PDA

View Full Version : New tranny program via port (no chip)

JAXRS6
April 22nd, 2005, 00:57
At a VW/Audi meet last weekend, a rep for a performace programmer claimed they'll soon have performance programming for the RS6 that is applied by port (no physical chip change) to not only the engine, but the tranny too. When I mentioned this to a rep for another performance programmer, he doubted it's possible, saying, "don't you think if that could be done right, we'd be doing it?"

But that's not really an answer. And I don't want to reveal who these companies are because, for now, I'm hoping to hear from folks who might know whether such an approach could work. I will reveal the brands later but don't want to start off with a pissing match over which brands have been better in the past, as sometimes happens here.

:trash:

What say you?

DaveyKid
April 22nd, 2005, 01:09
I'll tell you a little story.....

DaveyKid
April 22nd, 2005, 03:46
:D

nyrs6
April 22nd, 2005, 19:18
Doesnt GIAC have a program like that for the RS6?:confused:

DaveyKid
April 22nd, 2005, 21:24
Was that time in your sig the best you posted after your mods?

JAXRS6
April 22nd, 2005, 22:52
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nyrs6
Doesnt GIAC have a program like that for the RS6?:confused: [/QUOTE

No. In fact they were the ones responding to the stealth of port installation by the other brand, for the tranny. Both have stealth via port for the ECM, but only one has it for the tranny & it's not GIAC by their own admission.

nyrs6
April 22nd, 2005, 23:21
Originally posted by DaveyKid
Was that time in your sig the best you posted after your mods?

That time is just chip (no Tip chip) and cat back exhaust, no Downpipes.

nyrs6
April 22nd, 2005, 23:23
Originally posted by JAXRS6
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nyrs6
Doesnt GIAC have a program like that for the RS6?:confused: [/QUOTE

No. In fact they were the ones responding to the stealth of port installation by the other brand, for the tranny. Both have stealth via port for the ECM, but only one has it for the tranny & it's not GIAC by their own admission.

Why is The Tranny ECM different then the regular one? Is it harder to do port installation?

nene
April 22nd, 2005, 23:25
I like the following: I'll believe it when I see it!

JAXRS6
April 23rd, 2005, 00:18
Originally posted by nyrs6
Why is The Tranny ECM different then the regular one? Is it harder to do port installation?

That's close to the question I'm trying to get answered here. I assume the answer is yes, it's harder to do for the tranny; if it wasn't, seems like everyone would be offering it. But I don't know WHY the (apparent) answer is yes. Can someone address that?

choppo
April 23rd, 2005, 00:29
I have been talking to "revo" by email/phone and they say that within a few weeks they will have there software updated for the RS6 and will be able to flash Trans ECU.

Now only time will tell if they do but for now Revo did pull there software off the mkt.

Thats just what they said to me :)

JAXRS6
April 23rd, 2005, 14:44
Originally posted by choppo
I have been talking to "revo" by email/phone and they say that within a few weeks they will have there software updated for the RS6 and will be able to flash Trans ECU.

Now only time will tell if they do but for now Revo did pull there software off the mkt.

Thats just what they said to me :)

Bingo!:thumb: That's what Revo said to me, too, which prompted this thread. I hadn't heard that they pulled their current software off the market, but they did say the tranny-by-port approach would be introduced April 25.

Still hoping someone will address the feasibility of this. GIAC's "Don't-you-think-we'd-be-doing-this-if-we-could" reply in the opening post doesn't answer the feasibility question, but it does raise a legitimate issue: How is Revo able to bring this out when no other chip maker has even discussed the issue? (to my knowledge at least)

DaveyKid
April 23rd, 2005, 15:53
Well kept secret with Revo.

choppo
April 23rd, 2005, 16:13
Yeah he said that he would contact me as soon as it was ready for sale.
He also wants me to try there free 5 hour software and give my opinion as a consumer :)
If I try it , I will post what happens

Bingo eh :)
I am surfing continously on rs6 knowledge

Yeah they pulled it 3 weeks ago they said and probably rerelease in next month early.
price will be same to @ $899.00
don't know about you but for the price and 5 free hours , it might be worth checking out Jax we can compare our findings if you want
price seems to be right if product is right and verified and tested.
They got a rs6 motor in 3 days ago and are testing new software on it they told me too.

Silversleepa
May 6th, 2005, 21:40
Gang... been following other threads re: mods...most complain of tranny (potential) problems with any mod that increases engine output...considering that the trans is from/modelled for the A8 12 cycl output levels, do A8 owners complain about their trannys?:confused:

Nordschleife
May 8th, 2005, 22:59
Originally posted by Silversleepa
considering that the trans is from/modelled for the A8 12 cycl output levels, do A8 owners complain about their trannys?:confused:

you will find that the A8 has a 6 speed transmission, the RS6 has a 5 speed transmission.

Silversleepa
May 9th, 2005, 18:14
If its a case of "less stress per gear," 6 on A8 versus 5 on RS6, I can kind of buy the argument..the issue at hand is the hardware stress...can (should, rather) the RS6 be chipped at all if the hardware can't/wasnt made to handle the higher output created by downpipes, catbacks, hyperboost, chips...I see people beating up each others software set up but no one has made mention (or complained/sent "hate threads") about the various hardware configs..just curious is all....I had my A4 3.0 outfitted with Miltek exhaust and the "butt-o-meter" says that 3rd gear pulled slightly harder (of course, the increased growl may have added some "speed" to the butt-o-meter reading...)..what do you think is the critical issue re: mods and in this case, the tranny...?

:vhmmm:

JAXRS6
May 9th, 2005, 18:26
Originally posted by Silversleepa
can (should, rather) the RS6 be chipped at all if the hardware can't/wasnt made to handle the higher output created by downpipes, catbacks, hyperboost, chips

That IS the $64,000 question!:stick: Well, maybe closer to $6,400...but there has been some posting on this; you just have to dig deep. It was probably late 03 or early 04, when someone posted figures on the tranny's torque tolerance potential. It might have been The Brit, who no longer has an RS6, but I'm not sure. Topic may have been chips, since they tend to add more torque than other mods.

The tranny is the car's weak link IMO and helpful data should be there if you take time to dig deep. Good luck:thumb:

Silversleepa
May 9th, 2005, 18:52
Ha!!! LMAO!!!:D like the smiley with the shifter!!!....if what you say is true re: the tranny, thats the look you get at around 150mph when stick and speed go in opposite directions..(maybe if I just pump her into 5th a little harder she'll come back to life...)

Hello AoA, yeah,well, here's the deal....my cars tranny was attacked by a...'click' hello? helloooo? you still there...? can you hear me now?...bueller?

have a good one...

:addict: