PDA

View Full Version : Steer-By-Wire

RS4Ever
March 9th, 2005, 22:16
i was reading this interesting write-up about Steering-by-wire and i thought i'd post it to see what you guys think. at the moment we have DBW (drive-by-wire) which combines sensors at the accellerator pedal.

after you read the short write-up ... check out the poll...
do you:

Dig It :dig:
or
Diss It :nono:

share your opinions... why do you dig it?.. why do you diss it?

could this solve/cause more problems? could this improve/ruin the fun of driving?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is the article:

"Since the power-steering pump on most cars today runs constantly, pumping fluid all the time, it wastes horsepower. This wasted power translates into wasted fuel.

You can expect to see several innovations that will improve fuel economy. One of the coolest ideas on the drawing board is the "steer-by-wire" or "drive-by-wire" system. These systems would completely eliminate the mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering, replacing it with a purely electronic control system. Essentially, the steering wheel would work like the one you can buy for your home computer to play games. It would contain sensors that tell the car what the driver is doing with the wheel, and have some motors in it to provide the driver with feedback on what the car is doing. The output of these sensors would be used to control a motorized steering system. This would free up space in the engine compartment by eliminating the steering shaft. It would also reduce vibration inside the car.

General Motors has introduced a concept car, the Hy-wire, that features this type of driving system. One of the most exciting things about the drive-by-wire system in the GM Hy-wire is that you can fine-tune vehicle handling without changing anything in the car's mechanical components -- all it takes to adjust the steering is some new computer software. In future drive-by-wire vehicles, you will most likely be able to configure the controls exactly to your liking by pressing a few buttons, just like you might adjust the seat position in a car today. It would also be possible in this sort of system to store distinct control preferences for each driver in the family.

In the past fifty years, car steering systems haven't changed much. But in the next decade, we'll see advances in car steering that will result in more efficient cars and a more comfortable ride. "

RS4Ever
March 9th, 2005, 22:38
personally, i chose to diss it.

i like to feel what the wheels feel.. the pressure in the turns.. the limits (close to them).

how can you simiulate the feed back.. the different textures you drive over like gravel and so forth.. if that will even be the case, would it be worth it.
maybe it will just be smooth with no resistance, even without the need of "bring to center" ... why not then make it like an ipod dial interface and use one finger to steer, and save the space.

with an accelorator pedal i guess its ok because you dont really get much feedback from it .. all it does really is go down. having sensors as to how much you press makes sense.

it seems though as if cars are becoming more and more like a "computer game"... sometimes i think that the cars of the future may seem boring to drive... they will just do everything for you.
but if i wanted to play a computer game i'd stay at home.

and then there is always the option of riding a bicycle.:cool2: