PDA

View Full Version : Return of the "No Boost" Mode...

Hy Octane
March 15th, 2005, 01:55
I gotta admit that I'm beginning to get a little upset over this.
I just cant believe that all you guys cars are running just hunky dory and I am the one AGAIN who gets the gleet..

After replacing the ECU a few weeks ago due to the car continually going into limp mode (turbo boost shutoff) after reaching operating temp. Today in Socal the temps were near 80 for the first time in weeks and sure enuff, ittsss baaack..
Went straight to my tech who hooked it up and we did a few WOT runs. he confirmed the same readouts as before and will print them out to fax to Germany. He says he tried to convince Audi that there was something else responsible for the problem but Hans and Franz up there at the Weinerstrasse were adamant it was the ECU. Well, now he is going to have Willie, the Amazing Knowitall Travelling Audi tech from Germany come by and personally take the case. I'm about ready to take out MY Willie and beat the whole Audi Tech team to death with it!

So far, after 10k, we have replaced one ecu, and one front driveshaft seal.. There is an intermittant tapping sound that comes and goes.. they cant find it.. Also, the Power steering pump groans intermittently too.. they cant find that...now whats next? Locusts? Why me?

Will keep ya posted..

SpinEcho
March 15th, 2005, 02:02
Originally posted by Hy Octane
I'm about ready to take out MY Willie and beat the whole Audi Tech team to death with it!

Easy now...

Seriously, I hope they get this sorted out for you ASAP. I can't believe you would have a second, faulty ECU - sounds like they missed the boat first time around.

JAXRS6
March 15th, 2005, 05:19
Just a reminder that I went thru the original ECU (aka ECM), then another, then a third before my subpar performance issues (aka no boost) were resolved with replacement of the wiring harness. This occurred after dealer tech got on the phone with a tech in Germany. 1st ECU failed around 10K mi; problem not solved until around 15K mi, but it hasn't happened since & I'm at 35K mi now with the car running faster than ever.

Hopefully my case was written up for the system Audi and its dealers use to share information & solutions for problems that already have come up, but don't count on it. Another dealer tech said recently that they (dealer techs) don't take time to make such reports "about 70% of the time."

Another possibility, aside from the information not being shared like it was supposed to be, is that someone is resisting the wiring harness replacement because it is so labor intensive (= expensive to fix).

RE the groan: I've long had a sporadic groan that sounds like power steering, but it occurs during moderate straight line acceleration -- i.e. when steering is not stressed. I've not been able to duplicate it during most dealer visits. Now, tho, I am getting a true power steering groan on occasion; it happens only when the car is cold, and only when turning. Service guy says that happens a lot with the A6 & if it keeps up or gets worse, they will replace the power steering unit. I checked the fluid & it's fine.

I sympathize with your frustration; my car has had too much downtime, too. When it does, I invariably search for alternatives -- but there are none. Nothing else combines the size, power and AWD of the RS6. If something else causes extensive downtime again for my RS6, I'll probably look around again, but any other vehicle would require me to give up something -- size, AWD or power.

Benman
March 15th, 2005, 15:52
Originally posted by Hy Octane
I'm about ready to take out MY Willie and beat the whole Audi Tech team to death with it!

Will keep ya posted..
Wow:MTM: , how do you even walk around with that thing. It must be HUGE. I could only slap someone with mine:blush: .

I can only sympathize with you. I know Jax has had the most trouble, but Bauer and others have had major issues with their Beasts so you are not alone. I've been fortunate with mine to date (but should it be called fortunate when we've spent $80K+?) but that could change at any time (hoping not). Please keep us updated.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

nene
March 15th, 2005, 21:20
I'm sure I speak for most when I say I'm sorry to hear that it happened again. At least the local Audi tech has suspected something much 'bigger' is at stake here, no pun intended on your willie obviously.
At least it seems he will try his/her best to make it right, this time around. Keep us posted, and we're hoping for a much faster return to full power this time.

Faraz
March 18th, 2005, 17:29
Have them check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and wastegates on the turbo system. Could be boost leak somewhere thats throwing everything off, My freind had a blown off intercooler hose, well slightly loose. :idea:

-Faraz

cpeckvt
April 29th, 2005, 17:27
I am having the same problem with my car.
After logging boost my car is pushing 1300mbars.
A stock RS6 should be pushing 1700mbars.
I have a stage I MTM chip, should be pushing 2100mbars.
Hoppen Motorsports says it could be a bypass valve or the wastegate. Has your tech checked these problems.

nene
April 29th, 2005, 18:47
The RS6 has 2 MAF sensors. Apparently one of them in Octane's car was bad. Always check the easy stuff first. You should be able to log MAF readings if you have a VAG tool.

VAG Tool Locator Site (http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl)