PDA

View Full Version : A2 to be replaced

tailpipe
May 20th, 2005, 20:16
Great news, the venerable A2 is to be replaced with a new and less expensive model based on the new VW-group platform that will form the basis for the next Polo. There's a picture of it in this week's Autocar. it has all the charm of the original and should end up being excellent value. Apparently, Audi realised the wisdom of continuing to market a supermini. The bad news is that the next A2 won't be aluminium. This is being reserved for the new TT. I suppose an aluminium TT makes more sense than an Aluminium A2.

:alig:

Iceman
May 20th, 2005, 23:44
This is the article from "Autocar".

wfg, Hans.

http://img281.echo.cx/img281/7797/newa20sj.jpg

5000S old skool
May 24th, 2005, 00:12
Originally posted by tailpipe
Great news, the venerable A2 is to be replaced with a new and less expensive model based on the new VW-group platform that will form the basis for the next Polo. There's a picture of it in this week's Autocar. it has all the charm of the original and should end up being excellent value. Apparently, Audi realised the wisdom of continuing to market a supermini. The bad news is that the next A2 won't be aluminium. This is being reserved for the new TT. I suppose an aluminium TT makes more sense than an Aluminium A2.

:alig:

Why not an aluminum RS4????:rs4addict

Benman
May 24th, 2005, 01:32
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
Why not an aluminum RS4????:rs4addict
$$$$:deal: $$$$

Toto89
August 21st, 2005, 12:41
I understand an aluminium RS4 would be more expensive for the factory but AUDI fans would buy it even it would be more expensive!It is only maiden in about 5000 pieces-Audi would not have problems with selling them and they are unique car for the fans-it doesn't matter if it costs much more but do much better on the track.:rs4addict :addict:

Benman
August 22nd, 2005, 16:54
Originally posted by Toto89
AUDI fans would buy it even it would be more expensive!

for the fans-it doesn't matter if it costs much more but do much better on the track.:rs4addict :addict:
I think it would matter very much.

Think of how outrageous the costs would really be. One of the (many) highlights of my trip to Germany was a tour of the Neckarsulm plant. I had a look at both their "regular" A6 line and the A8. I bring this up because you need to remember that Aluminum and steel can NOT share a mold press. They must be completely seperate. Now, just for a quarter panel for the A8, it takes about 8 mold presses!!!:bigeyes: Each of those presses cost an extreme amount of money. They already have a press that makes the fenders and hood in aluminum (for the RS 4) and they do have a unique press for rear quarters and declid AND rear doors but not front doors and roof, side inner structure (many, many peices), floor (vast amount of peices), transmission housing, firewall, engine bay, core support, etc... The costs would just add up to an unbeleivable amount of :deal: It would put the price WELL north of 100K Euros, maybe even 120K Euros.

I was told that some of the early prototypes even HAD Aluminum roofs but tooling COSTS kept it from making the production model! Let alone, the entire car! Maybe for the RS 4 MkIII.:cheers:

Ben:addict: :rs4addict

Toto89
August 22nd, 2005, 17:59
I understand you because I've been to Ingolstadt last year and saw the A3-A4 part of the factory.
Sorry my English is not very perfect but if I understand well what you said ,it would cost 100 000€.I wouldn't worry about this because in Hungary I have to pay 100 000€ for an S4:deal: :0:

Benman
August 22nd, 2005, 21:45
Originally posted by Toto89
Sorry my English is not very perfect but if I understand well what you said ,it would cost 100 000€.I wouldn't worry about this because in Hungary I have to pay 100 000€ for an S4:deal: :0:
Don't worry about your English. The only way it will improve is with practice, and this forum is a perfect place!:thumb:

The 100,000-120,000 Euros I was speaking of would be a price IN Germany. If they are raping you 100,000 Euros for a regular S4, than I would guess an all aluminum RS 4 would be more than 200,000 Euros in Hungary! :bigeyes:

tailpipe
August 26th, 2005, 14:02
In these times of sky high petrol prices, I am very much appreciating Audi's forgotten little gem: my wife's A2.

The economy I'm getting from this car is nothing short of incredible. I fill up once a month, not once a week.

It's all thanks to its incredible light aluminium chassis mated with a frugal 1.4 litre petrol engine. Everyone says this car is too expensive and quirky. I think it is a work of genius.

Like with so many revolutionary concepts, true potential is seldom immediately recognised. The A2 is not perfect, but in so many ways is the blueprint for future city cars. Full of clever ideas beautifully packaged, it's so much more intelligent than the A-Class, Smart and Mini. It's also extremely stylish and well built. I love it.

I am delighted that Audi has had the good sense to replace this car, but disappointed that it won't be made of aluminum. They should have persevered with the concept, because in an age of petrol at £1 a litre, the A2's time has come.

If you know and love this car, please tell Audi.

Benman
August 26th, 2005, 16:36
Originally posted by tailpipe
In these times of sky high petrol prices, I am very much appreciating Audi's forgotten little gem: my wife's A2.

Everyone says this car is too expensive and quirky. I think it is a work of genius.

I am delighted that Audi has had the good sense to replace this car, but disappointed that it won't be made of aluminum. They should have persevered with the concept, because in an age of petrol at £1 a litre, the A2's time has come.

If you know and love this car, please tell Audi.
I think they're a sweet little car as well. It IS dissapointing that Audi didn't stay true to the concept of aluminum. The replacement car is certainly going to weight a fair amount more than the original.

One Pound Sterling a Liter! That's $6.88 a gallon!!!:bigeyes: :MTM: :bigeyes: :MTM:

Ben:addict: