PDA

View Full Version : Airbox

audirs6sport
April 28th, 2005, 09:51
Anyone else noticed the poor fitting/design around where the right side maf sensor plug is located? I've removed the airbox several times and noticed that it gets smudged in everytime. Wondering if everyone else's is the same way.

DaveyKid
May 1st, 2005, 12:03
I took off my CF engine trim the other day to check on the condition of my air filters (see if they were clean) and discovered BOTH the metal mesh screens that are supposed to sit in the airbox tube had become dislodged and just sitting under the air filters. I believe they are designed to prevent larger objects from making their way up to the air filters. At any rate, the tech must have reinstalled them on the "inside" of the safety notches found on the inside of the airbox tube, as opposed to the outside, thus allowing them to be sucked in on WOT.

Doubt there was any damage, but irritating to say the least.

audirs6sport
May 1st, 2005, 12:11
Originally posted by DaveyKid
I took off my CF engine trim the other day to check on the condition of my air filters (see if they were clean) and discovered BOTH the metal mesh screens that are supposed to sit in the airbox tube had become dislodged and just sitting under the air filters. I believe they are designed to prevent larger objects from making their way up to the air filters. At any rate, the tech must have reinstalled them on the "inside" of the safety notches found on the inside of the airbox tube, as opposed to the outside, thus allowing them to be sucked in on WOT.

Doubt there was any damage, but irritating to say the least.

Yes those are called "prefilters" which I've removed on mine. I got a pair of K&N filters which I think they are plenty enough for filtering purpose. Just to begin with, the design of the cold air flow source plumbing is a very tight fit and it almost seems like it's breathing through a straw!!! You can just grab those out of there if you don't mind. Doesn't really do much in my opinion.

DaveyKid
May 1st, 2005, 12:43
But what about rodents and/or birds finding there way into a nice warm area in the winter up here? The only thing separating them from the air filters is that mesh.

audirs6sport
May 2nd, 2005, 09:48
hmm... I just don't see how a bird or rodent would end up in there, the initial portion of the air flow vent space is REALLY tight. I just can't think of a bird or rodents that's small enough to fit in there... :)