PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 B8.

Iceman
June 2nd, 2005, 20:49
http://www.autozeitung.de/pages/aktuelles_heft/images/ah_1205.jpg

wfg, Hans.

RXBG
June 3rd, 2005, 00:00
no way. the nose is going to shrink rather than enlarge. and the headlights will be more nuvolari-like.
:nono:

tailpipe
June 3rd, 2005, 02:14
Thanks Hans. But i have to agree with RXBG. The frame certainly needs to shrink, and hopefully it will. But more fundamentally B8 will incorporate the new P47 platform architecture resulting in a noticeably different front end. The engine will be mounted much further back - behind the front axle like BMWs if reports are correct. There will be a larger gap between the front wheels and the door openings. The same architecture will also be used in the A6. Weight balance will be much, much better. Handling should be dramatically improved. Whatever, this is a car that is definitely worth getting excited about. Prototypes are already on the road.

Iceman
June 3rd, 2005, 16:32
I can not see how the engine will be mounted much further back behind the front axle in combination with Quattro four wheel drive.
Further i don't believe Audi wil abandoned there T3 improved Quattro system, that is the same as curse in church.
The only way for the engine to be mounted further back behind the front axle is to use a 180 degree turn around Lamborghini Gallardo drive train with 4, V6 and V8 engines.
See simple sketch:
http://img224.echo.cx/img224/5531/drivetrainsketch6ut.jpg

wfg, Hans.

tailpipe
June 5th, 2005, 18:38
Iceman,

The engine is definitely behind front axle. I believe that a brand new transmission system has been developed. Details are still very unclear but this is going to be a very big Audi story when it breaks. I have heard two possible technical solutions. One is that that the gearbox is mounted behind the engine with a drive shaft running forward to the front wheels either through the engine sump or adjacent to it. The other is that the gearbox is mounted in front of the engine, with a drive shaft running to the back wheels for Quattro models. I do know for sure that the new platform architecture will be shared between both A4 and A6 models, but precise details are still secret.

The story goes that Audi's boss, Martin Winterkorn wanted to move the entire Audi range to a rear-wheel drive platform architecture for the future, but the move was vetoed by Bernd Pischetstreider, head of VW. Furious but undefeated, Winterkorn's brief to Audi's engineers was to develop a revolutionary front wheel drive platform offering all the advantages of both FWD and RWD but with as few compromises as possible. Thus weight distribution of new platform is fantastic but not quite 50:50. Handling is reportedly in another league from any existing Audi model. Totally predictable and safe on the lmit., this solution allows you to chuck the car around in an unbelievable way.

The first model to feature the new platform will be the A4 / A5 coupe based on the Nuvolari show car and is slated for launch in 2007. I will let you know more as soon as I do, but expect an official announcement of new tplatform echnology approach from Audi at Franfurt. We should see running gear model but not an actual car yet.

Iceman
June 5th, 2005, 18:46
Originally posted by tailpipe
One is that that the gearbox is mounted behind the engine with a drive shaft running forward to the front wheels either through the engine sump or adjacent to it.
This is the same system BMW and Mercedes are using in there 4WD cars.

wfg, Hans.

clam
June 6th, 2005, 10:16
The problem with that Merc/BMW layout is that the non-quattro version will be RWD. That, or a very strange FWD.
As you probably already know, I support the front-mounted gearbox. It has numerous advantages, and would be able to share the drivetrain with the A9.

I think the Audi engineers have to be handling gurus by now, since they were able to make the current Audis handle so well. Seems like they defied physics, with V8s and whatnot hanging over the front axle. "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor", imagine what they will achieve with a balanced layout.

kolfiber
June 7th, 2005, 10:48
looks like a photoshop to me... ...but cool anyway!:revs: