PDA

View Full Version : How do you avoid/fix the dot matrix bubbles when tinted?

audirs6sport
March 12th, 2005, 22:21
How do you avoid/fix the dot matrix bubbles when tinted?

marks6
March 14th, 2005, 15:50
You lost me... is this printer related?

Benman
March 14th, 2005, 16:00
Originally posted by audirs6sport
Once they develop I know of no other sure way than a retint. How long ago was it that the car was tinted? It is way too early for the "bubbles" to be showing up. Usually, it will happen if the job is rushed or of low quality.

Ben:addict:

Jack
March 14th, 2005, 20:57
Originally posted by audirs6sport

You carefully "push/squeeze" out the trapped moisture -- this needs to be done a couple of days, but no longer than approximately one week, after the tint job. Most, but not all, of the bubbles can be eliminated.

sturs6
March 14th, 2005, 21:26
Originally posted by marks6
You lost me... is this printer related?
That was my first thought exactlly... sorry
:applause: :applause: :rotflmao:

Benman
March 14th, 2005, 22:20
Originally posted by Jack
You carefully "push/squeeze" out the trapped moisture -- this needs to be done a couple of days, but no longer than approximately one week, after the tint job. Most, but not all, of the bubbles can be eliminated.
I think he is referring to the ones that develop after the fact, which it is then too late to "fix". Although he may be reffering to a printer issue, in that case non of this info is relevant:D

Ben:addict:

nene
March 15th, 2005, 21:34
Here's my best guess at what he's taling about, as I had this on my S4 as well, and you just can't do anything about.

If you look at the edge of rear glass for example, you will notice that the edges have a black strip. That black strip turns into dots as it moves towards the clear glass. The dots get smaller and smaller, until you see clear glass. The whole thing is not more than 1-2 inches wide, depending on where you are looking at. At the top and base it is usually larger width.

When you think the car, the tint wil stick to the clear glass, but it will not stick to the black dots. Usually, the tint shop will try to put tint as far down as it can, but it's a mistake to do so in the Audi's case, because of the silly dots. Eventually, the tint will peel off, about 2mm, until the area where it's all clear glass. I'll take a picture of this today when I get a chance.
Because between the dots there is some clear glass, during the tint process the tint will stick just fine. However a few weeks to a few months later, it will peel off a small edge.

Your only bet is to re-tint, and ask the fellas that you don't want it to reach all the way to the bottom. Stop exactly before where the dots start. That is the only way. It does nto bother me that much, so I always let them do what they want, and just deal with the small edge that peels out. No solution if you ask me. Use clear tape if it bothers you that much, but the tape might bother you more.

If you are talking about bubbles that exist randomly over the clear glass portion of the tint, than you must have it redone. My tint place offers lifetime guarantee. So if it goes bad, he'll redo it. All I have to do is probably give it a tip or something for his time. But have not gone that route yet, as it's always been good thus far.