PDA

View Full Version : Touching up Scratches

Aronis
March 18th, 2005, 17:09
Anyone have any expericience with touching up small scratches?

Just ordered the paint which comes in a Base Color, Pearl Effect and Clear Coat set of three spray cans for $37.

Do you need all three to hide a small scratch?

Mike

Benman
March 18th, 2005, 18:57
Originally posted by Aronis
three spray cans for $37.

Do you need all three to hide a small scratch?

Mike

How small? Whatever you do, DON'T use a spray can on your car. You will not be able to "blend" it out. The best way would be to take the spray can and spray the color onto a surface that you do not care about (i.e. bottle cap, lid, etc...). Then with a very small (fine) touch up brush (or tip) dip the brush into the paint and then carefully apply the paint to the actual scratch ONLY. Try to keep it as small as possible. Repeat the same process with the clear coat.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

Bauer
March 18th, 2005, 19:22
I use 50 grit sand paper and a house paint brush...looks fine.:D :D :hahahehe:

Ben, you guys need another painter...I gots me some skillz..what do you think?

Benman
March 18th, 2005, 19:46
Bro,

Doze be MAD skillz!:hihi:

sturs6
March 18th, 2005, 21:16
Originally posted by Bauer
I use 50 grit sand paper and a house paint brush...looks fine.:D :D :hahahehe:

Ben, you guys need another painter...I gots me some skillz..what do you think?
Ben don't let Ben knock your skills I like them...:0: :hihi: :hihi: especially the two tone.:360:
Hey I like those wheels too. Where do you get wheels like that?

Bauer
March 20th, 2005, 20:38
Originally posted by sturs6
Ben don't let Ben knock your skills I like them...:0: :hihi: :hihi: especially the two tone.:360:
Hey I like those wheels too. Where do you get wheels like that?

Some shaddy back alley deal....almost bad:D

Aronis
March 28th, 2005, 15:25
Anyone have any experience with "Mercedes Wax?"

My dad's M5 was scratched at the Dealer and they used this wax to take the scratch out...

Mike

Benman
March 28th, 2005, 16:13
Can't say I've experienced "Mercedes Wax" but it's a safe bet that it is just someone elses wax with there name on it. Example: A couple of the dealer owners here by it in bulk (couple hundred gallons at a time) then have it bottled with their name/logo on it. They get it from a company in Brazil and the wax contains Teflon. It's fairly good stuff but will only "take out scratches" if they are very light. No matter how good a wax is, it will not take out a sratch if it's through the paint (despite what those infomercials tell you;) ).

Aronis
March 28th, 2005, 16:29
I think it simply filled the superficial scratch such that it was less noticable to the eye.

The area of the car was quite dirty so I could not tell...

Mike

DaveyKid
March 29th, 2005, 08:00
the stuff is good. The older formula was better based on ease of use, but even the new stuff, while not as easy anymore, is still good. It's a three step process that I use. The first is the stripper of all the old wax/grime, etc... The second is called the Paint Polish and the third is called the Paint Protector and Sealer.

Was easy to use and lasted pretty long. I know everyone uses Zaino or a million other products, but I always found this stuff great to use.

By the way, it is the same stuff that comes in the Porsche wax kit as well. Obviously manufactured by someone else that MB and Porsche both buy from.

Benman
March 29th, 2005, 16:41
Originally posted by DaveyKid
the stuff is good.
By the way, it is the same stuff that comes in the Porsche wax kit as well. Obviously manufactured by someone else that MB and Porsche both buy from.
Yes, a lot of manufactures buy it in bulk. It IS fairly good stuff, and works well. Just don't use it with the intention of "eliminating" scratches as opposed to getting a nice deep shine.