PDA

View Full Version : Of Chips, hi power and trannys.. Some insight..

Hy Octane
June 2nd, 2005, 18:00
I have been talking to a number of 'tuners' about variious things RS6 over the past weeks.. While I am not ready to chip my car yet (gotta get the motor fixed first and even then i'm kinda hesitant) I wanted to clear up some rumors about the dangers of chipping these beasts. My main concern has been the reports about transmission failures do to the inability of the RS6 box to handle the additional torque and hp. They all agreed that the problem is not that the tranny cant handle the power increase, but rather that the failures we have heard about are mostly due to these chipped beasts being driven so hard that the tranny fluid actually boils away causing the failures. Now granted, some have failed in the parking lot but this is just average faulty components. interesting eh?:vhmmm:

nene
June 2nd, 2005, 18:37
If the tuners know that the oil is boiling beyong it's capacity, why not develop an oil cooler kit of sorts? I know it's tight in that engine bay, but there's got to be some way to develop something such as this.

I do plan on chippin' it later, and I don't think I'll blow the tranny, as it never happened to me on the S4, although you never know.

choppo
June 2nd, 2005, 19:49
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nene
[B]If the tuners know that the oil is boiling beyong it's capacity, why not develop an oil cooler kit of sorts? I know it's tight in that engine bay, but there's got to be some way to develop something such as this.

Its not hard to add a tranny cooler ( just split 1 existing line ) just have to find a place in the clean air to put it.
Then you block something else so the circle continues and more problems to fix.

But I am not so sure thats the only factor with the tranny faliure as the sluggish shifts have a % to do with it and really not so sure that these beasts are @ the limit or dang close for street applications.

And for sure a trans cooler would help IMO to.
Always has in all other HiPo vechiles I have had.
Now for track anything goes ;)

TaTaPiRaTa
June 2nd, 2005, 20:53
I'm not an expert here , but I noticed the level of tranny oil gets down quicker than before chipping. So I check it every 5000km.

:rs6kiss:

Aronis
June 2nd, 2005, 21:58
Are you checking it up on a lift or on the ground?

Too bad there is no dip stick to check the transmission fluid level.

I thought that transmission fluid levels only go down if you have a leak, since it is a sealed system.???? Where does it boil off to if there is not exit point?

Mike

Silversleepa
June 3rd, 2005, 03:20
IMO, the tuners dont really give a Sh$% about us after we buy the chip/upgrades from them my good doctor...sadly this seems the case when reading through the forum feedback from some...I do like the creavity though...by the time "the oil" burns off and screws your tranny, you cant check for a leak b/c your trannys all over the highway...on the other hand, if true...think how hard you'd have to push the car to do that kind of damage...even chipped, I dont think the majority of us would be stomping the Beast at every light...I think I would be more of a "enjoy the HP through third and fourth" kind of user, although I do drive around the NYC/NJ/CT area so we have plenty of excuses to floor it to either get ahead of, or around some (other) crazy drivers...

miisalo
June 3rd, 2005, 05:58
Good tranny chip and tranny oil change in every 30000miles and you should be safe.

Nordschleife
June 3rd, 2005, 06:56
As usual the tuners are talking out of their rear vent.

There are additional oil coolers available that were planned to be fitted to the RS6, these were omitted when the Dollar tanked. They were fitted to the RS6 Plus. It should not be beyond the wit of somebody in the US to get hold of these parts.

R+C

TaTaPiRaTa
June 3rd, 2005, 16:12
Nord!

Are you talking about something like MTM additional tranny oil cooler for around 1k Euros (ex VAT)?

Do you have an idea what happened to the oil from the tranny when my servicemen stated it was rather low (in 14000 km)?

thanks

:rs6kiss:

gnomik007
June 3rd, 2005, 16:47
Originally posted by Hy Octane
They all agreed that the problem is not that the tranny cant handle the power increase, but rather that the failures we have heard about are mostly due to these chipped beasts being driven so hard that the tranny fluid actually boils away causing the failures. Now granted, some have failed in the parking lot but this is just average faulty components. interesting eh?:vhmmm:

I tell u when my beast was chipped and got an exhaust the tranny oil did start overheat after intense driving.I have decide to put two blitz oil coolers at the front instead of OEM one of tiny size and it was sorted.I even put Milltek cats in it and tranny still behaved very capable and responsive,so some additional cooling will definately take the risk of overheating and possible damage to minimum.:)

Silversleepa
June 3rd, 2005, 16:56
Which model do you drive? Also, did you do Milltek products all the way back from cats to exhaust? and which chip r u using?

Anything else?...hyperboost valves...filter change?

Thanks!

SpinEcho
June 4th, 2005, 23:07
Originally posted by Hy Octane
My main concern has been the reports about transmission failures do to the inability of the RS6 box to handle the additional torque and hp. They all agreed that the problem is not that the tranny cant handle the power increase, but rather that the failures we have heard about are mostly due to these chipped beasts being driven so hard that the tranny fluid actually boils away causing the failures.

Sounds like inability to handle torque and hp by any other name. Inadequate cooling/fluid capacity, mechanical breakdown - both are types of failure, and clearly indicate the dangers of pushing the envelope on cars that are already close to the limit.