PDA

View Full Version : Veyron Storms To 248.5mph Record

Erik
June 3rd, 2005, 11:31
That's 399.8 km/h. :rolleyes:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/57118/veyron_storms_to_2485mph_record.html

"Unfortunately, whilst we would love to show you photographs of the event, the official photographer failed to grab any shots of the momentous occasion, the car was moving so quickly."
:D

remedy
June 3rd, 2005, 13:47
A special second key to enable top the top speed settings? That's crazy. Without it the car will "only" do 375. ;) Still plenty fast IMO, I guess they had to include that to avoid angry customers who wanted a 400km/h car regardless of whether they intend to run it that fast.

kolfiber
June 4th, 2005, 09:39
bugatti ang koenigegg is fighting of who will be the first to get over the magical 400km/h edge. I wish that koenigsegg will be tha first one becuse I'm from sweden as koenigegg, so GO GO GO GO GO:revs: :incar:

remedy
June 4th, 2005, 22:11
Originally posted by kolfiber
bugatti ang koenigegg is fighting of who will be the first to get over the magical 400km/h edge. I wish that koenigsegg will be tha first one becuse I'm from sweden as koenigegg, so GO GO GO GO GO:revs: :incar:

Um, the Bugatti has already won it...

Nordschleife
June 5th, 2005, 08:20
Originally posted by remedy
Um, the Bugatti has already won it...

OH NO IT HASN'T! It did not go as fast as they said it did.

Please stop repeating company spin.

Remember the 'story' about the Silver key? is it Silver - no its aluminium, cheaper and more Volkwagen than silver.

Then when you put the aluminium 'key' in its lock, the car checks itself (like it doesn't when you put the ordinary key in?) and lowers itself closer to the road (like the A8, but you don't need a special key for that, in fact you don't need any key).
Then you can drive the car fast, but only until you touch the brake pedal, when you have to stop and put the aluminium key in again. So you will probably never get the car to go fast because it reverts every time you touch the brake pedal.

It doesn't matter long the legs on the girl who is telling you all this are, or how sophisticated she thinks she is, this is a load of rubbish. This car is rubbish, the people selling it cannot even bring themselves to work at the factory (Oh no, I couldn't work in Molsheim, its far too boring there), the people who engineer the car chose to do it in Kessel in the middle of Germany. This whole car is an exercise in smoke and mirrors.

And have you noticed - they forgot to leave space for a number plate at the front?

R+C

kolfiber
June 5th, 2005, 09:05
it's a very interesting figth between bugatti and koen. 400km/h is very fast so why dont get faster? i think it's migth have lost the line, it will be like a train that lost the rails, were are the whole thing going? how fast will the customers go anyway? but you does'nt buy a Bug. or a koen. to cruise... ...they are made for track or autobahn racing:incar: ...

...what about these keys? i dont get it:vhmmm:
but i cant buy any of these cars antway, they do cost some money dont you know. it will be interesting to see the fight and whats happen after the finish:race: :revs:

remedy
June 5th, 2005, 13:57
Originally posted by Nordschleife

How fast did it go then? You seem to know...

Remember the 'story' about the Silver key? is it Silver - no its aluminium, cheaper and more Volkwagen than silver.

Then when you put the aluminium 'key' in its lock, the car checks itself (like it doesn't when you put the ordinary key in?) and lowers itself closer to the road (like the A8, but you don't need a special key for that, in fact you don't need any key).
Then you can drive the car fast, but only until you touch the brake pedal, when you have to stop and put the aluminium key in again. So you will probably never get the car to go fast because it reverts every time you touch the brake pedal.
R+C

Yes, thank you Mr. Obvious, we all read the article.

Nordschleife
June 5th, 2005, 14:13
Originally posted by remedy
How fast did it go then? You seem to know...

Yes, thank you Mr. Obvious, we all read the article.

Given YOUR level of manners, you appear to be well qualified to own one of these cars, in this respect you appear to fit the target audience profile.

R+C

clam
June 5th, 2005, 14:18

Please stop repeating company spin.

It doesn't matter long the legs on the girl who is telling you all this are, or how sophisticated she thinks she is, this is a load of rubbish. This car is rubbish, the people selling it cannot even bring themselves to work at the factory (Oh no, I couldn't work in Molsheim, its far too boring there), the people who engineer the car chose to do it in Kessel in the middle of Germany. This whole car is an exercise in smoke and mirrors.

And have you noticed - they forgot to leave space for a number plate at the front?

R+C

I thought this would happen. People have been bagging on the Veyron for years, and now that they have finally proven the critics wrong, it time to start nagging about stupid details.

Off course it wasn't engineered and tested in Molsheim. That's the where the factory is. The people in that fairly small town probably wouldn't appreciate it if VW started testing the car over there. Lotus doesn't even manufacter the engines and chassis for the Elise. It's all outsourced. They just put it together. Does that make the Elise 'smoke and mirrors'.

And the key probably doesn't 'pop out' the minute you touch the brakes. Logically, the settings only return to standerd after a certain speed is achieved, when the session has ended.
The key is there so the driver gets to decide what settings the car should have. It would be pretty bad if the car has to guess what the driver is planning. A special key is just cooler than a button on the dash. Who cares if it's not silver. That material is weak anyway (which was probably the reason, not weight). Only rappers are concerned about stuff like that.
And I should like to see this 400kmph Audi A8, you speak off.

Bugatti hasn't released the official Vmax figure yet. The release just said 'over' 400kmph, without giving an exact figure. Fact is, they did it. They won. And unless the critics can rival the achievement (a Gran Tourismo that does 400kmph), from behind their computer, they should just accept defeat.

remedy
June 5th, 2005, 14:20
Given YOUR level of manners, you appear to be well qualified to own one of these cars, in this respect you appear to fit the target audience profile.

R+C

Yes, bacause your post wasn't inflammatory at all...

The articles seem to claim that TÜV verified the 400km/h speed, if you have other credible information to the contrary we'd very much like to see it.

Nordschleife
June 5th, 2005, 15:21
Clam

You are being deliberately obtuse.

Almost everything about this car is stupid. Almost everything said about it by the company is 'spun'.

If instead of reading about the car you went and visited Wolfsberg and Kassel and spoke to Thomas Bsher and and FJ Paefgen, you would realise what an embarrasment this is to VW.

I cannot understand why so many people queue up to brown-nose Volkswagen, what VW needs is more people saying - "stop this nonsense before you waste anymore money".

I have been around high performance cars for a long time, I don't need to be told a load of irrelevant nonsense about Lotus, which does run development and testing from its factory.

Clam, you confuse your hopes, with FACTS, the fact is that the Veyron was a bad idea in the first place and time has not made it any better.

R+C

R+C

Bauer
June 6th, 2005, 05:29
My two bits......when the Veryon was annonced to be in development I was excited about it.....as the delays and problems came up....and more then any other normal super car. It kind of lost its luster.

If they in fact hit that top speed then it is impressive..but it won't handle like the F1 as it is too heavy.

As for Nord stating this car is an embarrasment and waste of money...that is yet to be fully seen but there have been several "the Emperor has no cloths" projects that have come out of VW. The Phaeton comes to mind...I don't care how good of a car it is...it was and is a stupid idea and a huge waste of money. No one (or very few) wants to drive an 80k car with a VW badge on it.

clam
June 6th, 2005, 10:35
I don't know what obtuse means. But the only thing you can have against this car is economics. Likewise the Phaeton (though, in Germany it sells as much as the S-class). If the Veyron was intended as a money maker, then indeed it would be a failure.

But it isn't. The car is here, and it does what they said it would do. Unlike, for instance, the McLaren F1. Now that's "smoke and mirrors". Not a good car at all (in relative terms), and it cost the same as the Veyron. It makes more sense to bag on that car, but noones doing that. And it also didn't make any money.
Or unlike Ferraris. Until recently they were utter crap, and the company itself wouldn't have survived without Fiat. Or TVRs which fall apart, and still get kudos. And they look funny too.
Or the Lamborghini Murciélago, that had its ass kicked by a sedan driven by Clarkson. That's a joke.
Jaguar XJ220: delayed, no scissor doors, no V12, too much money,....
Ferrari F50, so bad Ferrari threatened owners not to hand the keys over to any media.
Porsche Carrera GT, got its ass kicked on the ring by a Donkervoort with an Audi 1.8T engine.

Out of all those overrated cars, you complain about the Veyron?!? With everyone calling it stupid and a failure, before any reviews or official figures, you can hardly call it overrated. Some magazines have dedicated whole pages to how much they hate the Veyron, and how dumb it is. Probably the ones you've been reading. And now it turns out they were wrong. That makes the Veyron 'underrated'. If anyone is brown-nosing VW, I haven't noticed.

