PDA

View Full Version : AOA S8 answer to me

BBGT2
March 15th, 2005, 18:11
ear Bob:

Thank you for your interest in Audi.

Our e-mail address is designed to provide information only on present or currently upcoming Audi models. No plans have been announced at this time for production of the next Audi S8 for North America, but we will be happy to forward your note to the appropriate persons for consideration in future planning. The preferences and opinions of our customers are very important in developing models for the coming years.

As you know, the S8 is not produced every year for North America. This is a specially configured vehicle intended for the serious, discerning enthusiast.

The RS4 has not yet been offered in the American market, though it has caused a great deal of excitement in both its appearances in Europe. At this time no schedule has been announced to bring the current RS4 to the U.S. or Canada, but, as with your interest in the S8, we will be happy to forward your inquiry to the appropriate persons as a mark of your interest. We hope you will visit the "Future" and "Press Release" pages of the website to learn the latest Audi news. You can also register in My Audi and sign up for the Audi newsletters featuring your particular interests.

The new Audi RS4 was presented at the Geneval Auto Show this year, so information on it will probably be available in press releases in the near future. Automotive magazines and websites will also, no doubt, present pictures and information in coming issues.

Again, thank you for contacting us. Please write again if we can be of any further assistance.

Otto

AudiTalk

Looks like Audi has no idea what they want to do even with the RS4, this was confirmed to me by an Audi rep, but who knows today is only Tuesday by Wednsday afternoon they might say something different. Just wanted to share with you.

All the best to everyone on the board,
Bajo :addict:

RS4Ever
March 15th, 2005, 19:01
Originally posted by Bajors6
Looks like Audi has no idea what they want to do even with the RS4, this was confirmed to me by an Audi rep, but who knows today is only Tuesday by Wednsday afternoon they might say something different. Just wanted to share with you.

thanks for posting that.

it just shows us more how "stable" things are for us in the US.

:w: they already figured out what seats and steering wheel US will get..... so now its like: If We Will AT ALL Get It.:confused:

however, you also never know if that rep knows 100% of the news or if they are advised to tell us different stories.

:eye:

bilbozilla
March 15th, 2005, 19:08
Why don't you provide his contact information so we can all hound him?

RS4Ever
March 15th, 2005, 19:21
Originally posted by bilbozilla
Why don't you provide his contact information so we can all hound him?

hehe

BBGT2
March 15th, 2005, 21:24
Email address is

auditalk@audi.com

Have at him

!:rs6kiss:

bigeyes:

:bye2:

Bajo:addict:

Benman
March 15th, 2005, 22:06
Hello Bajo:cheers: ,

As RS4ever states sometimes the reps don't know. But isn't it sad that we the entusiasts seem to know more them them? I mean come on, we've been talking about this for how long now (some with inside info) only for the Audi reps to say "well, maybe not."

The reps on Audi's payroll should OF ALL PEOPLE know what is going on with the cars in the pipeline. Sad...

Ben:addict:

gjg
March 15th, 2005, 22:07
they already figured out what seats and steering wheel US will get..... so now its like: If We Will AT ALL Get It.

yep, AoA knows best how to fit someone's arse ..... :harass: :harass: :harass:

Audihead
March 15th, 2005, 23:06
It's like if you would get caught cheating, deny, deny, deny. They will not tell you anything, even if they have the info right in front of them. Bastards, it would really help to know these things to plan ahead.:w:

:s4addict:

Benman
March 16th, 2005, 00:32
Originally posted by Audihead
It's like if you would get caught cheating, deny, deny, deny. They will not tell you anything, even if they have the info right in front of them. Bastards, it would really help to know these things to plan ahead.:w:

Ha ha, that's funny. Think about it. If they told you, "what, you want to buy the S4? Why don't you just wait about 4 or 5 months till the new one comes out? Or better yet the all new RS 4 comes out 7 months after that!" than what would happen to their job? It's all about selling you what they have FIRST, cause they can ALWAYS sell you the "new" model later!:doh:

Ben

Audihead
March 16th, 2005, 19:07
Originally posted by Benman
Ha ha, that's funny. Think about it. If they told you, "what, you want to buy the S4? Why don't you just wait about 4 or 5 months till the new one comes out? Or better yet the all new RS 4 comes out 7 months after that!" than what would happen to their job? It's all about selling you what they have FIRST, cause they can ALWAYS sell you the "new" model later!:doh:

Ben

True Dat. Still sucks though.

BBGT2
March 17th, 2005, 01:56
Benman :applause:

You are absolutely correct and I understand theor point but that will not appease me unfortunately. I am still going to wait and see and hope they bring it here. He (Otto) did write back and say that the revised A8 with the huge grille like the W12 A8L is coming in about 5-6 months and the torque output is/will have 317Ft lbs of torque and with the optional "sport package" which is wheels/tires it "should" feel like my S8. Never mind the gear ratio etc, the exclusivity etc etc of having a REAL S car. But at least he is trying to help. And after getting my second email about how unfortunate it was that Audi will not bring the models here he backs down and tells me to wait for the updated 06 model in September 05. So maybe I/We keep pushing and complaining..............:hahahehe:
Just keeping you posted, anyone else email him?

Benman
March 17th, 2005, 02:04
Originally posted by Audihead
True Dat. Still sucks though.

I know it does but hang in there!

Bajo,

I think it is a real safe bet that the RS 4 IS coming Stateside. With what seats and such... now that's the question. I think it's also fairly safe to speculate that when the S8 comes out, we here will also get a version. Keep the faith...:cheers:

absent
March 17th, 2005, 02:53
They always deny everything.(even when they send dealer's technicians for training on a new model)

BBGT2
March 30th, 2005, 00:44
Well it turns out that Audi will bring an S8 "soon" to the states. When, what engine etc they did not reveal to the dealers but they are definetly bringing one soon. He (Audi rep) said probably mid 2006 as a 2006.5 model. Which is fine with me because I went into a Mercedes dealer with my brother to pick up his CL65 (what a monster that thing is btw) and saw the G55 and was looking into it when the owner of the dealer said go drive it and tell me what you think of it and said "stomp" on it. I did as he said and was IMPRESSED very very very impressed by the 516ft lbs of torque when it breaks loose all four tires. And you guessed it I bought it on the spot, I love it. Sorry Audi you lost me I am back to Benzes (for now anyway).
Just wanted to keep you guys posted if I hear anything different from the audi dealer which is owner of both the benz and audi dealers I will post for you guys. BTW Still miss my monster but just couldn't find one like mine except one that was on the east coast and had 7k on it. Oh well you win some you lose some with the G55 I am VERY VERY happy.

Benman
March 30th, 2005, 02:28
Well it turns out that Audi will bring an S8 "soon" to the states. When, what engine etc they did not reveal to the dealers but they are definetly bringing one soon. He (Audi rep) said probably mid 2006 as a 2006.5 model.

See Bajo, you just had to keep the faith.:0:

As for the Benz...:nono: :D
:cheers:

BBGT2
March 30th, 2005, 06:13
Benman :0:

You said it like it is about keepin the faith, but..... 2006 1/2 is still a ways away so one never knows what will I do until then. I just hope they put the V10 in it to make it helpful for us that have strayed away.:incar:
We shall see my good friend. BTW I read in Autoweek that Audi is going to be staying away from forced air engine's and focus on the N/A version like the one in the RS4. I hope not.

Bajo:addict: (die hard)

Benman
March 30th, 2005, 16:53
BTW I read in Autoweek that Audi is going to be staying away from forced air engine's and focus on the N/A version like the one in the RS4. I hope not.

Bajo:addict: (die hard)
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Man, I sure hope not. A TT V10 would be incredible!
Ben:addict: (die harder;) )

Finnus
March 30th, 2005, 17:04
Bajo,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a G55. I assume its an AMG ...

Finnus
:addict:

BTW congrats on the new ride!

Benman
March 30th, 2005, 17:09
Hey Finnus,

It's the G Wagon (can't pronounce the real name). It's the boxier of the two Merc SUVs (the REAL one that is). It's been out since before the H1. It is used in the German military. Good offroader, well, with offroad tires that is.

BBGT2
March 30th, 2005, 17:43
Finnus, here she is along with the CL65. its called the Gelaendwagen (I think its proper spelling, didnt look it up).

absent
March 31st, 2005, 02:14
Finnus, here she is along with the CL65. its called the Gelaendwagen (I think its proper spelling, didnt look it up).
Congrats on the G55,a real monster.
How do you like it now,after a few more miles in regular driving?
I can't wait for mine(wife's),sitting at dealer having Kleemann headers ,ECU, pulley and DVD system installed.

RS4Ever
March 31st, 2005, 03:24

wow! congrats man!

that is one mean machine.

TopGear test drove it in the perfect place... if you havent seen the video i suggest you do. capable of a lot of manuevering.

if i find the clip i will try to somehow load it through that SENDit,com site.

:cool2:

BBGT2
March 31st, 2005, 17:11
Thanks guys!

I am happy with the ride yes it is a bith stiff but live axles will do that, I have taken it off roading a bit with the stock tires nothing extreme but a lot of deep mud about a foot or less and had no problem with the OE tires, locked the center diff only and AWAY she went. Incredible machine yes chassis is outdated but works just fine for me as for speed VERY happy.
Absent you're getting yours taken care of with all the extra goodies:)
RS4EVER if you find it send it please, THANK'S

Bajo
:rs6kiss: :wo:

absent
March 31st, 2005, 18:43
It's waiting for the ECU (later today),then it goes to get DVDs in the headrests.Headers and pulley already installed.
Should be able to take delivery either late Friday or Saturday.

BBGT2
April 2nd, 2005, 03:16
Absent,
How does she ride with the upgrades, worth it and noticable, what do you get around 50 hp if I am correct with the chip and pulley, but you got headers too so maybe more. I signed up with mbworld but havent heard back from them in a week. Sorry Eric dont mean to use up this to converse with other mb'ers but I advertise RS6.com on all my vehicles because I am a loyal Audist as well. I will just have to wait for the next gen. RS6.

absent
April 2nd, 2005, 04:48
Absent,
How does she ride with the upgrades, worth it and noticable, what do you get around 50 hp if I am correct with the chip and pulley, but you got headers too so maybe more. I signed up with mbworld but havent heard back from them in a week. Sorry Eric dont mean to use up this to converse with other mb'ers but I advertise RS6.com on all my vehicles because I am a loyal Audist as well. I will just have to wait for the next gen. RS6.

I will not be able to tell the difference ,since all the mods are done before I even had a chance to drive it.(my wife thinks the truck is "stock")
It is at the audio shop ,having the dvds installed now.
Can't wait.........

RS4Ever
April 5th, 2005, 01:50

i sent you a PM.

RS4Ever
April 8th, 2005, 17:26
Link (http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=4321)

"Dear 001,

Just got out of a meeting with my Audi mole and he told me that the S6 and the S8 are officially committed to and will be in the USA sometime next year.

Look for a 5.2 litre engine lifted from the Lambo running at 550HP.

Also, the A5 (or Q5 depending on the final name)is a go for 2007-08.

And finally my favorite, The Lemans has been officially approved and will see the light of day as a real production car in 2007-08!

Tanaka"

:vhmmm: hmmm..we kind of knew that about the lemans for quite a while now

Benman
April 8th, 2005, 20:29
Originally posted by RS4Ever

:vhmmm: hmmm..we kind of knew that about the lemans for quite a while now
Actually, even though Audi "said" it was making the Le Mans, there was an Article in Autoweek just a week or so ago that said Audi was not releasing the "official" response to if they would or would not make the Le Mans until the begining of this month. So I guess it's now OFFICIAL! But please Audi, don't bring this Beast to market with "only" a 4.2 normally aspirated engine. That would be weak. Bring it with the REAL engine!:MTM:

MJN
April 27th, 2005, 17:48
If Audi wants to beat the Gallardo, the F430 or the 911 Turbo, it'll need at least 500 bhp. If Audi can work out some kind of V10 with 550 bhp or something, that should be great.

Maybe there'll be a cheap budget Le Mans with the 425bhp 4,2 V8? :confused:

Finnus
April 27th, 2005, 21:46
If Audi wants to beat the Gallardo...

That's the point ... is Audi going to compete with itself building something that will beat the Gallardo at a lower cost? Two questions:

1) Can Audi accomplish this (beat the Gallardo at a lower cost)?
2) If they can will they???

Personally, I hope/think they can and will. But that may just be wishful thinking.

Finnus

Benman
April 27th, 2005, 22:58
Originally posted by Finnus
Two questions:

1) Can Audi accomplish this (beat the Gallardo at a lower cost)?
2) If they can will they???

Personally, I hope/think they can and will. But that may just be wishful thinking.

Finnus
I'm hoping Nord jumps into this one but here's my take.

1): Most definately. The Le Mans if made more "mainstream" than the Gallardo, would then be "cheaper" to manufacture since the developement cost can be absorbed over a larger # of units sold.

2): Now THAT'S the key question. Current politics involved I don't see it being better (i.e. faster, sportier, more options) than the flagship brand but who knows. I know I sure HOPE that it's great.

I do know that it would be a real shame to bring this car to market with "only" the NA 4.2 RS 4 motor.

Don't get me wrong. I think the new RS 4 motor is a really cool concept and if I was in the financial position to buy a RS 4 (while keeping my Beast) I would, but to give the Le Mans a motor that makes LESS power than the RS 6 just doesn't make sense. Would Mercedes build a AMG SL with "only" the NA V8 that is used in the C55 when you can buy the E55 with the "real" motor? No. It gives it at LEAST as good of a motor as it's lower cars have. My point is that for Audi's FLAGSHIP car it should have a FLAGSHIP motor. Of course, all of this goes back to question # 2, do they or don't they step on Lambo toes?

RS4Ever
April 27th, 2005, 23:28
lets just say we know we are not 100% sure about the engine so far..

however, lets say that both the lambo and the le mans cost the same and deliver close performance figures... the real question is:

which would you get?

the Gallardo

or

the Le Mans

no disrespect to lambo, but personally, i would choose the Le Mans

of course, they are both incredible machines, well we know for sure with the lambo.:looking:

Nordschleife
April 28th, 2005, 00:31
Well guys

Remember, the Gallardo is the best car Audi makes. It is not a POS Lamborghini. Remember a great many were actually built in Neckarsulm, not Sant'Agata Bolognese.

The Audi board repeatedly affirms their viewpoint that Audi will never challenge Lamborghini in terms of performance. To do otherwise is to throw their entire investment in Lamborghini out the window.

So based on my conversations with 2 Audi Supervisory Board members, the CEO of quattro GmbH and the recently retired CEO of Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A., plus one of the Quattro Le Mans designers, I believe that the car is notionally targetted at the Carrera 2 and 4 S.

For the mosty part, the investment in development is done, the Gallardo exists, that is the basis of the QLM or LMQ or whatever it finally appears as. The RS4 engine exists. Drop that engine in a gallardo ASF chassis and give it the body you have seen at shows, and you have the car. There is a small question of the gearbox. Which ain't so small a question on reflection. That new gearbox is still not here.

For a C2/C4S beater, the 420 horsepower of the RS4 engine is plenty, plus its lighter than the V10 and hopefully the gearbox will be much lighter than the Gallardo's. The price will be cheaper because the parts will cost less. The chassis is written off over the Gallardo/LMQ combined production. Its just a Volkswagen after all, like Bentley and Lamborghini, so don't snear at your housekeeper coming to work in her SEAT or Skoda, she is driving a Volkswagen too.

Now don't worry about the performance, it will be faster than the C2/C4S, it will handle infinately better than any current Audi.

However, to be completely honest, I don't know if this car is actually going to make it to market, Audi have a lot on right now and quite limited resources. And sitting in the European marketplace, I'm happier with the idea of a new Porsche than an Audi, in terms of resale value, and remember that for business cars, the average German taxpayer is forking out 1 % of the car's purchase cost per month in taxes, plus it will depreciate. Given this regime, I'll take the Porsche which, by comparison, barely depreciates and consequently will lease for less than the Audi.

Furthermore, despite getting the guys to promise the car would be 'hard edged', I just don't believe them, its got "suits you sir" written all over it! They will blurr the car's edges to appeal to a wide market, sure as Tex Ritter's got bow legs!

R+C

Benman
April 28th, 2005, 19:36
I think that at least for us here in the States, that's what we were affraid of. Making the Le Mans too close in terms of $$$ and performance to the Gallardo wouldn't make sense for lambo (can anyone say Phaeton vs A8?).

Thats a real shame if they make it appeal to a "wide" market by eliminating the "hard edged" intentions. If they want "main stream" than go buy an S4 or RS 6 available in auto with seating for 5. They need to keep this Beast for the Die Hards. Or maybe they're intending to make a RS version of the Le Mans after all?

RS4Ever,

As for your question, if the Le Mans was the SAME price and performance as the Gallardo, then sad to say, I'd prefer the Gallardo. More exclusive. Now if the Le Mans was a little slower but more affordable, then Le Mans. But then it doesn't make sense to have a car named "Le Mans" that is "slower".:D