PDA

View Full Version : Volk Racing Rays LE37 (BWW)

nene
May 20th, 2005, 17:00
I finally got my front Volk Racing wheels from Japan. Could not wait to get them on the car and start running wild on the streets of Boston. Heck, these are 19", so wild might be a bit overstating!

Rear : 19x9.5 (rubber 285x30 PS2) et34
Front: 19x8.5 (rubber 255x35 PS2) et34

At first I thought I'd need spacers to run the front wheels in place, due to the aggressive offset. Well, they fit over the brakes without any need of spacers, and I still have 10mm of clearance between spoke and caliper. The use of 5-10mm spacers is option on both front and rear. If you want the wheels to come out a bit more I suppose you could put spacers on.

The tire in the rear given that I'm using 255x35 wide rubber is a bit stretched. Not bad looking, but most likely I'll be purchasing 285x30 instead for it to look best.

I've run the car on even pavement up to 75MPH, and I did not notice any vibration at all. Given that they are 20lbs each, and we've talked about lightweight wheels causing vibration on this car, I have not noticed that yet. As soon as I get a chance, I'll take her up to 90+MPH and report if vibrations occur.

You don't have to get 19x9.5 in the rears. You can go 19x8.5 all around, and I suspect it will just fine. Questions can be answered by me or by Erik (714.632.1951) @ SupremePowerParts (http://www.supremepowerparts.com/) .

Here's a few pix for team!
Please pardon the slight rust on the front rotors, as I had washed the car 2 days earlier, and did not take her out or take pix until 2 days later.

http://www.htms.org/img/052005/volks/volks4lg.jpg

http://www.htms.org/img/052005/volks/volks7sm.jpg

http://www.htms.org/img/052005/volks/volks6sm.jpg

Nordschleife
May 20th, 2005, 17:45
Now you have the wheels, you will have to gret some nice Mov'it front and rear brakes to fill the empty spaces!

R+C

Benman
May 21st, 2005, 00:14
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Now you have the wheels, you will have to gret some nice Mov'it front and rear brakes to fill the empty spaces!

R+C
:applause: :applause:

I like those nene. Why not 19"x9.5 and 285 all around though? Unless you're overly concerned with tight parking.:D

Ben:addict:

nene
May 21st, 2005, 00:21
Something's wrong with my ISP and the pix should be back in an hour or so.

I like the Movi't setup Nord....don't get me going. My next mods for now are:
1. I got a set of stock downpipes that I'm planning to convert to piggie pipes...aka remove the pre-cats and move the O2 sensor further down the pipe.
2. RNS-E...change the radio to full Nav+ (US version).

I could not go 19x9.5 all around because it would not fit properly in the front. It would require at least 5mm spacer, and by pushing the wheel further out, it would rub and look too far out and odd. Best probably going 19x8.5 all around I think.

Benman
May 21st, 2005, 00:25
Originally posted by nene

I could not go 19x9.5 all around because it would not fit properly in the front. It would require at least 5mm spacer, and by pushing the wheel further out, it would rub and look too far out and odd. Best probably going 19x8.5 all around I think.
I wonder what offset/ set up MTM used? They are running 295 all round on their "Bastard Wagon".

Ben:addict:

audi713
May 21st, 2005, 05:49
Is it ok to put staggered wheels with Quattro....I heard it can mess up the trans isthat true

nene
May 24th, 2005, 02:52
I ran staggered on the S4 without any issues for over 2 years. I ran also on the RS6 all last Summer.
On the other hand, my tires are all the same size, thus the rolling diameter should be unchanged, or at the very least very small difference. Keep in mind that the spare tire for the RS6 is not full size, and when fully inflated, it does not have the same rolling diameter as the stock rims. Thus, if Audi thinks that is okay, I believe them it is.

As for staggered wheels, I think that Nords mentioned earlier that it gives the car even worse understeer. Not sure he mentioned it if the tires were actually wider in the rear versus the front though. I don't push the car that hard believe it or not, thus I have yet to see the understeer issue.

PS: friggin' ISP keeps screwing me over.

krm
May 24th, 2005, 07:55
The wheels look great on your car, Nelson. Are those Pilot Sport 1's?

nene
May 24th, 2005, 22:28
They are Pilot Sports (1s). Unfortunately I have to move to a 285 or 295 rear, and they don't make them anymore. I might have to run different front and rear tires for now, where rear will be Pilot Sports 2.

Finnus
May 26th, 2005, 20:53
Nelson,

Car looks awesome!

Finnus

:addict: