PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive. Audi S6 V10 on Nürburgring

Erik
April 11th, 2005, 20:30
So I spent one day at Nürburgring, at the industrial day when car manufacturers test their cars. I brought my camera to see if there were any interesting cars to shoot.

I see an Audi A6 that looks ordinary, but sounds very special.
The track was full of V10 cars. M6, Gallardos and...the Audi S6.

I manage to get a fist look at it and note the exhaust had quad-pipes.

Beware. The car might look like an ordinary Audi A6, but the sound is amazing. Sounds just like the BMW M5 :revs:

I also managed to see the Q7 and many other interesting cars.

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-8.jpg

Note the exhaust.

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-6.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-7.jpg

Audi S6 V10, BMW Z4 M Roadster and Porsche 911.

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-5.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-4.jpg

The Audi S6 overtakes the Z4 M Roadster

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-3.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-1.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-2.jpg

Another Audi S6. Note the plastic in the front. Is this a cover for the radar as used by Mercedes on the E55?

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-10.jpg

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/S6-9.jpg

Unknown Audi A6 going hard into Brünnchen

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/A6.jpg

I will post more pictures in different threads.

Erik
April 11th, 2005, 20:47
Link to the Audi Q7 here. (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=44678#post44678)

JAXRS6
April 11th, 2005, 20:52
:incar: :incar: Nice!:D Thanks!:applause:

Erik
April 11th, 2005, 20:54
Thanks! All others who like this please tell me because the pictures didn't come too easy. :p
I ruined at least one pair of shoes. :eek:

:addict:

rheudabaga
April 11th, 2005, 22:51
makes the decision to hold off on the RS4 a little easier. give us more!:applause:

Iceman
April 11th, 2005, 23:07
Mine insite information say that de new Audi S6 will have the same 4.2 V8 FSI engine as the RS4.
The story is that the 4.2 V8 FSI (RS4) sound by 8250 rpm almost like a V10.

wfg, Hans.

5000S old skool
April 12th, 2005, 01:28
i could beleive the S6 could be a V10... that would mean the RS6 will be V10 Bi-Turbo!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

RS4Ever
April 12th, 2005, 03:19
wow Erik.. :alig: you tha man!

more than awsome pics!! i love the look - and i wish i was there to hear the sound.

there seems to be a different setup for the front lower spoiler than the original C6 A6- looks more aggressive already!

oh man, what a way to boost the adrenaline.

thanks for the effort taken of the great pics! :cool2:

Rrrrr...
April 12th, 2005, 03:36
OH WOW!!!

At first glance... A8!?!?! Because of the wheels

amazing pics!

Thanks for sacrificing that shoe!! :D

is the S6 going to reach north america? anytime soon?

Erik
April 12th, 2005, 08:31
Originally posted by Iceman

Point taken.

But it really sounded like a V10.

We'll see.

Benman
April 12th, 2005, 17:12
Thanks for the "spy" pics Erik.:0:

It would be nice to see the S6 as a V10. Guess we won't know till closer to launch time (Audi doesn't want to take the thunder away from the RS 4 launch (that would be silly).

Either way, should be a nice ride.

Ben:addict:

QuattroFun
April 12th, 2005, 17:32
Superb, Erik - many thanks!

Now we just have to wait and see if it is a 4.2 V8 FSI or 5.2 V10 (FSI). As an other earlier post on this forum said, it is likely to be tiptronic only (specced as 420PS Tip in 1. half 2006). I know with a fairly high degree of certainty that the original plans back in 2001-2002 were for the new then forthcoming S6 to be a V10 - but I strongly suspect weight and handling issues favour a V8. Sport Auto says the new V8 FSI in the RS4 tips the scale at 208kg vs. 195kg for V8 in S4 and some 240kg for the V10 in M5 so a V10 FSI could well be 240-250kg making the car more nose heavy. But the Tiptronic in a heavy car may not get the best out of a high revving V8 (only 430Nm...) so the V10 may be the case after all...

Aronis
April 12th, 2005, 19:24
Too bad they would not pop the hood for you to snap a few of the engine!
Great pics.....

I think you scooped all the major car mags......

Mike

Aronis
April 12th, 2005, 19:27
what, no sun roof?
no rear sun shades?
oh no.....

lol

mike

tailpipe
April 13th, 2005, 20:16
Eric,

Excellent pictures! Well spotted.

V-10 for sure. I believe that both naturally aspirated engines and bi-turbos are being tested. Someone very, very senior at Audi says that they're getting 600 bhp with no problem.

If you go again, try and take a picture of the inside of the car, because they are also testing a new DSG for longitudinally-mounted engines and it looks different from current autobox set-up.

Next Rs6 is going to be a monster. No doubts.

nene
April 13th, 2005, 20:46
Great work Erik. Keep it coming.

tailpipe
April 13th, 2005, 21:08
Eric,

Excellent pictures! Well spotted.

V-10 for sure. I believe that both naturally aspirated engines and bi-turbos are being tested. Someone very, very senior at Audi says that they're getting 600 bhp with no problem.

If you go again, try and take a picture of the inside of the car, because they are also testing a new DSG for longitudinally-mounted engines and it looks different from current autobox set-up.

Next Rs6 is going to be a monster. No doubts.

360M
April 14th, 2005, 00:06
Must be nice to just head over to the 'ring on any given day.

Nice job, Erik. Let's hope an FSI V10 comes true. :incar:

Iceman
April 14th, 2005, 02:16
Originally posted by tailpipe
Eric, V-10 for sure.
Yes for the RS6 sure, but not for the S6 that will have a ± 400 bhp Audi RS4 4.2 V8 FSI engine.

wfg, Hans.

tailpipe
April 14th, 2005, 11:03
Iceman/ Hans,

I know the S6 gets a 4.2 litre V8 with FSI but will it be the 380 bhp version or the 420 bhp version?

If it is the 420 bhp from the RS4 there will be quite a lot of overlap between the two cars. I know the A6-series is heavier than the A4-series but an S6 with that engine would still be extremely quick. As I think I said elsewhere on the forum, add the A6's air suspension, factor in the better cabin ambiance and ergonomics and making a choice between the two cars becomes difficult.

I understand that Audi may put in the 380 bhp version of the engine to reduce overlap between the two cars, but don't know for sure.

The engine I'd like to see in the A6 is the 4.0 litre TDI diesel previewed in the A6-Allroad at Detroit. Effortless acceleration and power: yes. Frequent stops for gas: no. This is a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

Whatever Audi do with the S6, there is no doubt in my mind that the RS4 is an extremely desirable machine. Its appeal will not diminish when the S6 arrives.

Iceman
April 14th, 2005, 15:37
Iceman/ Hans,

I know the S6 gets a 4.2 litre V8 with FSI but will it be the 380 bhp version or the 420 bhp version?
I don't think the 420 bhp version but problebly a 380-400 bhp version.

wfg, Hans.

clam
April 15th, 2005, 10:48
It will probably be tuned for Torque, so it probably will have a different valve timing, and won't go up to 8250rpm like the RS4.

Since the 4.2 has the old S6 engine, the new S6 should have the old RS6 engine, IMO. Tuned at ±400hp, it should offer a healthy torque curve. Otherwise, using the n/a V8, the S6 will be a little low on torque, versus the competition.
4.2: 420Nm
RS4 engine: 430Nm (FSI)
M5: 520Nm
XJR: 553Nm
E55: 700Nm
An n/a S6 will be eaten alive, once again.

It would also make marketing sense. A turbocharged S6 can distance itself from the regular 4.2, and justify the higher pricetag.
I echo the call for the 4.0TDI: 650Nm

Silversleepa
April 18th, 2005, 04:55
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik

Erik...fantastic pictures!!! thanks for sharing!!! when I review the pics..the BMer is way too shallow and heading for offroad country... I also see him looking to bail left...(at this point, I'm sure the 911 is praying to God the Roadster doesn't have a case of NASCAR and decide that only turning left is a good thing...) In fact, you can see the grass start flying in one of your shots!! after the A6 slips past..he's thinking...

"Never follow.."

Ha! Ha!...again, great pics!!:D

Nordschleife
April 18th, 2005, 07:25
Originally posted by Silversleepa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik

.....when I review the pics..the BMer is way too shallow and heading for offroad country... I also see him looking to bail left...(at this point, I'm sure the 911 is praying to God the Roadster doesn't have a case of NASCAR and decide that only turning left is a good thing...) In fact, you can see the grass start flying in one of your shots

....er not, exactly

what you don't know is that the circuit was closed when these pictures were taken. All the drivers are "Industry Pool Drivers". That is they are trained and certified engineers / test drivers employed by the manufacturers to test cars on the Nordschleife. The guys know each other, work together on a daily basis and do whatever the manufacturer's project engineers require. Cars are not "way too shallow", the car is there for a reason, it may be on a sighting lap, cooling down, travelling slowly to dump a complete set of telemetry data to the engineers, getting out of the way of somebody on "a schedule", as they say when a car is doing its high speed durability testing.

It can be interesting to watch the differences in style, the Japanese tend to look like they are going to the moon whilst the Germans are much more laid back and casual.

R+C

Silversleepa
April 18th, 2005, 20:50
Interesting to see the audi "team" not wearing helmets during the run...:addict: thanks for the insight...

Erik
April 20th, 2005, 20:52
The Z4 Roadster was driving very fast and spectacular all day.

For some reason he got some problems with the car at this moment and indicated others to overtake him.

The problems seem to have been for that moment only, becasue he continued driving.

Erik
April 20th, 2005, 20:56
Originally posted by Nordschleife
It can be interesting to watch the differences in style, the Japanese tend to look like they are going to the moon whilst the Germans are much more laid back and casual.

Yes, I have zoomed in on a few of my pics to watch the drivers.

Some have helmets and full race gear while others do the Stephan Rosner (RUF Yellowbird) with jeans and t-shirt.

Hy Octane
April 21st, 2005, 00:42
Everything I have seen shows the new S6 as being a 400hp N/A v8 and the RS6 a 500 hp twin turbo v8.. All sources seem to agre that the V-10 is too large to fit..

RS4Ever
April 23rd, 2005, 07:50
all i can say is that this is a pretty strong statement:bigeyes:....

"Expected to wear the RS6 tag "

we may have to change the topic title.

Article - click me (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News_Article.asp?NA_ID=214769)

"This is Audi’s long-rumoured V10-engined A6, according to our spies in Germany. Expected to wear the RS6 tag and caught testing at the Nürburgring circuit, this new model will offer a raft of new technology aimed at making it one of the best-handling Audis yet produced.

Audi has long been hampered by its transmission layout, with the engine mounted ahead of the front axle. In order to minimise the nose-heavy characteristics inherent in this layout (something amplified by the lengthy V10 engine) Audi engineers have developed two new ideas for the car.

First, the quattro four-wheel-drive system will send more torque to the back wheels. Also under development are ‘Magna-Ride’ dampers which are filled with a fluid that instantly changes its properties when under an electric charge."

Iceman
April 23rd, 2005, 15:41
Originally posted by Hy Octane
Everything I have seen shows the new S6 as being a 400hp N/A v8 and the RS6 a 500 hp twin turbo v8.. All sources seem to agre that the V-10 is too large to fit..
I agreed with you about the 400 bhp N/A V8 FSI for the S6.
For the RS6 it will be a 550 bhp V8 FSI Bi-turbo.
The V10 engine is to long for the A6/S6/RS6 engine compartment.

wfg, Hans.

P.S. "Autocar" is not the most credible.

Kent J
April 23rd, 2005, 17:53
If one look carefully at the pictures its rather obvious that the car doesn't have any foglights. Why?

Standard location for dual intercoolers!

So based on previous RS6-design, I'd say twinturbo FSi 4.2 litre design.

And again, the V10 is a lengthy engine, look at the size of the Gallardo engine and at least I dont want to have it infront of me.

Look at the front bumpers where they attatch to the headlights, they are more shallow on the silver S6 compared to the blue RS6.

I'd say they hide two extra intercoolers.

Look at the attached file.

Ofcause I could be wrong, but then again, it doesnt cost to speculate ;)

roadrunner
April 23rd, 2005, 21:48
Originally posted by Kent J

Look at the front bumpers where they attatch to the headlights, they are more shallow on the silver S6 compared to the blue RS6.

I'd say they hide two extra intercoolers.

Look at the attached file.

Ofcause I could be wrong, but then again, it doesnt cost to speculate ;)

Just to clarify one thing - the bumper on the blue one is the already known bumper of the A6 s-line exteriour package (except for the missing fogs of course :hahahehe: ).

greets
seb.

Iceman
April 23rd, 2005, 22:31
Originally posted by roadrunner
Just to clarify one thing - the bumper on the blue one is the already known bumper of the A6 s-line exteriour package (except for the missing fogs of course :hahahehe: ).

greets
seb.
Sorry Roadrunner, but you are wrong the bumper on the blue car is different then the S-line bumper.

http://img218.echo.cx/img218/8676/audia6s6rs68qt.jpg

wfg, Hans.

roadrunner
April 24th, 2005, 13:53
Sorry Roadrunner, but you are wrong the bumper on the blue car is different then the S-line bumper.

wfg, Hans.

Now i see it too - similar, but not the same :doh:

was mislead by the small bump under the headlightwasher.

greets
seb.

Erik
April 25th, 2005, 14:19
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_1232.shtml :thumb:

Nordschleife
April 25th, 2005, 15:39
I'm glad your photographs have been shown to a wider audience. But what drivel Achorn writes, it would help if he wasn't trying to impress his readers.
Incidentally, it is quite easy (if expensive), to make the V8 RS6 engine sound like a V10. Another time nip round to the hotel after the track closes and ask the drivers what they were in.

R+C

athlon
April 26th, 2005, 14:15
I don't like the new A6 V8, not masculine enough.

Slab sided compared to the old A6 V8 with the flared guards looked good.

itisme
April 26th, 2005, 18:22
Congrats Erik you were first...

Germancarfans has some new and different shots and they are also talking of S6:

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050420.001

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos/6050420.001/6050420.001.Mini1L.jpg

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos/6050420.001/6050420.001.Mini2L.jpg

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos/6050420.001/6050420.001.Mini4L.jpg

MJN
April 27th, 2005, 12:34
It looks pretty good already! Those A8 wheels aren't as bas as well on the A6 :)

maximus
June 19th, 2005, 02:26
Mine insite information say that de new Audi S6 will have the same 4.2 V8 FSI engine as the RS4.

wfg, Hans.

so what engine would reside in the rs 6?

Iceman
June 19th, 2005, 07:37
Originally posted by maximus
so what engine would reside in the rs 6?
I think :rolleyes: the RS6 will have a 520 bhp 4.2-liter V8 FSI Bi-Turbo.
The problem is that all the car magazines are "Herd people".
One magazine writing it will be a V10 engine, all the magazines writing it will be a V10.
But for a long time alredy the story is that there is no room in the engine bay of a "A6" body to put a V10 engine in it, not by a country mile.
It is only possible if Audi stretch the front with ± 10-15 cm or come with a revolutionairy gearbox solution.

wfg, Hans.

Klint
June 22nd, 2005, 03:06
Way to go, Erik!

Great eye! Good shots too... :thumb: :bow:

I'm interest in the equipment that's attached to the rims of the silver/grey A6? What kind of measurement would that read? Would it be to help set up tyre pressure warning systems? :confused:

MackieMack
July 20th, 2005, 16:18

wfg, Hans.

I know that the Audi A6 is going to have a 5.2L engine with 420hp so my guess is that it is the new S6. But if it is a V10 or a V8 I don´t know........

//Marcus

Toto89
August 8th, 2005, 15:57
Well I really -really hope that S6 and RS6 will get a "big" V10:0: :revs: ,as I hope 500hp in S6(to compete with M5) and a 600hp+ bi-turbo engine in the RS6.In this case they would be increadibly cool:) :love:
Ohh please NO V8 for S6!!!!!

Base
August 22nd, 2005, 15:15
Erik, you said in your first comment that you went to Nürburgring on the day manufacturers test their new cars, on what days do these manufacturers test their cars? I'll make sure to go on one of those days lol! :hahahehe:

Pre-thnx alot!!

MackieMack
August 22nd, 2005, 15:57
Originally posted by Toto89
Well I really -really hope that S6 and RS6 will get a "big" V10:0: :revs: ,as I hope 500hp in S6(to compete with M5) and a 600hp+ bi-turbo engine in the RS6.In this case they would be increadibly cool:) :love:
Ohh please NO V8 for S6!!!!!

Like I wrote before.

I know that Audi is going to release a 5.2 L engine whit 420hp. So my guess is that it gonna be a V10 S6. But I don´t know... =)

k2
September 9th, 2005, 15:50
Erik ... nice job ... excellent camera work as well ... I'm sure that chikane is relatively high speed.

I don't know about the rest of you, but 4XX hp in a car that weights 4200# (making the assumption that the car is basically as heavy as my A6 4.2 Sline) is not all that impressive for a 'sport' model. Not really sure where this car competes ... although having said that, I would have certainly purchased 400hp over my 330.

Audi needs to be careful about their strategy if the rumors I hear are true ... we already have an RS4 and possibly new S6, RS6, S8, RS4, RS3 and a v10 in the next A8 6.0. Audi is in a interesting position with its plethora of partnerships and needs to carefully consider its next platform into the States - at least. They could easily begin to confuse / overwhelm the average consumer with too many models.

IMO ... the Gallardo engine would be a big mistake in the RS6 (not just a fit issue). This would create serious balance issues and more heat than the engineers can git rid of given Audis historical preference to stay away from slits, scoops and venturis. One of the biggest issues I had with my Gallardo was the heat g generated in the cabin during spirited driving. Stop it for 20 secs and the cabin temp would rise 10 degrees ... not to mention the heat in my garage after parking. I agree with most that it will be a smaller / lighter blown V8 (wouldn't we all be surprised if Audi resorted to supercharging to deal with some of the low end torque issues we had the 04 RS6).

Not to take us off topic ... but I heard yesterday that AudiUSA is providing huge ... up to $4,800 incentinves on As. They overproduced A6s and are having trouble moving them ... as well ... employee pricing is hurting them ... Audi needs to stay focused over the coming years.

Erik
September 9th, 2005, 15:56
Originally posted by k2
... not to mention the heat in my garage after parking.

:D

Could help the electrical bill if you drive and park a lot

Benman
September 9th, 2005, 16:19
Originally posted by k2

I don't know about the rest of you, but 4XX hp in a car that weights 4200# (making the assumption that the car is basically as heavy as my A6 4.2 Sline) is not all that impressive for a 'sport' model.

not to mention the heat in my garage after parking.
I don't know, 4XX some HP in my RS 6 sure feels impressive for a "sport" model.

And yes, the heat in the Gallardo is even more than in the RS 6, which is PLENT to keep my garage very well heated thank you. :D

k2
September 9th, 2005, 16:29
Heat is fine but we never get below about 75 degrees ... even in the winter ... Boca Raton, FL

Agree Ben ... plenty of fun there ... just basically stating that I am not overly pleased with my A6 I guess.

Benman
September 9th, 2005, 17:46
Originally posted by k2
Heat is fine but we never get below about 75 degrees ... even in the winter ... Boca Raton, FL

Agree Ben ... plenty of fun there ... just basically stating that I am not overly pleased with my A6 I guess.

Not overly pleased? So then I take it, that it didn't meet your expectations. I've only been on a couple of test drives in the new A6 4.2 and thought it was a very comforable family car, but yeah, compared to the RS 6, I wouldn't be overpleased either.
:hahahehe: ESPECIALLY when compared to the Gallardo you drive around in!:thumb:

Way OT, but I always thought it was funnt that so many people want to live in a town called "rat's mouth" (well, really mouse mouth).:D

noushy
November 7th, 2005, 19:32
Hello all,
The new S6 may indeed have the v10 5.2l of the new s8, that is usually the way audi goes. They tend to detune it a little for the a6 class car though (old s8 =360, old s6 = 340). I think it will have around 430hp or so, at least 100 more than the 4.2. This should make for a significant difference, especially considering the jump in torque. In addition, the v10 only weighs like 10kg more than the v8, which means the dynamics of weight do not change much. I agree though that if there is not much difference in performance, that will kill sales. I think the s6 will run close to $70k, meaning an rs6 will be $90k, and at least 100hp more or somewhere north of 500hp. The question is how much heat can be released from under the hood. More power = more heat unless the engine is more efficient. Twin turbo v10 is gonna be awfully hot, think bentley gt with tt w12. And I agree, Audi has to be careful flooding the market with too many variations of a model. The A4 2.0t/3.2/S4/RS4 is an example of that. Mercedes generally limits the sports model to a single AMG in a range, with the exception of the S55/S65 SL55/SL65 CL55/CL65. I heard that is also about to end with all of them being replaced by a 63 model.

Noushy

5000S old skool
November 8th, 2005, 00:28
well gee, if the S6 has a 430hp V10. Might as well put the RS4 engine in it which is lighter, and much more lively, with only 10 less hp which can be gained back with just an exhaust or something... I think the RS4 engine would be more suitable for S6. Then V10 Biturbo for RS6.. But I doubt a V10 Biturbo can beshoehorned into the A6 engine bay without intercoolers being choked (B5 S4)...

noushy
November 8th, 2005, 02:41
Well guys this is still all speculation. The advantage of the V10 over the V8 FSI (as in RS4) is torque. The A6 class car is heavier and would benefit from the wider torque spread of the v10. That is why Audi did not put the v8 FSI in the S8. Look at the specs of the V8 4.2 vs. the RS4 motor, not much difference in torque, and you have to really rev the motor to get it all out. That would be poorly suited for a heavier, more luxurious car. The RS4 engine is not all that off the W12 as far as hp goes, but it is a world of difference in the torque and torque characteristics of the two engines. I heard that Audi was experimenting with the RS4 engine in lesser tune form for possibly other vehicles (ie. new allroad with 370hp or so). This is slightly better conjecture than a rumour only because of my friendship with some AoA VPs. Again who knows what the final answer will be, most likely based on all of the above, cost, and availability of the engines. When the S4 came out, the engines were in short supply since Audi was directing most of them towards the A8. We will just have to wait and see.

Kappe
November 8th, 2005, 08:24
I Think it will have the 450BHP V10 tbh..

And the RS6 I think it will have atleast the V10 with the 500BHP of the Lamborghini Gallardo.
els they woudn't improve the that much with the old RS6..

And maybe that V10 biturbo with 600BHP :D that we can find in the Audi nuvolari concept and in the Audi Le Mans Quattro Concept :dance:

Iceman
November 10th, 2005, 17:02
Rumour say that de S6 will have a 440 hp version of 5.2 V10 FSI engine.

wfg, Hans.

tailpipe
November 10th, 2005, 18:46
I tend to agree with Iceman Hans - the S6 will have naturally aspirated V10 and RS6 will have bi-turbo V-10.

I know that Audi has tested naturally aspirated V10 FSI and V8 FSI engines and also a V8 FSI bi-turbo version of new RS4 engine.

A lower revving engine with tubos is preffered to higher revving V8 (as with RS4). Reasons for this are fuel consumption, automatic gearbox issues and reliability.

According to contact at BMW Audi witnessed a lot of M5 V-10 engines blowing up on the Ring this time last year. 12 months later BMW is witnessing a lot of high revving RS4 V-8s doing the same. I have no idea whether this is true. The RS4's engine is certainly a highly strung bit of kit.

My own choice for S6 would be V10. Think Audi's marketing people will agree. 450 bhp easy. 550 bhp no problem. 650 bhp top end on test track with bi-turbos.

Kappe
November 10th, 2005, 18:51
Audi already has a V10 biturbo with 600 and 610BHP. And a V10 non turbo with 525BHP.
as for the 4.2 biturbo the max audi officiale clamed was 500BHP.

Iceman
November 10th, 2005, 19:29
The S6 will have 440 hp by 6850 rpm.

wfg, Hans.

Kappe
November 10th, 2005, 19:37
The S6 will have 440 hp by 6850 rpm.

wfg, Hans.

Thank god your the boss of audi!

Guys we got some sirious information here! :D

BBGT2
November 16th, 2005, 21:27
Bad news folks, Mr. Audi just called me and he said the next RS 6 will have the turbodiesel in it to get more oil well huggers to buy Audi's.:D :D :D :D :D

Oh, the speculation will go on and we wont know s**t because they dont even know and wont know until they are told and the guy that tells them is off golfing in Barbados for awhile and he doesnt even care because he likes playing golf and traveling.

Bajo
:addict:

Iceman
December 17th, 2005, 16:05
12 months later BMW is witnessing a lot of high revving RS4 V-8s doing the same. I have no idea whether this is true. The RS4's engine is certainly a highly strung bit of kit.
With all the V8 LeMans 24 hour experience that Audi have i don't think so.
That 4.2 V8 FSI engine must be bullit proof.

wfg, Hans.

tailpipe
December 18th, 2005, 15:48
Not so, Hans. The Le Mans racer was turbocharged not naturally aspirated. The R8 also had quite a few features that would be impactical on a regular road car, like larger radiatiors, to aid cooling. The 4.2 V-8 is an entirely new kind of performance engine from Ingolstadt.

The problem they are trying to fix is that excessive running at high revs creates a heat build-up in the cylinder head. Quite a few have melted on prototypes during endurance testing.

An improved cooling system has apparently fixed the problem, but has continued to test the car because it wants it to be perfect by the time it is launched.

First few customer cars are scheduled to be delivered in January in Europe. Avant will arrive May-June. Avant is a sure thing for Geneva.

BBGT2
December 18th, 2005, 16:17
Tailpipe,
I am confused by your post.
Are you saying that Audi has had problems with the R8 which is turbocharged due to cooling issues? If so than what makes you think a NA motor would have the same problem. Everyone knows that forced induction motors have cooling issue's and they run and produce alot more heat than their NA siblings. I dont understand why insufficent cooling would be an issue on a NA engine.

freerider
December 18th, 2005, 16:32
From what I've heard (a couple of times), is that there will be NO RS6. At least not in the near future. The "problem" is that Quattro Gmbh wants to use all of its resources for the upcoming R9. And as we all know, Quattro Gmbh has limited resources. It can hardly handle the demand for the RS4, certainly with the R9 comming.
More bad news: there are no testings or whatsoever for a DSG for longitudinal engines (or cars with Quattro?).
What I also heard is that all the pictures found on internet don't resemble the next TT at all. (weird since we already saw camouflaged ones)
I can't confirm/verify any of this information, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

Greetz Johan

BBGT2
December 18th, 2005, 17:32
Johan,
You are true to state that there wont be a next gen RS6 as that is what I have heard as well. Now, having said that, it is the same answer I was given about the S8 last year.
So it is a safe bet to say Audi will not tell anyone but themselves whether it's a go or no go.
So true about Quattro Gmbh being swampped they are having a helluva time trying to get the RS4 going. Quattro does not have the capacity to bring us more that 2 "special" models in a year's production.
Given that they are building the RS4, R9 AND the S8 they are way over their heads this time, makes me weary about certain quality control issues and fit/finish that they have been excellent at so far.
I hope they do change their mind if they havent already by bringing us a next gen RS6, but if they dont it will def. help us out with the resale of our babies. I for one am happy that the 997 series Porsche has no plans to build a GT2 version.

Iceman
December 18th, 2005, 18:09
"Tailpipe" i know that the LeMans R8 is a bi-turbo charge car but i ment V8 experience in general.
Audi know how to build a V8 engine.

Further Quattro GmbH will only build the RS4 Sedan and Avant not the R8 Quattro (It is not R9 btw) and also not the S8.
The R8 will be build in Neckarsulm in the same factory where the late A2 was build.
The Audi S8 is a normal production model.

wfg, Hans.

BBGT2
December 18th, 2005, 19:04
Hmmm, interesting I thought the "Le Mans protoype" was going to be called the R9.
OOPS:doh:
My mistake.

Yes I agree Audi sure does know how to make a great V8, my first A8 has almost 189k miles and still running stron, the tranny though is starting to falter.
Still I believe that Quattro Gmbh is worried that they will not be able to produce the next gen. RS6 soon and will do so as before when they only offered it as the current (then) A6 chassis was being changed with a new A6 model/chassis. And again I fear we here in the states will have to wait 1 year after the rest of the world gets their's. That is just my opinion hopefully I am wrong. :D

tailpipe
December 19th, 2005, 11:28
Hans,

Absolutely no doubt that Audi is brilliant at building V8s. They are also brilliant at building turbocharged V8s. But when it comes to building high-revving naturally aspirated V8s, this is a first. Also it is their first V8 to have fuel stratified injection.

Teething problems are bound to be expected. Overheating or, rather as I said, melting of the cylinder head block after intensive high speed runs was not anticipated. (This was a very similar problem to that expereinced by VW's Bugatti Veyron development team, so Audi was easily able to apply experience of curing that much bigger problem to RS4.)

I believe that a solution was found some months ago and the delay to series production was due to a desire to ensure total reliability of the revised cooling system through an extended test programme.

(Bajors6, I did not say that R8 had any problems. It was pretty damn near perfect. Sorry my post wasn't clearer in making this point. )

As for a new RS6 model. It is a dead certainty that one will be made. The current version was relatively inexpensive to make versus the standard V8 and S6 models, it was sold at a significant mark-up, it had a halo effect on the entire Audi range, and most important it was bought in extraordinary numbers by customers. It is very likely that these people would buy the next one. Why wouldn't Audi wish to repeat that success?

One interesting question is the engine. Right now, they have a working prototype of a V-10 with bi-turbos generating 550-600 bhp. However, profilgate supercars that slurp increasingly expensive petrol are likely to incur the wrath of the greens. So Audi is looking at alternative powerplants. A V8 4.2 litre turbo-diesel could be offered instead. It's certainly been tested. i have no idea whether it will be adopted or simply offered alongside the V-10.

However, 550 bhp and 30 mpg sounds good to me.

AndyBG
December 19th, 2005, 23:53
Everybody, don't forget, new Audi R10 for "Le Man" is V12 TDI (corect me if i am wrong)
So, RS6 diesel, i think it is possible.
One question, what gearbox have Bugatti Veyron, DSG?

freerider
December 20th, 2005, 06:43
Originally posted by AndyBG

One question, what gearbox have Bugatti Veyron, DSG?

Jup, 7-speed

S6Komp
April 30th, 2006, 03:14
@tailpipe
Hi

Has someone a new information about the engine from new RS6 Avant that comes at 2007 ? V8 Biturbo or V10 natural or V10 Biturbo?

I think the first V8 with 8250 U/min (RS4) in the Audi History will be make problems, overheating etc., waiting on the serie 2 (Same problem on serie 1 with the S4 Biturbo, the serie 2 was bether) On the construction S4 Bi, RS4 Bi and RS6 has Cosworth make help at audi :-)

Kind Regards

jonas21
April 30th, 2006, 15:55
man, you just woke a thread which is WAY years old....
anyway...word is that the next rs6 will have a v10 biturbo, however it will most likely not hit 600bhp. it seems to be some kind of barrier at audi....

oh and please stick to a newer thread or even open one....

S6Komp
April 30th, 2006, 22:20
The last entry was from Dez 2005. I think not very old. The thema was the same: speculation versus knowhow :-) Some other meanings?