PDA

View Full Version : Milltek install

SouthshoreRS6
April 6th, 2005, 15:28
Their Cat-back system is a piece of art. Bolted right up. We spent most of the three hours getting it lined up just the way we wanted it. The sound, as others have posted, is really nice. Low rumble at idle, no cabin noise over stock until you hit the go pedal and it wails. BTW, stock pipes have a indent at rear suspension that can't help.

Bauer
April 7th, 2005, 06:44
The sound of that system is fantastic.....congrats!!:thumb:

nene
April 7th, 2005, 13:07
Originally posted by SouthshoreRS6
... BTW, stock pipes have a indent at rear suspension that can't help.

I'm not sure I understand this statement, but here's how I understood it.

I saw Ricky's sport enhanced exhaust, and I did not see any indentations in the pipes. By this I mean that the exhaust was a regular straight pipe without any depressions that would restrict flow of gases.
Furthermore, I looked at where the exhaust attaches to the DPs, and I did not see any indentations there either. I think the indentations seem to be a 'feature' of the regular stock exhaust.
You got any pix of your stock exhaust that shows the indentation? I'd really be interested in seeing this.

I think the restriction due to the indentation might be so minimal that is in fact unnoticeable. Please post pix if you got any.

SouthshoreRS6
April 8th, 2005, 16:59
nene,

I do have photos, but can't get them to post..... I just created a album at Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/album/317448616SYJyCO

Bill

Aronis
April 9th, 2005, 13:40
I think your stock exhaust perhaps was damaged?

here is a diagram from the repair mainual showing a JOINT at this point...

I will check mine under the car later when I change my oil..

Mike

Aronis
April 9th, 2005, 13:45
Even more interesting is this pic...

They INSTALL a joint here!?!?!

nene
April 9th, 2005, 18:54
Thanks for the pix Bill.
Click to see the identation on the exhaust (http://community.webshots.com/photo/317448616/317450840uDEAqZ)

I really have to check my exhaust for this, but I don't remember seeing this indentation on Ricky's exhaust. That surely is interesting.

The new exhaust looks nice, but why the clamps between the exhaust tips and the muffler?

Nordschleife
April 9th, 2005, 19:19
Originally posted by nene

The new exhaust looks nice, but why the clamps between the exhaust tips and the muffler?

because the attachment to the hangers is on the clamps

R+C
PS the fitters never adjust them properly, fine tune the fitting yourself later so both pipes are central on tyhe slot and te same distance from the top of the surrounding trim

SpinEcho
April 9th, 2005, 23:48
I also have the indentation on my sound-enhanced exhaust. My TT had a similar one on its OEM exhaust. Fitting the Milltek to my TT gave a slight but noticeable improvement in turbo spool-up, something I did not expect, since in my experience most aftermarket exhausts are more about noise than performance.

SouthshoreRS6
April 10th, 2005, 15:33
Aronis,

I do not think my factory exhaust was damaged, as everything else looked fine. That said, I bought the car last month with 5K miles so I don't have all the history.

nene:

On the Milltek, you need clamps to mount the tips on the exhaust pipes. Very adjustable that way, just hope no one steals them...:dance:

Bill

nene
April 10th, 2005, 18:57
Thanks for the full info team.

Aronis
April 16th, 2005, 22:37
I changed my oil this am, and verified that my exhaust system does have the two joints shown in the picture above.

I think my car is a later build date, and I have the sound enhanced exhaust.

Mike:rs6kiss: