PDA

View Full Version : Rear deck rattle

nene
March 28th, 2005, 21:44
Not sure if any of you have this issue, but this Winter it seems that my car developed a rear deck rattle. Not sure how it came about, but an easy fix was found and implemented.

If you look from within the trunk, the top of inner sanctum that is known as your trunk of course, there are a few nuts that hold the rear deck lid inside the car. Some of these seem to loosen up, especially if you reside in an area where the roads are not so smooth. I found that my center nut was loose, and once it was tightened once again, the rattle was gone. I checked the few other bolts in that area, and all seemed fine.

In the same general area, I found a small rectangular box that is located between the rear deck lid and top of the trunk. There are wires there as well, which seem to be wrapped in a spongy material. Make sure that the box is not rubbing against the metal, as this can cause rattles as well. You can go to your local Home Depot for example, or any hardware store, and get the stickers that have spongy side to it. Put them between the metal of the top of the trunk and the metal box. That works too.

Benman
March 28th, 2005, 23:19
Originally posted by nene

If you look from within the trunk, the top of inner sanctum that is known as your trunk of course,
Holy of Holies, LOL:D

It would make sense to check these. Unlike the upcoming RS 4, the car was never designed for the spoiler (whereas the decklid is bespoke and remolded for the RS 4) and was just an add on. They just drill holes and throw on a spoiler with screws which can work it's way loose over time. Good find.

Ben:addict: