PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Have done RS6 oil Change.

VinzRs6
May 30th, 2005, 15:22
Hello again. Looking to be heroic and attempt to do my own RS6 oil change. I had done all but a handful of oil changes on my 01 S4 so I am somewhat knowledgable of Audi's ways.

While reviewing the Bentley Manual, it calls for the removal of the chassis support to the sway bar inorder to get the oil filter out and in. My questions are as follows:

1). Is this a difficult procedure, removing this support bracket? Is it only on the passenger side or both sides?

2). If the vehicle is on ramps, does this make this impossible to do, any tension on the bar?

3) Is there another way to get at the oil filter via the top near the airbox?

I am sure someone here has been adventurous enough to do this. I look forward to your help. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Vin

gjg
May 30th, 2005, 22:06
sway bar???

I did it twice so far and all I removed was air hose bellow the oil filter - metal piece and rubber one. Once you are under the car with the bottom engine cover off you will see the oil filter and the air hose bellow. Takes about 2 minutes.

gg

VinzRs6
May 30th, 2005, 23:17
Thanks for the reply. I truly appreciate the info.
Regards!!!!

Vin

Aronis
May 31st, 2005, 14:24
I have changed mine four times now.....more often than the 10k mile bs....

First time I dropped one side of the torsion bar, was not sure about tension on it...was risky, but as it turned out there was no tension on it....

Next time had low profile ramps, huge difference....dropped both sides (4 bolts) and the filter was easy to remove.

I must say, I am mystified by GTG, since I did not see such air hose to remove. In my car there is nothing but METALS STUFF in the way...

GTG, any more specifics on your approach? Hell it's still a tight fit with the torsion bar down!

Mike

PS DO IT YOURSELF, BE A REAL CAR GUY.

gjg
May 31st, 2005, 20:40
there is a metal/rubber pipe (air) right under the oil filter - loose I think 2-3 bolts to get the metal piece off and loose the clamp on rubber piece and you're on the oil filter. I'm due in about a month so I will take a pics, perhaps my explanation is not clear and pic will show it better

gjg
May 31st, 2005, 20:51
I've forgot to mention this is done from a pit so you're actually standing rather comfy under the car and it is easy to work with whatever you need to do, not like low garage ramp ...

I would not fir under anyway if ramp was used .... :D

Aronis
May 31st, 2005, 21:42
NOW THAT"S NOT FAIR

A PIT....

Next you;ll have a lift too

LOL..

Don't you love crawling on the floor of the garage, real men do it that way.

LOL

Mike

gjg
June 1st, 2005, 06:33
well, I'd have a problem to crawl under Sububan ...... did I mention "extra wide" pit? :applause:

VinzRs6
June 1st, 2005, 19:25
Thanks, for the update. I too am planning the Rhino Ramp method. With the 4 bolts out any re-alignment of bar issues, should hardward be replaced( one shot deal bolts)...torque values? I want to do it every 5k as well. Thanks again !!!

Vin

Aronis
June 1st, 2005, 19:34
Its very easy to drop the torsion bar, 4 bolts, no special tools, lines up easily.....

Rhino Ramps! That's the same ones I have if I recall, plastic low profile ramps.

Have fun...

Mike