PDA

View Full Version : New Summer Tires??

incognito
April 26th, 2005, 02:53
After having two bad incidents with the Pirelli PZero Rosso Direzionale, I am getting new summer tires... Was looking forward to any of your opinions/suggestions...I'm thinking about getting the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=54YR8SPORTPS2XL&fromCompare1=yes

nene
April 26th, 2005, 03:30
I'm partial to the regular Pilot Sports.

DaveyKid
April 26th, 2005, 03:58
Had enough of the Pirellis. Put the PS2's on about 2 weeks ago and so far they are awesome.

Finnus
April 26th, 2005, 13:05
After having two bad incidents with the Pirelli PZero Rosso

What were the bad incidents?

Finnus
:addict:

Benman
April 26th, 2005, 16:03
Originally posted by Finnus
What were the bad incidents?

Finnus
:addict:
Yes, curious. I've even had my P Zeros at the track. In rain, snow, canyon carving, no issues?

What was your incident?

Ben:addict:

JAXRS6
April 26th, 2005, 19:20
Make that at least three of us who are curious. I'm on my second set of P Zeros, no problems except that the assymetric version I have now seems to have slightly less grip than the tires that came with the car. I have driven fast but never tracked the car.

PeterH
April 26th, 2005, 23:24
Do the PS2's have the 99Y load rating? I know the standard Pilot Sports do, but didnt think the PS2's had the Audi "heavy load" rating yet. Had a set of Pilot Sports on my old S4 and loved them!

iconcls
April 27th, 2005, 00:34
Originally posted by PeterH
Do the PS2's have the 99Y load rating?

Yes, they now make a 99 load rating PS2 in the stock size.

gjg
April 27th, 2005, 06:07
Make that at least four of us who are curious...

Originally posted by JAXRS6
I'm on my second set of P Zeros, no problems except that the assymetric version I have now seems to have slightly less grip than the tires that came with the car.

what is the difference in marking/designation between previous and current P Zero ? :idea:

JAXRS6
April 27th, 2005, 06:43
Originally posted by gjg
what is the difference in marking/designation between previous and current P Zero ? :idea:

At the time I bought my second set last summer/fall, both were available. Best way to describe the difference in layman's terms is that my 2nd set has an assymetrical scalloped pattern near the center, about 1" per scallop, which was absent in the OEM Pirellis.

I just went for a ride in heavy rain & traction was fine, so the wet traction difference is not very significant (if there's a difference at all). :incar:First set lasted 24K mi; this set has 13K mi & plenty of tread left.

For more details you can contact my knowlegeable & friendly salesman, luke@tirerack.com

gjg
April 27th, 2005, 11:13
ok, I will check - there are two with the same tread and $20 price difference in 19" ....

Noisy?

JAXRS6
April 27th, 2005, 16:38
Originally posted by gjg
Noisy?

Nope :D

Context: In my opinion ALL summer or performance tires are noisier than all season tires. And all tires are noisy on some surfaces, e.g. concrete with a rough texture. But, no, they are not noisy when compared to other performance tires. If they were I would have rejected them as a choice for my second set. On smooth asphalt I don't really hear them at all.

incognito
April 27th, 2005, 16:48
i had the direzionale (the oem tires) or some shit like that..... first off these p-zeros are too soft, their compound isnt durable for shit and wears easily...
The first problem I encountered was a bubble on the sidewall of my tire, i figured the other 3 tires werent that badddd so i just purchased one tire... After driving on the new tire for about ummmm maybe 2 weeks or 3, i hit a pot hole (pretty big) and the brand new tire popped... If you ask me, I never really liked p-zeros, they have always been a well known name and thats about it, its not like their grip isnt good (its up their in the ladder with handling) its just that their compound is probably the softest and after 20,000 miles, the tires are basically gone...
I do have three 255/40 18in Pirelli PZero Rosso Direzionale Tires incase anyone needs a tire or wants to put them on their tricycle let me know...I can take pictures so you guys can see the amount of trend left...
.....SO I GUESS ITS THE PILOT SPORT 2's..... ??????

Benman
April 27th, 2005, 17:24
Originally posted by JAXRS6
In my opinion ALL summer or performance tires are noisier than all season tires. And all tires are noisy on some surfaces, e.g. concrete with a rough texture. But, no, they are not noisy when compared to other performance tires. If they were I would have rejected them as a choice for my second set. On smooth asphalt I don't really hear them at all.
I agree with this one. I now have the PS Ones and will be going back to P Zeros once these wear as I don't feel the Mich. offer any advantage in grip, wear, or noise over the P Zeros.

incognito,

You state that the PZeros "insn't durable for s**t" yet you say they lasted you 20,000 miles?:vhmmm: Jax has the all time record of @23,000 miles on his first set. For Ultra High Performance summer tires, 20,000 miles is pretty good. IMHO, you will be VERY hard pressed to beat that with ANY Hi Po Summer tire!

