PDA

View Full Version : This car likes its trips to the Dealership

drmrg
May 6th, 2005, 02:54
:confused:

I dont understand what is going on with my baby...

This car is headed to the Dealership essentially every two months...

The problems range from its fuel cap problem, which required two trips to get fixed... To the headlight level sensor not working. And after they fixed that headlight, I see now that the headlight is not fitting properly into the car (installed improperly).

The latest fun has involved both the ABS and the Traction Control lights both coming on.

I have left the car at the dealership, again, and they are taking their own sweet time to find out what the problem is.
:mech:

Another question I had was about warranty work, if it required the car stay with them overnight, is the dealer required to provide a loaner? I thought that was the case, and initially the dealer was givng me a loaner, but since the last two visits they are saying that since I did not pruchase the car from them, they are not required to provide me with a loaner car..

:vgrumpy:

The car is being driven, I mean I have put about 15K in this year, but I gotta kind of wonder why all the problems. The scary part is that there have essentially been no problems with the engine or drivetrain, meaning that all the problems are with the parts of the car that do not make it an RS6. I think it is strange to see a car with an engine that is the highest stressed item, but that is fine.

JAXRS6
May 6th, 2005, 04:51
Some cars have more problems than others. Wish I knew why or, better yet, how to detect problem probabilities in advance. I've certainly had my share with the RS6, as a search of my posts will attest. Lengthy downtime is my pet peeve, and it's happened three times. On each occasion I started shopping for another car but ultimately concluded that any change would sacrifice power, or size, or AWD. By the time I realize this, my RS6 is ready -- and I fall in love all over again.:rs6kiss:

My car has never left me stranded or completely quit. But numerous things have gone wrong, and I've learned to live with them until I take it in for regular maintenance service, or at least to fix several things at once. Otherwise, you're right, trips to dealership can become too numerous.

And then there are guys like Benman, or was it Bauer?:confused:One of those California guys offered some consolation recently by noting he's had no significant problems with his RS6, and he's not alone. As for me, I had some banging rattles that were tricky to terminate, but they're gone now and (aside from OnStar of course) that's been my only real issue over the past 24,000 miles (I'm approaching 38K). :D

As for why the most-stressed part (engine) seems bullet-proof, I'm not sure but I regard it as a good thing:applause: . Also seemed true with the B5 S4: owners complained about turbos, trannies, MAF filters, sometimes brakes, but the engines never quit.

RE warranty work & loaners: Did you buy your RS6 new? If so you should have an Owner Advocate with AOA to help you. My recollection is that all who bought their RS6 from a dealer are entitled to a loaner from that dealer, but beyond that it's a dealer option. I'm not AOA, tho, and their answer is the one that counts.

audirs6sport
May 6th, 2005, 09:03
lemonaid the beast. there are alot of problems with this car due to the fact that they've rushed this bizatch into the u.s. to make it on scheduled delivery for 2003 models. Since it would not pass 2004 smog tests... This is one of the reasons. With the onstar issue, as far as I'm concerned, it will never be fixed since GM does not meet up audi's "high technology."

Benman
May 6th, 2005, 15:49
Originally posted by JAXRS6
And then there are guys like Benman, or was it Bauer?:confused:One of those California guys offered some consolation recently by noting he's had no significant problems with his RS6, and he's not alone.

RE warranty work & loaners: Did you buy your RS6 new? If so you should have an Owner Advocate with AOA to help you. My recollection is that all who bought their RS6 from a dealer are entitled to a loaner from that dealer, but beyond that it's a dealer option. I'm not AOA, tho, and their answer is the one that counts.
I think you referring to myself as Bauer had to endure an engine out operation to replace a bad turbo.

It bugs me to hear that you guys have put up with so much on these cars since I've been lucky enough to not have had any such issues. I can greatly appreciate the kind of patience required not to get all:vgrumpy: about the situation.

Jax has CERTAINLY been the most patient on this board to date with all the down time his RS 6 experienced. I can't say for sure I would be as enduring.

Drmrg,

Jax makes a good point about the Owner Advocate. Worth a call or you could always lemon it like AudiRS6Sport wants you to.:D

Ben:addict:

JAXRS6
May 6th, 2005, 16:43
Audirs6sport, that's an interesting theory about the reliability issue. Maybe things were rushed, although I've seen no evidence or comments to back up the theory. Wonder if anyone else has?:vhmmm:

I'm not so sure the OnStar issue will remain unsolved, tho, or that the blame lies with GM, since there seem to be no problems with other mfrs using OnStar and the fix (new hardware) supposedly came from Germany. In any case, mine remains working & green since its (hopefully) permanent fix on 4/20.

Oops -- to clarify, my Onstar never did quit. The red light would go on, and I experienced the infamous B Pillar Hiss, but OnStar always was working when I needed it...even with the red light and hiss. I've come to view the hissing, at least, as adolescent angst, a passing phase which (hopefully) is over! :D

And, Benman -- thanks for the sympathy. No doubt I would have lost my patience & switched cars if I was as young as you. Part of getting older is knowing what I want & what I don't and, for example, I don't want a two-door anything ... so here I am!
:dig:

LIRS6
May 6th, 2005, 20:56
thought that was the case, and initially the dealer was givng me a loaner, but since the last two visits they are saying that since I did not pruchase the car from them, they are not required to provide me with a loaner car.

Call your Audi Advocate - all the literature that I have read indicates that the dealer is supposed to supply you with a loaner - part of the "prestige" of owning an RS6. They get it back from AoA anyway, I believe. I get a loaner from mine - and I didn't buy the car from them.

JAXRS6
May 6th, 2005, 21:05
Originally posted by LIRS6
I get a loaner from mine - and I didn't buy the car from them.

Me too. The difference is, I get an Audi loaner from my selling dealer, and here I get whatever they have. Often that means a Galant, an Impala, or a Sebring, tho the Sebring convertible was fun at least. Once I got the Benz SUV.

That still doesn't address the statement I heard, i.e. that loaners are a dealer option. For that, as already said, you need to call your Owner Advocate at AOA...tho I'm not sure how the Advocate help works beyond the original owner.

drmrg, are you an original owner? Do you know about AOA's Owner Advocate program?

audirs6sport
May 6th, 2005, 23:36
Audirs6sport, that's an interesting theory about the reliability issue. Maybe things were rushed, although I've seen no evidence or comments to back up the theory. Wonder if anyone else has?:vhmmm:

I'm not so sure the OnStar issue will remain unsolved, tho, or that the blame lies with GM, since there seem to be no problems with other mfrs using OnStar and the fix (new hardware) supposedly came from Germany. In any case, mine remains working & green since its (hopefully) permanent fix on 4/20.

Oops -- to clarify, my Onstar never did quit. The red light would go on, and I experienced the infamous B Pillar Hiss, but OnStar always was working when I needed it...even with the red light and hiss. I've come to view the hissing, at least, as adolescent angst, a passing phase which (hopefully) is over! :D

And, Benman -- thanks for the sympathy. No doubt I would have lost my patience & switched cars if I was as young as you. Part of getting older is knowing what I want & what I don't and, for example, I don't want a two-door anything ... so here I am!
:dig:

I'm just quoting what I've heard from a buddy of mine from the dealer. He said he met up with one of the engineers from Audi and was told that was one of the factors. Also the issue with the tranny is another deal. Taking the A8 4.2 tranny is a big bad move since knowing the fact that they had alot of problems with the A8's tranny. However, they had no choice since the new 6 speed tip gearbox wasn't available for them on time to release the car as scheduled. But as far as the OnStar goes, Audi decided to toss out the GM pos and leave it in the garbage bag where it belongs.

JAXRS6
May 7th, 2005, 01:34
Originally posted by audirs6sport
... as far as the OnStar goes, Audi decided to toss out the GM pos and leave it in the garbage bag where it belongs.

Huh?:vhmmm: Then why do they still answer "OnStar" when I push the button?

I heard there's been a change for future models; I'm talking about the new unit I got for my RS6, which still answers "OnStar."

audirs6sport
May 7th, 2005, 12:37

I heard there's been a change for future models

Yes, that is what I've just said. They got rid of the onstar deal. not on our existing cars obviously. Audi can't just go to each one of our cars and rip out the onstar.

eph94
May 7th, 2005, 19:02
About the loaner issue, my dealer does not provide them, even for those who purchased their cars there. They have hired, however, an 80-year old to work for their "Courtesy Shuttle" service. I've used the shuttle service twice and feared for my life both times. Even if they put me in a 1994 Geo Metro for free, I'd be happier. Needless to say, I won't be buying from them again since there is no benefit (such as loaner cars) to do so.