PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

Mr Kram
May 4th, 2005, 21:21
Are RS6's equipped for both Sirius and SM? How easy is it to get service hooked up? I have a free 3 month trial with the new Caddy and I kind of like XM. I think they have a plan for $16/month which allows you to hook up 5 radios in total.

nene
May 4th, 2005, 23:06
The RS6 comes pre-wired for satellite radio. You can choose XM or Sirius. You purchase the module from your dealer parts dept. Make sure to specifically say which you wish to purchase. Only one can go in your car at a time.

Installation can be done at the dealership, or 20 mins by yourself if so inclined. The part gets stored in the trunk, and you can search these forums for the technical detail on this subject.

The radio gives you about 5 free stations, and the radio ID. With XM, my choice, I just called up the vendor and gave them my radio ID. About 10 mins later I had full XM coverage.

Mr Kram
May 5th, 2005, 00:11
Originally posted by nene
The RS6 comes pre-wired for satellite radio. You can choose XM or Sirius. You purchase the module from your dealer parts dept. Make sure to specifically say which you wish to purchase. Only one can go in your car at a time.

Installation can be done at the dealership, or 20 mins by yourself if so inclined. The part gets stored in the trunk, and you can search these forums for the technical detail on this subject.

The radio gives you about 5 free stations, and the radio ID. With XM, my choice, I just called up the vendor and gave them my radio ID. About 10 mins later I had full XM coverage.

Sounds simple enough. Thanks!

Scott-man
May 5th, 2005, 00:47
I suggest going to Clair Parts and ordering either the XM or Sirius receiver and following the install described in the link below. Sorry there are no photos, but it is easy!

AudiWorld Tech Article (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec97.shtml)

Mr Kram
May 5th, 2005, 05:02
One more question: What can I expect to pay at the dealer including installation?

How is the part from a third party?

SouthshoreRS6
May 5th, 2005, 13:44
I just added XM last month. Got the module from Clair Audi for $360 plus shipping. It is a 20 minute install as the car is prewired.

My dealer quoted me $450 for the same part and 1.5 hours of labor! This after I just paid top dollar for the car from them. Good work for them if they can get it I guess.......

Bill

nene
May 5th, 2005, 15:07
I paid about $400USD for it, and my dealer was kind enough to install it for free.

Mr Kram
May 5th, 2005, 17:00
Thanks for both responses. I'm going to see what the Audi dealer will charge. Seems like an easy install, but I'm a lazy bastard. I take my car to the shop to change the clear corners. :)

highrustler
May 5th, 2005, 17:43
If you can plug in your blender, you can connect the sat radio. Do you really want to pay the dealer for something that literally takes 5 miututes? There are 4 connectors, each is keyed so you cannot screw up. Find the cable, plug in the box and mount to the empty shelf with two pieces of double stick foam tape. Done!

Mr Kram
May 5th, 2005, 18:06
Originally posted by highrustler
If you can plug in your blender, you can connect the sat radio. Do you really want to pay the dealer for something that literally takes 5 miututes? There are 4 connectors, each is keyed so you cannot screw up. Find the cable, plug in the box and mount to the empty shelf with two pieces of double stick foam tape. Done!

I probably won't pay for 1.5 hours of labor, but if the dealer's price is reasonable, I'll give them my business in a goodwill gesture. Thanks for the pics and advice!

BenA
April 14th, 2009, 22:03
Ok- I've searched the forum but am having an issue when it comes to satellite radio modules. Is anyone here savvy enough to know the difference between the part numbers on these modules? I'm very impressed if so. Here's the skinny... I asked my dealer about a sirius module and they said I needed Part # 8E0-035-593-F which will cost me $515.

Then I go to ebay and see that they have modules numbered 4E0-035-593-F (one digit off) and then many 8E0-035-593 but some have no last letter and some have different last letters (M, H, D...).

The 8E0-035-593 (with no last letter) is claimed to work with the RS6 (by the guy selling it).

Anyone have any pointers or installed something (or tried to install something) different than the 8E0-035-593-F??

Thanks All!

DuckWingDuck
April 14th, 2009, 22:50
are you using an rns-e or symphany II?

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79191
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-contr-unit_282679.html
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-96829.html <- note especially the fourth post.

BenA
April 15th, 2009, 15:51
Thank you for the links... I think the last one will answer my questions... very helpful.
I have the Symphony with the old-school nav system - not the RNS-E. I have only had the car for a few days, but to the best of my searching, I can't find a tire pressure monitoring system, but I do see a brake wear indicator. Was tire pressure monitoring an option on the RS6?

snoopra
April 15th, 2009, 21:24
Thank you for the links... I think the last one will answer my questions... very helpful.
I have the Symphony with the old-school nav system - not the RNS-E. I have only had the car for a few days, but to the best of my searching, I can't find a tire pressure monitoring system, but I do see a brake wear indicator. Was tire pressure monitoring an option on the RS6?
US cars didn't get the TP option. I'm running the RNS-E but I don't think I need XM with my endless supply of tunes on the SD cards:)

hahnmgh63
April 15th, 2009, 21:48
The modules are interchangeable:

Satellite receiver module for this car (North American parts only):
�� 8E0 035 593/8E0 057 593 Sirius without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
�� 8E0 035 593 A/8E0 057 593 A XM without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
�� 8E0 035 593 D/8E0 057 593 D Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well
�� 8E0 035 593 E/8E0 057 593 E XM for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well

hahnmgh63
April 15th, 2009, 21:53
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5/Audi.BarryStuff.com._Audi_RS6_C5_Sirius_XM_Satelli te_Radio_DIY_Install.pdf

DuckWingDuck
April 16th, 2009, 02:02
I have a xm module that I don't want or need. Can I pull it out?

hahnmgh63
April 16th, 2009, 02:52
No adverse effects. Just unplug & unbolt it from its little hiding place in the trunk. It's on the left side of the trunk, right behind where the CD changer would be if you had one.

DuckWingDuck
April 16th, 2009, 15:21
ya, i guess i have one for sale if anybody wants it, haha. And ya, it's right by the GPS CD module right?