PDA

View Full Version : BUGATTI sports car or dragster ?

RAMMIUS
April 20th, 2005, 07:57
I`ve read an article about Veyron , and found about the car`s final spec`s.

So the gearbox it`s 120 kg with another 10 litres of oil , the engine approx 500 kg :confused: , the car will carry 100 litres of water for cooling and lubricant , and I think without fuel it will weigh in 1950 kg. :cry:

Maybe the accelaration will be awesome but Veyron certainly won`t be able to compete will slick , light and most important RWD supercars.

Do you think it`s good , practical supercar , or not ?

RS4Ever
April 20th, 2005, 09:15
its a nice experiment that looks very nice and distinguishable

its very rare and will make those who have money for wanting one happy, IMHO

btw, the S4 :s4addict: (B6,B7 - well let me just say the 4.2 used in the audi line-up) V8 holds 11.3 quarts = 10.7 liters

100 liters of water... :trash: that is crazy :bigeyes:

RAMMIUS
April 20th, 2005, 10:08
I know that 100 litres it`s crazy , but i`ve read an article where if i`am not wrong an engineer from McLaren said it`s plain stupid to have in a car a 1000 bhp engine because it`s a nightmare to cool it down .

For the acc they say

0-100 km/h 2.9 sec
0-300 km/h 17 sec

The maximum speed will be available with some special settings made by the enginners from Bugatti .

I think that the ''practical speed '' would be around 370 km/h , and that`s more than enough .

clam
April 21st, 2005, 12:37
The torque/power should compensate for the weight.

Since the grip of a tyre is proportional to the weight on it, the weight of the Veryon should not affect it's dynamic abilities.
All thing being equal, a heavy car will have the same cornering speed as a light car. Sometimes even better, b/c it's hard to design a tyre for a light car. The Lotus Elise needed its own special tyre b/c of its low weight, and the McLaren F1 performed a very bad 0.86g on the skidpad.
The advantage of being lightweight is purely a matter of acceleration, which won't be a problem for the Veyron I suspect.

AWD/4WD is an advantage in conditions where you need every last bit of grip from the tyres. These are:
- slippery road (rally)
- accelerating through a corner (quattro on circuit)
- high torque/power application (Veyron)
The control is less direct than RWD (no independent control of the rear slip angle with throttle), but a good driver will be able to make an AWD/4WD go faster than RWD, if the conditions require a lot of grip.

The pay-off is in fuel consumption, tyre wear, reliability, and $$$.
It more economical to go with lightweight chassis and small engine, instead of heavy and big engine. But they are a match performance-wise.

dejan
April 21st, 2005, 13:02
Originally posted by RAMMIUS
I know that 100 litres it`s crazy , but i`ve read an article where if i`am not wrong an engineer from McLaren said it`s plain stupid to have in a car a 1000 bhp engine because it`s a nightmare to cool it down .

For the acc they say

0-100 km/h 2.9 sec
0-300 km/h 17 sec

The maximum speed will be available with some special settings made by the enginners from Bugatti .

I think that the ''practical speed '' would be around 370 km/h , and that`s more than enough .

0-300km/h will do in 14 SEC

Erik
April 21st, 2005, 13:04
Does practial supercars exist? :vhmmm:

espen
April 22nd, 2005, 09:54
Actually, I think MacLaren should save whatever shreds of dignity they have left and stop whining every time someone creates something that challenges the hallowed F1. I laughed when Mr Koenigsegg calmly explained to Mr Murray in the readers colomn in evo magazine why a car with more power and less drag is likeliy to go faster than the F1. kindly, he even refrained from mentioning that driving the F1 at these speeds is no walk in the park, with even the hugley talented Wallace complining of instability.

Consider the awesome performance of the 500hp SL55 AMG - at 1880kgs its hardly a lightweight, but I drove one this weekend and boy is it fast, massive thrust, forgiving to drive hard, strong brakes and did I mention that it's pretty fast?

Now. Imagine the same car with more power and 4wd. Surely it would not be slower - nor will a 4wd at the same weight make it any less capable in the corners. Strangely, this is right in the ballpark of the Veyron...

Edit: I'd just like to share å picture. The SL turned out to be quite a handful with all electronic aids swithced off... (luckily it just slid along the grass - not a mark on the car!)

http://www.evo.no/images/eikaas2005/sl500amg.jpg

RS4Ever
April 22nd, 2005, 15:54
Originally posted by espen
500hp SL55 AMG -

:music: i could listen to the sound of that beast all day.

Benman
April 22nd, 2005, 15:59
Originally posted by espen
Actually, I think MacLaren should save whatever shreds of dignity they have left and stop whining every time someone creates something that challenges the hallowed F1. I laughed when Mr Koenigsegg calmly explained to Mr Murray in the readers colomn in evo magazine why a car with more power and less drag is likeliy to go faster than the F1. kindly, he even refrained from mentioning that driving the F1 at these speeds is no walk in the park, with even the hugley talented Wallace complining of instability.

I remember reading that same article. I had a smile on my face as well!:D

It's almost as if "well, it might be faster but it WON'T be better!!:cry: :cry: WAAHHH!!!:cry: :cry: We're still the best I say!!!:cry: The BEST!!!:cry: "

:harass:

Ben:addict:

5000S old skool
April 26th, 2005, 03:42
Originally posted by RAMMIUS
Do you think it`s good , practical supercar , or not ?

Well, if one looks at Bugatti's history, they have never really made cars that made sense. If I'm right, I do think they once made a car which used a train engine. I don't think they really want to be an Enzo or a McLaren around a track... they just want to make something so crazy and out of this world that no one could imagine..