PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

5000S old skool
May 15th, 2005, 16:36
Is porsche part of VAG or not... sometimes I hear its just a close partnership... sometimes I hear porsche is VAG...

Sean
May 15th, 2005, 18:24
Yes

Nordschleife
May 15th, 2005, 18:36
the companies are separate.

However the chairman of VAG is a supervisory board member of Porsche, being from one of the Porsche controlling families.

Porsche built the RS2 for Audi, Audi has built cars for Porsche in the past and effectively Porsche does final assembly on the Cayenne which is designed and built for them by VAG, the 6 cylinder engine being a VAG engine as well. The entire suspension and drive package was developed by VAG, Porsche uses different parameters however. The Cayenne is a Touareg variant. PAG likes to gloss over this, until there is a product recall when they blame VAG.

Have you ever wondered why no German manufacturer competes with Porsche's Carreras?

R+C

freerider
May 15th, 2005, 20:39
I think someone already posted this, but here's a picture of the manufacturers and who belongs to who. Not to up-to-date anymore (mg is still there, lotus independent,...)

http://www.expressen.se/content/1/c6/10/22/68/7a76223b.gif

Greetz Johan

Sean
May 15th, 2005, 21:12
Hm, I was pretty sure Porsche was VAG. Ohwell :doh:

Nordschleife
May 15th, 2005, 21:56
free rider's graphic is over simplistic. It does not show the the joint ventures, and inevitably it was out of date as soon as it was public, the auto business is like that.
For example, do you know about the relationship between Maserati and Audi?
The cooperation between VAG/Audi and Porsche is extremely tightly coordinated, as you would expect with common board members. And who owns the Dead Sea Magnesium Company and who are its customers?

R+C

MJN
May 20th, 2005, 22:48
That picture is not completely true, because toyota owns a (big) part of suzuki :p

J0X
May 21st, 2005, 13:48
Originally posted by Nordschleife

...do you know about the relationship between Maserati and Audi?

R+C

I don't. Please do tell!

Nordschleife
May 21st, 2005, 14:00
Audi engineered the quattroporte for Maserati. A team went down to Italy to show Maserati how to set up the production line for the Aluminium quattroporte, and how to build an ASF car.

In return VAG has agreed to take 8-10,000 quattroporte platforms per year for some unspecified new model.

Quite a good deal actually, because you can take out metal ahead of and behind the rear wheels to produce quite different cars, two seaters to stretch limos almost.

There are several cars which could use this platform, Bentley, Bugatti and Audi models spring to mind.

R+C