You also state, " i hit a pot hole (pretty big) and the brand new tire popped... ". How does that reflect a quality issue?:vhmmm: Would not the same thing likely happen with the PS2?:vhmmm: Afterall, you even admit the pothole was "pretty big".

The bubble developing on the sidewall is a legitemate complaint and would be a warranty issue. Other than that, the seem like they were pretty good.

JAXRS6
April 27th, 2005, 17:34
For the record, I would have considered PS2s if they were available when I bought my second set. They were not, at least not with the "Heavy Load" or "Extra Load" designation recommended by AOA.

The original Pilot Sports were available for the RS6 then, but I rejected them in favor of the Pirellis for reasons cited by Benman. I believe there was a second member here who posted a finding similar to his but I'm not 100% certain.

One thing I learned from my 2000 S4 is that good & bad tires are available within the same brand. The Bridgestones that came with the car sucked, including a bubble on the inside wall (which could not be seen by casual observation & likely would have become a blowout if I hadn't seen it during a switch to snow tires). But my next set of rubber also was Bridgestone, i.e. S03s, and they were excellent: better handling/turn-in, better traction, long lasting (for performance tires), no bubbles.

Don't bubbles often result from hitting a large pothole or other obstacle that's big, hard and stationary? If so, as a safety precaution maybe we should check the the outside AND INBOARD sidewall(s) after each such incident, to make sure there's not a bubble threatening to blow.:eye:

Aronis
April 27th, 2005, 18:03
Tire Noise.

I have found that the tires I have are quite noisy, and they only have about 10,000 miles on them if that!

My prior Audi A6 had the same noise issue, that car had the Pirelli's.

My snows are quieter! Pirelli Winter 240.

My M3 had two sets of Michellin tires PS and PSII and I never had that noise issue.

I think the AWD has something to do with it. The noise is there, but when compared to road noise in my wifes Nissan Maxima, the RS6 is not that bad! The car itself is much more quiet than other cars, so the tire noise kind of evens things out!

Mike

incognito
April 27th, 2005, 21:07
Benman......I dont know where you're coming from but like I said, i had no dislikes when i first had the tires. They were good in dry and wet. Snow was a different story. A difference in tires is probably a mph or 2... Who is looking for that... My brother had the Mich PS1 on his c32amg and they were very, i mean very nice...handled with the s4 no problem.. well off to work...

Benman
April 27th, 2005, 22:03
Originally posted by incognito
Benman......I dont know where you're coming from but like I said, i had no dislikes when i first had the tires.
Well, I'm not a Pirelli sales guy if that's what you'd like to know.:D

The PS2s will probably be fine. Just don't expect them to last 20,000 miles and don't expect them not to have "issues" if you hit "pretty big" potholes.

jim kelly
May 3rd, 2005, 05:41
19" euro rims fitted to all ozzie delivered RS6 except 1 (by mistake?).
Mine has PZero Rossos and I too, like incoggie, have had asingle wall bubble. Naturally Pirellis said not faulty(surprise surprise).
Ozzie roads ain't as good as uncle sam's and my tires almost stuffed at 14,500Km!
Michelies for me in future baby!

incognito
May 7th, 2005, 06:53
ur best choices would be mich. or if you want something a little cheaper the bridgestone potenza i believe...and of course, pirelli's aren't that bad...

JAXRS6
May 7th, 2005, 09:20
Originally posted by incognito
if you want something a little cheaper the bridgestone potenza i believe

Bridgestone Potenza S03s were terrific on my 2000 S4, but other Bridgestone Potenzas -- like the ones that came with the car -- were subpar. Problem with the RS6 is that unless availabilities have changed in recent months, the S03s are not made in a size for the US market that fits the RS6 with the "Heavy Load" designation recommended by AOA.

Benman
May 9th, 2005, 15:36
Since my last post, I attended a large Audi drive this past weekend. I taked to several people there in regards to how they liked their PS2s. Now, going by what they said (since I've yet to try them) they all LOVED them. They said, hands down, they are the best Hi Po tires they'd had to date. One mentioned that he said they wear a little faster and on another car (Robert with a modded A6 2.7 T) I noticed a LOT of wear (only 5K miles).

That said, if you don't mind a little faster wear rate (they wear a whole lot faster than the PS Ones) than everybody is saying these are the BEST Hi Po Summer Tires $$$ can buy. (guess that means better than Pirellis:D )