PDA

View Full Version : Potential owner with questions

sublimaze
April 30th, 2005, 23:20
Hi guys, my first post.

I'm going to look at some RS6s this coming week and had a few questions:

1. When downshifting with the paddle shifters, does the engine automatically blip the throttle like the BMW SMG tranny?

2. Is it true that only certain Audi dealers can service an RS6, something about needing special equipment/computer (I forget where I read that, one of the Bimmer forums I think). I live in a rural area and the closest Audi dealer is a small one (I'm sure they've never had an RS6)

3. It seems that all the RS6s available are 2003 models. What's the deal with that? Are there 2004, 2005 models?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

nene
May 1st, 2005, 01:59
1. SMG is a clutchless manual car. It's really like a manual car without the third pedal. The paddle shifting in the RS6 is still connected to an automatic transmission, so all the goodies that come with that apply. The blip of the throttle does not occur in the RS6 as far as I'm concerned. Not sure what it is like on the SMG either, thus I can't compare it quite well.

2. Only certain Audi dealerships were certified. You should check with AoA if possible where is the closest RS6 certified shop to your area.

3. The RS6 only came to the USA as a 2003 model. It does not pass emissions for 2004 and beyond, thus can't be sold as such, or imported past that time. The arrival just kept getting delayed, but keep in mind that we usually see these kinds of Audi vehicles 6-12 months after they are offered in Europe.

Most importantly, welcome to the board whether you get the RS6 or not. We hope you do though.

sublimaze
May 1st, 2005, 04:32
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that only certain dealerships were able to service RS6s. I looked on Audiusa website and the closest rs6 certified dealer is ~ 140 miles away. I'm bummed!!

Do you guys think that's too far away?

audirs6sport
May 1st, 2005, 08:04
Originally posted by sublimaze
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that only certain dealerships were able to service RS6s. I looked on Audiusa website and the closest rs6 certified dealer is ~ 140 miles away. I'm bummed!!

Do you guys think that's too far away?

Nope. Choppo bought his from Egypt. =)

DaveyKid
May 1st, 2005, 10:55
You'll love the 140 mi. drive each time you have to take it in!

Aronis
May 1st, 2005, 13:37
If you have no problems with the car and can do some of the service yourself you can save that drive.

My closest dealer is 4.5 hours away and I had the 15000 mile service done.

The oil changes I do every 5000 miles myself....don't care about that recommended 10000....oil is plenty dirty each time, synthetic or not!

Anyway, the oil is about $11.00 per liter and it takes 7.5 liters per oil change. The filter is a smaller one then on the 4.2 V8. (I just through away 6 that I had purchased for my 4.2 LOL).

You have to take the front torsion bar off to get the oil filter out, so use ramps, low profile ones.

When you need the BIG services, plan a shopping trip, since it sounds like you are like me, living in a convience free zone in the middle of nowhere. My problem is I am unable to leave town that often since I am oncall everyother day, weekend, holiday, etc. and I have a 3 month old, travels is a bitch.

You will love the car. Service as needed, but enjoy the car.

Mike

Aronis
May 1st, 2005, 13:38
Oh, I forgot,

140 miles in an RS6, is only ONE HOUR each way!

Mike

sublimaze
May 1st, 2005, 15:54
I'm still planning on taking some test drives this week (even if I don't get one, I figure it will be a fun thing to do on my week off).

I'm not so concerned about driving the 140 miles for routine maintenance (any reason to drive the rs6 on the highway seems good:MTM:

I guess my real reason for asking if the 140 mi was too far was if the car was undrivable. Does the roadside assistance cover this? Usually they just take you to the nearest Audi dealer. In the case of the rs6, would the "nearest dealer" be considered the certified dealer?

Thanks

choppo
May 1st, 2005, 16:10
Hey , I went clear across the US to save 10K and love it now that I got it.
Now there are a couple of dealers here where I live and there Rs6 certified but the funny thing they tell me is ,
If the tech is trained to work on the 4.2 he is able to do certified work on RS6.
Now in the beginning when I got this car I was told that only 1 tech could do it there now they tell me any 4.2 tech can.
Bad thing is there are 2 dealers near me and one is worse than the plague ( No Names ) and I try not to go there and the other is very accomadating and so far have been very good to me even though I did not even buy it from them in roswell, ga.
And yes this is a certified delaership I am talking about via AOA.
Ps
and IMO, I have bought and owned over 40 cars and the whole deal of a tech especialy for one car ( Only he can do it right supposedly ) in a dealership goes out the door as soon as you do if needed.
Your kidding your self if you think otherwise its all relative to the situation @ hand !!
Dealerships do whats nessasary just like the rest of us.