PDA

View Full Version : 8000 miles -- tires bald

Dark Knight
March 12th, 2005, 05:03
Had Dunlop SP 9000s when I got the car and got 16,000 miles out of them.

Replaced them with Michelin PilotSport PS2s and got 8,000 miles out of the rear tires!!! The fronts are still fine. Not only were the rears bald, they showed a huge amount of cord in not time at all . . . not much fun running around with cord showing until I could get tires shipped to my dealer.

Anyone else had such low mileage out of their rear tires? Especially like to hear from anyone running Pilot PS2s to hear what their wear experience has been.

Ps. the dealer said he thinks that with doing hard takeoffs in the colder months the front wheels slip so the quattro transfers a lot of the power to the rear tires which eats them up -- what do you think about this theory???

Thanks!

rks838
March 12th, 2005, 23:55
I think that may just be a load of crap - I can't imagine the RS6's rear tires spinning or anything, but that would definitely eat them up more than just having a lot of horsepower to channel to the pavement. PS2's are the original equipment for the 911, though, so you know they're designed to handle that stress...hmmm...

Hy Octane
March 13th, 2005, 02:06
First i've heard of any quattro wearing out the rears first. and by so much too.. Did you have the car aligned when you switched to the PS2's? Did the rears wear evenly across the tread? Do you carry alotta stuff in the trunk?

The front tires slipping is a load of sheite.. one must ask what is the rear doing that is causing this excessive wear? You would have to be doing alotta rear wheel drifting ( like burning donuts) to get that kind of wear.

Whats your driving style?

Benman
March 14th, 2005, 15:42
Originally posted by Hy Octane
First i've heard of any quattro wearing out the rears first. and by so much too.. Did you have the car aligned when you switched to the PS2's? Did the rears wear evenly across the tread? Do you carry alotta stuff in the trunk?

The front tires slipping is a load of sheite.. one must ask what is the rear doing that is causing this excessive wear? You would have to be doing alotta rear wheel drifting ( like burning donuts) to get that kind of wear.

Whats your driving style?
Agreed. You'd have to have one CRAZY driving stlye for that to add up. But that still doesn't explain the fronts being fine:vhmmm:

Ben:addict:

DaveyKid
March 16th, 2005, 03:00
Are you in Pennsylvania?

Dark Knight
March 19th, 2005, 04:30
Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback, I think the same it's a load of crap with what's going on with the tires. I just can't figure out what's going on.

The car was aligned when I put the PS2's on, and the rear tires did wear evenly across.

My driving style is probably in the realm of very aggressive, I think I certainly use the car. I usually do a few hard take offs each way during my commute (often with EPS off).

Still, I drove probably even harder on the previous set of tires (I've calmed down since snapping the drive shaft a few thousand miles ago) and the fronts wore out the same time as the rear tires.

I suppose I'll see how I go on this new set of rear tires and let you all know what happens.

Either way, it sucks they were gone so fast . . .

rs6_newyork
April 9th, 2005, 15:33
I have PS2 and have 5000 miles on them, they look ok so far.
Wait: you've a chipped car, right? perhaps that is the problem. Full torque in 2nd and 3rd especially with colder climate or uneven roads will slip and skid your tires and make ESP flash. Since ESP has to see slippage before cutting in, well, you're tearing up your tires..

dabull
May 27th, 2005, 13:57
Any chance that the rear tires were installed rotating in the wrong direction? I had that happen when I had the local Goodyear dealer put my winter tires on. I didn't discover it until I started hydroplaning . I pulled into a gas station and took a look at the tires and was shocked to see that they were bald.

highrustler
May 27th, 2005, 14:50
I'm heading to my tire source right now to get 4 new 255/35/19 PS2's. I'm replacing the PZero's which gave me all of 9k miles. All four tires wore evenly. It doesn't sound correct that the rears went first. The price of performance...

James

iconcls
May 27th, 2005, 16:21
I have 10K on my PS2's with THREE days of tracking in there and my rears are not wearing abnormally.

However, I do not think I will make it through the season on the PS2's, I'm just tearing through them (but I knew that going in).

gjg
May 27th, 2005, 22:55
I've got about 11k (miles) on stock 19" SP9000 Dunlops, still a good thread, even wear all 4 corners

looks like you got some lemon .... on the other hand, that what you get with froggy prodducts ..... :harass:

highrustler
May 29th, 2005, 03:15
The PS2's are a notable improvement over the PZero. Could not be happier other than the wear factor.

James

aussie rs6
May 31st, 2005, 18:02
the michein ps2's- 255 x35x19- factory specs may be a good tyre, but I just bought set for 19" rims and they cannot be fitted to the front.

reason- the rim protector tyre design is a great preventer of 'kerb rash' but when you turn the front wheels the clearance is so tight on the inside that the tyre rubs on the vertical suspension strut, both sides with appropriate grinding noise!

Grinding away at the strut to get clearance is not recommended-dare say it would void the warranty.

I assume ok on 18" rims as the tyre does not have the same height as on the 19" rim ( the vertical strut angles as you go up towards the wheel-why do german engineers set such tight clearances)

So now looking at running continentals on front and michelin ps2 on rear- anyone know of any problem doing this? or maybe sell the michelin ps2's to dark knight as very expensive tyre sculpture in my garage.