My Lotus point was valid. You said the Veyron is stupid b/c not all the work was done in Molsheim. Well, the chassis of the Elise is made by Hydro Aluminum in a facility in Denmark. The special technique they use also wasn't developed by Lotus. Even worse, the next Esprit will be manufactured in Malasia! That should make it super-stupid.
All car companies outsource a great deal of the work. That doesn't make the car stupid. It's common bussines practice.
Do you feel like a failure if you don't grow your own food? That's a form of outsourcing. It would be insanely stupid if VW build a testing facility in Moslheim just for the Veyron.

The Veyron is a magnificent piece of engineering. That's why I like it. The soap story that was created in the media doesn't make me like it any less. It's just a car, at the end of the day. As long as it does what it's supposed to do, the background story is irrelevant.
Likewise, the background story of my cofee machine doesn't interest me one bit. As long as it makes cofee.

bilbozilla
June 6th, 2005, 20:10
Originally posted by clam
I don't know what obtuse means..

Let me give you some advice and heed it quickly - delete the bolded comment before anyone else reads it.

noushy
July 28th, 2005, 03:32
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that is what writing on the forums is all about. I had hope for the Phaeton, not because I thought it would be a great car, but that it would bring the price of German engineered 12 cylinder luxury sedan to a more affordable price. Also, if VW could start producing higher end cars in volume, some of that would trickle to all of their brands, including AUDI. I think the Veyron is more symbolic than it is a true super sports car. If you want a racer, go buy one, but if you want something that may never happen again in our automotive history (next 10-20 years), then the Veyron may be it. It will be hand built, beautiful fit and finish, and extremely rare. If I could afford it (well I mean pay outright cash for it), I probably would not buy it, but that is because I would rather spend that money on real estate and a small fleet of less expensive cars. Just admire the car for what it means to the VAG group. Maybe some of this technology will trickle down (some has in the form of a 7speed DSG).

Noushy

goku0815
July 28th, 2005, 20:11
you´re right noushy!
I think the only problem of the veyron was that they talked too early about it with too much detail to the performance!
After 6 years the car is finally about to enter production stage and that is the only thing that counts i guess!
The car itself is a mastepiece of design... i bought 2 models 1:18 of it made by autoart, just to have a look at the car from the front and the back at the same moment (foolish eh?)!
The engine is also a masterpiece 4 turbos 16 cylinders in a very small build W way!
i defenitly think the car will smash the koenigsegg because the koenigsegg is the pure racing car but the veyron is a bugatti and bugattis were never ment to be racing cars but more cars with an abnormal love to detail and a lot of power!
take the eb110 for example...sport car from the outside and luxery in the inside.
the problem is that the koenigsegg shows all the technical parts just by one look in the cockpit but the veyron hides it all under luxury in its finest form!
For all of you who asked themselfes why i write all this..... now compare the cars and you will notice, that they are TOTALLY different in everything beginning with what they are ment to be till the way they are built!
but i guess the winner in my personal oppinion is the veyron because it has everything the koenigsegg has and even more ... i mean cmon just take a look at the veyron´s inside!
i sat in one at the iaa 2003 and the seats are just fabolous and so is the drivers position. The steering wheels feels sooo luxury and sporty at the same time!
i just can´t wait to see it tested on top gear or anywhere else!
thanks for reading and good night!

Benman
July 29th, 2005, 01:18
Originally posted by clam
I don't know what obtuse means.
obtuse:

1:Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.
2:Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark.
3:Not distinctly felt: an obtuse pain.
4:Not sharp, pointed, or acute in form; blunt.

...for what it's worth...:D

Ben:addict:

Benman
July 29th, 2005, 01:27
Originally posted by Bauer
My two bits......when the Veryon was annonced to be in development I was excited about it.....as the delays and problems came up....and more then any other normal super car. It kind of lost its luster.

OK, if I add two more bits, will that make it quad bit? (OK, bad Audi joke)...

I agree, the car was exciting (and still is) but has lost a little luster with all the delays and issues that have come up. I don't know if I'd go as far as calling it stupid, but to each their own.

Originally posted by noushy
If you want a racer, go buy one, but if you want something that may never happen again in our automotive history (next 10-20 years), then the Veyron may be it. It will be hand built, beautiful fit and finish, and extremely rare.
Agreed. Different strokes for different folks. The Buggati WILL be different, that is for SURE. Some will like/love it. Some (as we have seen) won't. It is still a very interesting car.

Ben
:addict:

Toto89
August 9th, 2005, 10:44
I heard about Bugatti will build a more powerful version of Veyron which will have 1100hp.This version will be faster than 400kmh and faster than Koenigsegg or any other supersportcars.