PDA

View Full Version : SRT8 vs. RS6 driving impressions

JAXRS6
June 3rd, 2005, 18:31
I drove a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 today -- 425 hp etc. Got lucky by stopping in local dealer & finding one that had been sold, but financing fell thru so it was available. Not even prepped yet; couldn't get trunk open because of dealer work that had not yet been done. (BTW the battery is in the trunk on this car too!) I drove it because I want to find something I like enough that I might buy one post-RS6.

Acceleration was very impressive -- felt about the same as the RS6 from a stop, and from punching it at 30 mph. One difference: The SRT-8, even with traction control on, lost its grip briefly at launch. Rear end did a little swerving, then settled down & I rocketed forward. Not too scary, tho, cuz I never lost control.

On the Interstate, punching it at 60 or so, the RS6 seems faster.

Ride quality was good -- a bit smoother than the RS6, I thought. But there was more body lean, probably due to the higher stance of the SRT-8. The RS6 is quite a bit lower -- looks sportier, less body roll. The Chrysler is longer, with a bigger back seat, but lighter. Steering was fairly communicative, with less effort at low speeds than the RS6.

Interior looked good, tho not a lot different than the regular 300C. Aftermarket wood is available; saw it on a 300 in Florida and it looked good too.

Warranty-wise, the Chrysler offers only 3 years & 36K miles. Their 7/70 coverage on the drivetrain disappears for 06 models, according to my salesman. Thus my Audi is actually in better shape for warranty, since I have 4+ years and 60K miles left before my extended coverage expires. On the other hand, Chrysler offers several extended warranty packages too. And I'd be close to a dealer in both of my locations, rather than 25 to 40 miles away.

Bottom line: I still prefer the RS6, but if it goes into the shop again for an extended period, the SRT-8 will be on my mind. I would lose exclusivity and AWD by using it to replace the RS6, but I'd also be able to put about $20K in the bank at today's prices -- not a bad trade-off for someone like me who probably won't be able to afford the next RS6.

I know, I know -- "it's a Chrysler." But part of it is Mercedes-Benz, and it's the best Chrysler product I've ever driven.

Benman
June 3rd, 2005, 19:22
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I drove a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 today -- 425 hp etc.

I know, I know -- "it's a Chrysler." But part of it is Mercedes-Benz, and it's the best Chrysler product I've ever driven.
Nice write up.

As for the Chrysler part. Who cares, performance is performance right?:thumb:

Sometimes some of us get too caught up in the "image" of the high end stuff that we look at the other stuff as "not good enough" (certainly true of most Ferrari folk). True the SRT-8 will never be an RS 6, but it looks good, is fast (as you confirm) and is more roomy for way less. It ain't got quattro, but then neither does an E55 or M3/M5.

Ben:addict: (and I ALSO will likely NOT be able to afford the upcoming RS 6 so might have to look elsewhere. Hmm... maybe S3?)

Ben:addict: