PDA

View Full Version : B8 S4

5000S old skool
May 4th, 2005, 13:52
Does anyone know if there will be any performance improvements in the B8 S4?? Because the B7 S4 can't even see the E90 M3 anymore... But thats why the B7 RS4 is here.

J0X
May 4th, 2005, 16:12
Whoa - B8? I don't even think it's in the concept stage?! The B7 got out like two months ago, no?

5000S old skool
May 5th, 2005, 01:04
well, now is a good time to start rumors!! :D :D :D :0:

kujo
May 5th, 2005, 06:17
Word around the campfire is:

2008MY
S4 with 360 or 380hp 4.2 FSI
(detuned RS4 motor)
DSG-7 speed

kj

5000S old skool
May 5th, 2005, 13:24
will it have a RWD based chassis??

kujo
May 5th, 2005, 15:27
All future S and RS models will have the 40/60 bias Torsen....

kj

5000S old skool
May 6th, 2005, 03:46
yes, but will the engine be behind the front axle??

kujo
May 6th, 2005, 04:12
We'll have to wait and see.....
Hopefully, the B8 will have better than a 60/40 balance.

AoA claims 53/47, but it's actually 60.4/39.7
(Car and Driver claims)

kj

nyrs6
May 13th, 2005, 05:38
Originally posted by J0X
Whoa - B8? I don't even think it's in the concept stage?! The B7 got out like two months ago, no?

Well the B7 is really not a whole new platform so its really a B6 with a facelift so its shouldnt really be called the B7.

Toto89
August 7th, 2005, 15:17
Well I don't want to argue with you but I think it won't be really good if the new B8 S4 and RS4 will get nearly the same engines as the previous ones,but it's my opinion.
But just see that before B8 S4-RS4 concepts every S4 got compeletly different engines and the RS4 modells got the same engines with bi-turbos or high hp/litre performance(like B7 RS4).(If somebody don't understand why I wrote this:some of you said and I also read it in some magazines that new B8 S4 will get 4.2 FSI~380hp,RS4~450hp)

Audihead
August 8th, 2005, 21:23
Originally posted by nyrs6
Well the B7 is really not a whole new platform so its really a B6 with a facelift so its shouldnt really be called the B7.

New motors, suspension bits, options, colors, bodies. Are you sure about this?

audi713
August 9th, 2005, 02:27
same car...... upgraded.....facelift

Iceman
August 9th, 2005, 10:34
In 2006 we will see the first 4.2 V8 FSI engines (360-380 hp) find there way in to production.(S4-S6-A8-Q7 and the new Allroad Quattro)
Audi's Q7 will be the first car with the 4.2 V8 FSI engine in it.

wfg, Hans.

Benman
August 9th, 2005, 16:22
Originally posted by audi713
same car...... upgraded.....facelift
Ditto. An improvement to the EXISTING platform. Not a new one.

Ben:addict:

tailpipe
August 9th, 2005, 20:04
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
yes, but will the engine be behind the front axle??

Yes, engine will be behind front axle, but it will still primarily be a front-wheel drive chassis not rear-wheel drive. Weight distribution will be dramatically improved over current B6/ B7 architacture, but still inferior to BMW 3-Series and new Lexus IS.

This shouldn't matter too much in the Quattro versions, which will get new rear biased torque split. First iteration of the new PL47 platform architecture is rumoured to be the production version of the Nuvolari concept car. To be badged either A4 or A5, it will slot in between the A4 and A6 ranges and be available in both coupe and convertible versions.

My mole within Audi says that there has been internal discussion about releasing it as an RS4/ RS5 with current 420 bhp engine and DSG. This has not been finalised. Should be presented during 2006 for launch in 2007.

Audihead
August 9th, 2005, 22:00
[i]
My mole within Audi says that there has been internal discussion about releasing it as an RS4/ RS5 with current 420 bhp engine and DSG. This has not been finalised. Should be presented during 2006 for launch in 2007. [/B]

Yea, if they can get this version out of the factory to the customers. Let's see. What does your mole say about this version of the RS4 getting U.S. within a resonable time?

tailpipe
August 10th, 2005, 11:59
I not only hear about delays in getting RS4s to USA but also change in specs due to Federal Regs. Audi is having a problem keeping up with demand right now. All of its products are proving extremely popular, especially high performance models. It doesn't want to increase volume by sacrifing quality, so ramping-up production takes time. More important for RS4 fans, quattro GmbH that builds it has only a limited capacity, therefore they are the main bottleneck to supply. Response to new RS4 sedan in European left-hand drive markets has been much greater than expected so it makes sense to prioritise these orders will before satisfying demand for RHD and US spec models.

I will find out more about A5/ A4 coupe at Frankfurt when I see them all. Until now, they've been so focused on the Q7 you could be forgiven for thinking that Audi makes no other model!

Audihead
August 10th, 2005, 19:09
Thank you Tailpipe! What specs are changing for the U.S. Regs? If you can't answer i understand. Cheers.

tailpipe
August 10th, 2005, 20:39
To be honest, I don't know what US specs are changing.

Minor changes may include different seats and wing mirrors. But I heard a nasty rumour that engine may have reduced power - to around 390 bhp - to meet EPA emission regulations.

Nordschleife
August 10th, 2005, 23:20
Originally posted by tailpipe
To be honest, I don't know what US specs are changing.

Minor changes may include different seats and wing mirrors. But I heard a nasty rumour that engine may have reduced power - to around 390 bhp - to meet EPA emission regulations.

I know you think I'm beating up on you but "to meet EPA emission regulations" is spin.
There are several reasons to reduce the quoted horsepower of the car:
1. most US gas is not only low in octane compared with what is available in much of Europe, but it is poor quality, which means that the engine gets hotter than it does on good fuel and that the FSI functionality does not work in the US.
2. a combination of the extra heat mentioned in 1 above plus the much hotter ambient conditions plus the long warranty period means that a reduction in horsepower is prudent.
3. The horsepower figure quoted in Europe is a different unit to that accepted in the English speaking world, but not that much smaller.

As far as the emissions go, an EU3 and and EU4 car will sail through the tough California CARB tests without 'touching the sides'. Even an EU2 car got through at 40% of allowable emissions a couple of years ago. Tuned cars (from Audi and the better tuners) tend to burn fuel more efficiently than the plain vanilla versions, which means that they pass with even more ease. So emissions get blamed for prudent risk management.

R+C

tailpipe
August 11th, 2005, 12:04
Thanks Nord,

As a marketing guy, I knew HP was being reduced but wasn't told what you just wrote.

Have you heard the 390 bhp figure as well? I hear this is the optimal output for US, although Audi Central Marketing wants to make sure it reaches 400 bhp for psychological reasons.

kujo
August 11th, 2005, 16:41
With the new SAE standard on HP in place, the RS4 will be one of the first Audis to meets it's new standards.

I've been told, by reliable sources, that the RS4, when arriving to the US will make 420 SAE HP.

It will not make less.

But, like anything else, I'll beleive it when I see it.

Nordschleife
August 11th, 2005, 18:57
Originally posted by kujo
With the new SAE standard on HP in place, the RS4 will be one of the first Audis to meets it's new standards.

I've been told, by reliable sources, that the RS4, when arriving to the US will make 420 SAE HP.

It will not make less.

But, like anything else, I'll beleive it when I see it.

Kujo
To do that the car will have to be MORE powerful than it is in Europe.
With somewhat lower octane (I know about the different measurement systems in Europe and US and have accounted for that), and less 'refined' gas, there are lots of practical reasons why the engine management has to be a little more conservative in the US car than in the European car. So if they make the US car more powerful than the EU one, somebody is having to work very hard.
Presently I am going through this with a BMW M3 drive train - same car (not a BMW) and BMW have supplied a US drive train (engine and gearbox) and an EU drive train, they are completely different in character. The torque curves are different, the SMG gearboxes are programmed differently, they might almost be two different models. Each being better in its designed environment but worse in the other one.
'Emissions' is customerspeak for 'technical reasons we don't think you need to hear about'.

R+C

Benman
August 11th, 2005, 19:19
Originally posted by Nordschleife
I know you think I'm beating up on you but "to meet EPA emission regulations" is spin. 'Emissions' is customerspeak for 'technical reasons we don't think you need to hear about'.
R+C

Or just call it "Newspeak".
:D

Ben:addict:

kujo
August 12th, 2005, 06:58
No worries, you ain't beating up on me.

More power....Exactly.....
That's one reason the US specs have been sooo hush hush.
Why, would they announce the Euro version and wait soooo long to give thier US customers, just the specs ?

We'll see.

Either way, I might be leaning towards an M5 if the RS will be 80K in the US.
Why not just spend 10 more K..... :D

At this point, I'm soooooooooo over all the speculation.

Just relaying what I heard from a few reliable sources.
One from the US and one from Germany.

kj

kujo
August 28th, 2005, 21:53
btw, that M5 comment was a joke... ;-)

:rs4addict: :incar: :s4addict: