PDA

View Full Version : brake disks and pads

zaxik
June 4th, 2005, 22:32
Hi there,

Just found your community on the web.

Introduction - date of pickup 21.02.2005, bougth new from a dealer with a 0 milage. Sedan, date of production 02/2004, Avus silver, silver interior, navigation Plus (useless in Moscow), TV-Tuner, CD-Changer, sattelite tracking alarmsystem. Tyres - P-Zero Rosso (almost dead after less than 10000km, replacement awating - PS1). My RS6 is regular (not RS6+).

Current milage - 21700 kilometers.

Current list of warranty cases:

- ABS module - sporadic electronic fault - turns ABS yellow light on and fully disables ESP functions wich makes winter driving unforgetably emotional (specifically when you realise that ABS is out of service in the middle of intensive braking that goes quite different from the way you expect it to be). First, brake liquid pressure senseor was changed - did not help, than a new replacement ABS module that came from a factory did not work - now another one came, but main brake magistral starts to leak and new brake tubes are ordered to be changed along with a second ABS module.

- russian winter and de-icing chemicals initiated corrosion of luggage rack alluminium cover stripe. Scheduled to be changed tomorrow.

Q1 - is there anybody from Moscow area in this forum ?

Q2 - Brake disks and pads.
How many kilometers (miles) does your brake disks last before replacement ? I'm currently negatiating a warranty replacement of front perfotated brake disks wich started to produce noise and a body crunch during intensive braking. Noise comes from a right brake caliper. Perforated brake disks were installed along with a new brake pads just 3700 kilometers ago. The same noise and crunch were in place on my original solid brake disks before they run out of allowed thikness - dealer said it's normal when brake disks are at the limit and reccomended to change them. I did but the problem is here again, and again on a right side.

I suspect that right brake caliper needs a replacement - but Audi Russia is not willing to change it so far - they better want to sell me second pair of brake disks and brake pads to see weather it helps or not. I disagree witht them since both brake disks and pads are thik enough and are in a allowed range - in fact they are almost new.

Anybody ever had problems with calipers on RS6 ? We have very aggresive chemicals used in a winter time for de-icing the roads. I suspect that those chemicals could kill right brake caliper. Original brake disks (solid ones) ran almost 18000 kilometers before replacement.

Q3 - "Braking culture". Most of you must have seen your brake disks shining red, some may have seen them shining orange after intensive braking. Are "light emitting brake disks" normal for RS6 ? I read owners manual wich reccomends "multiple intensive brakings from average speed to remove corrosion if there are any after car was not used for a while". My expirience is, that "multiple intensive brakings" will shurely lead to at least "strawberry disks" if not orange - the question is - Are brake disks designed to survive such a heating without loosing its geometry ?

Q4 - Oil. What kind of oil do you use ? I use Castrol TWS and so far oil consuption is 0. I change oil every 7500km wich is roughly 5000miles.

Nordschleife
June 5th, 2005, 08:03
Hi

It sounds as if you have discovered the fact that both the rotors and callipers on the RS6 are poor design and quite unsuitable for their purpose.

Your ABS problem may be as simple as poorly connected sensors. Given the way you stress the brakes, the fact that they are completed 'stuffed' and the tough chemicals, I expect some of the wheel speed sensors have become dislodged.

It does not matter what your dealer or Audi says, the is nothing you can do about the brakes....

except......

replace them.

Mov'it, run by Guido Frensmayer, supplies very high performance brakes for all high performance cars. They are expensive, but a lot cheaper than Faberge Easter Eggs, and good brakes let you keep safe and enjoy your driving again.

You can find Mov'it at http://www.movit.de/

Recently a Swiss company set a new world braking record in a Porsche. They used Mov'it brakes.

Once you start heating your brakes so they glow red, you are heat cycling them, they will be permanently degraded after a few of these cycles.

R+C
PS This is the short version, I have written a great deal about brakes in the past, if you care to look.

TaTaPiRaTa
June 5th, 2005, 14:29
Yeah !

See this:

http://www.movit.de/htm/rs6.pdf

gjg
June 5th, 2005, 20:49
Q4 - Oil. What kind of oil do you use ? I use Castrol TWS and so far oil consuption is 0. I change oil every 7500km wich is roughly 5000miles

as the car manual says

5W40 VW specification 505.01

make sure the oil you use meets the VW505.01.

Castrol makes one synthetic which is exactly that. What you may run in to is the service people saying "this is diesel oil" = donj't buy that s**t, all they need to do is read the manual.

Long life synthetic oil comonly used in normal Audi cars does not meet the factory specs for RS6, unfortunately most of the dealers does not read the FM (f^^^^^g manual) ....

I had case with dealer using differnet oil and had a major argument with them, that stopped after one phone call to/from the factory.

:idea:

7:53 RS6
June 5th, 2005, 20:50
Bare in mind that carmakers like qattro gmbh and say BMW M and other throw in a big deal of time and money in developing their cars, and testing them.

Think about how many simulated and for the matter real in life hard Nurburgring laps is made in developing the M3 CSL or RS6 or other cars in the same leauge. And why Nurburgring? well it offer every thing, even high speed like autobhan.

And how fast above cars are comming in to tirgarten(repitedly) when they do full laps. When the mule are doing full laps whit out v-max.
Please dont underestimet this importent factor when talking down things.

If you dont have the sense to put on real pads and oil if driving inspierd, you should not complain.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And last, to make thing better than stock on these kind of cars it often cost that much money that its not whort it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about your problems, push Audi to solve it, and they will.

JAXRS6
June 6th, 2005, 05:25
Q1: There is, or at least was, a member here from Moscow; his name here is gnomik007. Do a search under "By user name" and his threads & posts should show up. Once that happens, click on his name under "Thread starter" and you'll see how you can either email him or send a PM (Private Message).

Q2: I'm in the US, have never tracked my car & don't drive aggressively most of the time. My front pads and perforated disks were replaced at 38,000 miles; rears had 50% wear.

Q4: We've been told here that only the VW oil specified by Gig (above) may be used. If Audi suspects another oil, reportedly they test oil removed from your car and void warranty coverage for the problem involved if they find the oil is not the VW type specified (made by Castrol, apparently).

Sorry, can't help you with Q3, and I have no idea how warranty coverage there compares to here (where my pads & disks were covered, for example).

Good luck! :thumb:

June 7th, 2005, 20:11
Those on the forum that all the time have talked down the RS6 breakes. They may know if there are any major differens on the Gallardo front calliper and rotors, and tell me the differens on new RS4 rotor and caliper please.

Dont tell me that Gallardo and RS4 is pulling on lower weight than RS6, that i know for sure.

Regards

gjg
June 8th, 2005, 09:58
and tell me the differens on new RS4 rotor and caliper please.

good point - here is RS4 - what is the difference? Rear looks the same as well ....

:idea:

On the other hand IMHO the RS6 brakes, although adequate for normal driving, do not perform too well in high speed "panic" use. I had to slow down from close to 300 km/h yesterday on autobahn because some asshole was talking on cell phone and just went from one line to another without realizing he is actually drviving - brake feel at that speed was about to cut 1/2" rod with my b..t ....

So, will go to Movit once stock setup is worn out. And, btw, there is not much difference in cost ....

June 8th, 2005, 14:24
Yes thats what im trying to point out, the spec on the gallardo rotors is exat the same( front im sure) as the RS6 rotors. I mentioned this a long time a go. Well this is common sense to use inhouse products to sharpen up other cars in the same brand group.

As well as its the RS6 rotors on RS4 i think, but is the hub any diffrent or are things exakt the samme construktion? Im not sure...anybody else know?
As for calipers im not sure but it seems like its the RS6 caliper on gallardo front anyway (different paint and loggo) and RS4 as well the same?

We all know that less weight is of course the best for the breakes so of course the setup can handel moore on gallardo and RS4. But the setup is pretty impressiv on 2060kg Avant as well.

I still hold my line, i have never had any problems whit my breakes on RS6! Exept from extrem pad wear on the to soft for inspierd driving stock pads, but thats normal in the way im driving.
And driving stock pads whit r-compund is of cours a big no,no on RS6.

But than again when using Black Pagid on they hardly wear down at all, even going at it at track and the bite and feel is up as well if comparing stock. And the shity stock breake oil is never in any of my cars.

To quote a friend...Its often the guys whit the minimum tracktime whit their car that is geting the biggest bad as breake upgrade.

Sure its the looks but is it needed and is it worth it? Of course ther are better breakes out on the market than stock. And if some
one inteend to join VLN i guess it good to uppgrade the RS6 breakes and down grade the kg. Or leave it stock and buy a race car insted:thumb:
But if dollars was not limited in my pocket i would go for Movit for the looks mostley and its cool, not beccuse its needed! Sure in the deal i probably will also gain in preformance and durability a bit.