PDA

View Full Version : And the winning wheel choice is ....

JAXRS6
April 11th, 2005, 17:20
Thanks to all for input to date on earlier threads!:thumb: Even tho not everyone agrees, y'all have provided great info -- enough that I have narrowed down to one preference: Sportec 18s.

The Sportecs I want weigh about 24-25 lbs each. That's lighter than the 30-32 lb OEM wheels, but not down to 20.5 lbs or less, which is where Champion experienced increased vibration when driving an RS6 at 60-70 mph. That finding reportedly contributed to Champion's decision to stop making its lightweight forged wheels for the RS6. Sportecs also seem to have a long history of happy Audiphiles, and the wheels shown below have the "thin spoke" look that I want. Finally, they're well within budget, costing just over $2K for the set.

Two concerns, tho:

1) Just as I was getting excited about the supposed superior strength of BBS's semi-solid forged manufacturing technology, I read that Sportecs are cast alumium. Cast seems like it would be more brittle; on the other hand, I had cast O-Z Superlegarras on my 2000 S4 & no problems. I never tracked that car, tho, and may track the RS6, but probably only once.

2) The RS6 trim (mirrors etc) is brushed aluminum; the Sportecs are available in "silver" or "polished." Hopefully both will be found in the link below -- silver at left, polished at right (and a wheel I can't use in the middle). Which do you think would be a better match to the RS6 trim? Or maybe I should simply ask, which to you think would look better? (Click on them to enlarge.)

http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels/brand/sportec

One other concern is the source for these wheels: Superbuytires is in California and I'm in Florida. I know nothing about them except that they have the wheel I'm favoring. Does anyone know of a reputable source for Sportec that is closer to me? Tirerack, my usual source, doesn't carry them.

Erik
April 11th, 2005, 17:40
http://www.sportecusa.com/

http://www.sportec.ch

SpinEcho
April 12th, 2005, 00:06
Well, they're certainly beautiful wheels!

I was under the impression that the Sportec's required a spacer. Would that influence your decision?

Also, which BBS wheel(s) use SSF tecchnology? - I thought the only company that had a license for this process was SSR.

JAXRS6
April 12th, 2005, 01:25
Originally posted by SpinEcho
[B... which BBS wheel(s) use SSF tecchnology? - I thought the only company that had a license for this process was SSR. [/B]

You're right -- I meant SSR! Sorry:trash:

RE needing spacers -- some of my notes are not with me, and I don't recall for sure, but I think the Sportec offset was 35 mm, vs. 30mm stock, and I was told by superbuytires that the 35mm offset will work without spacers. But thanks for the reminder; I'll ask if Sportec calls me back from the email message I left & check my notes back home, too, when I get there. I don't want spacers if I can avoid them.

But, yeah, the wheels do look nice ... especially for the price, I thought. Still wondering about forged vs. cast, tho. I've found some info on wheel web sites, but so far they seldom say anything is wrong with any wheel -- because they want to sell wheels.

JAXRS6
April 13th, 2005, 06:15
First I explored the Champions ... and they disappeared from the market. Then I picked the Sportec Mono 10 ... and was told Tuesday they are sold out, with new models months away.:vgrumpy:

Maybe I should stop posting about wheels. It's difficult finding wheels that fit & look good & don't cost a small fortune. I don't want to jinx any more!:bigeyes:

Apparently the Sportecs would need spacers, so maybe they're not best anyway. And thanks, SpinEcho, for reminding me to ask:thumb:

Benman
April 13th, 2005, 18:55
Originally posted by JAXRS6
First I explored the Champions ... and they disappeared from the market. Then I picked the Sportec Mono 10 ... and was told Tuesday they are sold out, with new models months away.:vgrumpy:

Apparently the Sportecs would need spacers, so maybe they're not best anyway. And thanks, SpinEcho, for reminding me to ask:thumb:
Wow. I say SSR. No spacers, they're available and I never had vibration issues (at least not at 125mph on the racetrack!).

Although with your luck they'll be sold out by the time you make the call:D (wait, not funny)

Ben:addict:

nene
April 13th, 2005, 19:27
You can also try the Oz Superleggeras (one piece) in Silver.
They come in 18x9 et35 or et34 I believe (same width and offset as Euro stock wheels). They are only about 20lbs each, and gorgeous. They would have that concave look like the stock 18" rims.
Eric @ Supreme Power Parts (http://www.supremepowerparts.com/) is checking them out for me to see if they will fit over the brakes, which I think they will.

JAXRS6
April 13th, 2005, 21:23
Originally posted by Benman
(with SSR) I never had vibration issues (at least not at 125mph on the racetrack!)

What about 60-70 mph or thereabouts? Do you use them for daily driving too?

Benman
April 15th, 2005, 18:24
Originally posted by JAXRS6
What about 60-70 mph or thereabouts? Do you use them for daily driving too?
Sorry for the late reply. Only at the track and to and from hotel. At 60-70 (I don't drive that slow so it only lasts about 4 seconds:D ) it seems fine. At 75-85 it again seems pretty good. Again, this is only with R compound tires so I would assume (never a good idea) that with normal street tires the ride would be at least as good. I still find it a little hard to beleive that just weight alone is what causes the vibration, but you never know.

Hope this info is to some use to you.:cheers:

Ben:addict: