.

zaxik
June 10th, 2005, 20:36
Do You guys have ETKA to look in and figure our exactly wheather pump is a piece of enfine or not ? My friend has it and moreover :bow: - he knows how to use it. I'm certain that m5 has it. Will try to clarify for RS6 engine and let You know.

PS: 2 Nordschliefe - Your comment on Faberge Easter Eggs is good but unfortunately does not adress me to a full extent :cry: I'd love to be in oil business, but my fate is different - I'm a software developer - yet not ready to go for movit . Though I dream of them - they look graeat and sounds like they may well be an ultimate solution for :rs6kiss:

Nordschleife
June 10th, 2005, 23:12
I don't know for sure, but "secondary air injection pump and RS6 does ring a bell with me".

It saddens me to say it, but it was quality issues that hastened my departure from the RS6 scene. I did not, and do not, feel the RS6 is as well put together or made of as good quality material as the S4 and RS4 that preceded it. All is not lost, I really do think the A8 is a beautifully finished car, that you don't have to take somewhere else to have properly finished (almost).

People considering replacing their RS6s could do worse than the an A8 and a Cayman S, think about it.....

R+C

Benman
June 11th, 2005, 01:25
Originally posted by Nordschleife
It saddens me to say it, but it was quality issues that hastened my departure from the RS6 scene.
People considering replacing their RS6s could do worse than the an A8 and a Cayman S, think about it.....

R+C
Sorry about the issues with your car Nord.

A8 is too slow, Cayman S is too small.

Nene, keeps us posted how things turn out with your pump issue. To date, that hasn't come up with mine...

Ben:addict:

Nordschleife
June 11th, 2005, 02:22
Ben

Nothing has gone past me when I have been driving an A8. So its a great car for most of the time.

The Cayman S 'handles' - keep it for 'High Days and Holidays'.

R+C

BBGT2
June 12th, 2005, 06:04
Agree with Nord about the RS6 issues, I loved mine BUT Audi did rip us on certain things. Just by not giving us the Recaros was bad enough, and knowing they could have given us more power, better brakes and a host of other perfomance items shows that they have a lot to learn. As far as the A8 is concerned that is one phenomenal luxo-cruiser, it will be a close call for me between the "upcoming S8 and the new RS6" that will be a toughie. What Audi said about the emmisions was bs, thats just their way of saying NO to us here for whatever reason they may have. In my honest opinion they could have made the RS 6 more unique and cosmeticaly different than the A6, different bumper 's and badging is not enough, come on the A6 4.2 had the fenders flared and then you keep the same exact look for the RS6. The new RS4 now that is different.

Bajo:addict:

nene
June 12th, 2005, 19:10
I am extremely happy with the RS6. When I went to the dealer to pick up the S4 after the secondary pump injection, the sales clerks came out and asked me if I wanted to sell it. Apparently they have a small list of interested buyers looking for used RS6s. I'm just too happy with my car to get rid of it.

As for the S4, the pump was changed, and so far no more of that annoying sound. I turned it on this morning after 2 days of letting it sit alone in the garage, and the horrible noise is not there.

If I hear that sound on the RS6, at least now I'll know what to get replaced.

Aronis
June 12th, 2005, 21:42
As the RS6 gets older, I seem to be reading more negative comments about it.

I have said from day one, it would be nice if it had the proper Nav system with indash screen.....otherwise the car is great, and I have no regrets.

Mike

gjg
June 13th, 2005, 08:06
it would be nice if it had the proper Nav system with indash screen.....

something like this?

Erik
June 13th, 2005, 08:25
Originally posted by Aronis
it would be nice if it had the proper Nav system with indash screen.....

rzamora on the forum has converted his :0:

(it wasn't easy)

nene
June 13th, 2005, 15:12
I checked the Bentley manual, and the RS6 does have the secondary injection pump. Getting it replaced does not seem too difficult, but the manual does state that passenger side wheel and liner needs to be removed to access the bolts from underneath. I have yet to confirm this. I have no plans to touch this thing unless I feel it needs replacement due to horrible noise mentioned previously. So far so good though.

As for the Nav+, I plan to get one soon, and make the swap over this Summer. NavPlus site! (http://www.navplus.us/) .
Folks have done it on the A6 as well as All-Road. The item is pricey, but replacement can be done over one day. Plan to do it myself, to ensure items get put back in place the proper way. Since doing work on my old S4 myself, I've found that bolts are missing from various places. At least they are not of major importance, but regardless. I'll have to start double checking things after the cars come back from service. As for the S4, it was in a couple of minor accidents since my sister too ownership, so I'm not sure it was the dealership that forgot to put things back.
The switches on the driver's door for the rear windows are not correct, so I have to take it apart this week to fix them. They seem to open the incorrect side windows. I hate most body shops.

gjg
June 14th, 2005, 14:22
Nene, just a note on DVD maps as I have learned last week.

There are two different MMI systems curretnly used - one console based in new A6/A8 (controls on center panel by stick shift) and the second one is the in-dash RS6/new A4 and Allroad with screen and controls in dashboard.

The DVDs are NOT compatible i.e. A6's MMI DVD will not work in RS6 MMI NAV system and vice versa. In Europe the A6/A8 MMI DVD part numebr starts with 4Exxxxxxx, RS6 MMI disc # starts with 8Pxxxxxx.

Explanation I've got came from sales guy (when the parts/service department could not find out what is going on and told me I have bad map disc) ..... :idea: ... Looks like the A6/8 system hardware is made by someone else than the one in A4/RS/Allroad ....

This also may be same case in US ..

Aronis
June 14th, 2005, 17:37
I read throught at Nav Plus site, they explain the install quite nicely,

BUT

Not Compatible with XM Sat Radio..

and too much for a Toy item, I don't travel to unknown areas that often to 'need' a nav system, but for $85,000 it should have been a given in the car.

Mike

gjg
June 15th, 2005, 08:25
Originally posted by Aronis
.....a nav system, but for $85,000 it should have been a given in the car....

sometimes people bitch about US dealers, how about this one:

$120k or so car in Europe, DVD map update disc first quoted cost $200, half a day later $560 when ordered and the day after, when the stealer realized this is for RS6, cost went up to $900 (excluding 19% tax). Delivery 6-8 weeks (although in stock in factory approx. 200 miles away) ....

And, of course, got a wrong disc .....

how is this for customer service? :vgrumpy:

Benman
June 15th, 2005, 16:08
Originally posted by gjg
sometimes people bitch about US dealers, how about this one:

$120k or so car in Europe, DVD map update disc first quoted cost $200, half a day later $560

how is this for customer service? :vgrumpy:
Yeah, I have no problem admitting we take it for granted how good we got it here!:D

Ben:addict: