PDA

View Full Version : Shipping from Us.

Payne
March 6th, 2005, 11:56
Has anyone know what'd I have to do if i'd like to ship a car from Us to Europe?..Any other taxes/fees apart from shipping costs?

Nordschleife
March 6th, 2005, 12:30
You would have to pay Sales Tax in most countries. It depends where you are importing the car. It is usually better to arrange everything through somebody who is experienced in this. There are a lot of things about American specification cars which you would want to change.

R+C

gjg
March 6th, 2005, 19:23
Has anyone know what'd I have to do if i'd like to ship a car from Us to Europe?..

this depends on some variables:

shipping (US side):
1. new or used car?
2. roll on/roll-off service or container?
3. East coast or West coast?

In Europe depending on destination port - I guess Bremerhaven/Hamburg would be best for you if you want to get the car to Prague.

Than - you want to drive from port or have the car trucked?

If drving there are some basisc - green card (do not even attempt to leace a terminal without it - car can be confiscated), if transfer out of Germany (or another port) than VAT or custom documents and other paperwork ...

This is a major PIA anymore - if you want more info send me PM.

gg :idea:

gjg
March 6th, 2005, 19:27
I've forgot to mention (as R+C pointed out) that you will have some additional work to do on the car:

1. US headlights do not meet Eurospecs
2. US Amber parking lights will have to go
3. depending on the car the rear lights may not have amber turn signals not to mentio US bakre lights used as turn signals on some cars ...

what are are you looking at?

Payne
March 6th, 2005, 21:56
Originally posted by gjg
I've forgot to mention (as R+C pointed out) that you will have some additional work to do on the car:

1. US headlights do not meet Eurospecs
2. US Amber parking lights will have to go
3. depending on the car the rear lights may not have amber turn signals not to mentio US bakre lights used as turn signals on some cars ...

what are are you looking at?

I was just making an inquire for my long-term future:) ..cause I saw some nice used Rs6's on Us market and I guess I'd buy Rs6 in Us much cheaper than in Czech rep.
What do you think about that?

Thanks for all tha info..where do you get all that knowledge from?:)

Nordschleife
March 7th, 2005, 08:02
Originally posted by Payne
I was just making an inquire for my long-term future:) ..cause I saw some nice used Rs6's on Us market and I guess I'd buy Rs6 in Us much cheaper than in Czech rep.
What do you think about that?

American specification RS6s have problems in the European market.

Battery placement
18 inch rims
instruments in mph etc
no navigation
soft springs
nasty seats
reprogram ecu
double lambda probes
mirrors have idiot labels

thats just for starters, i would not want one of these cars. I would not want to handle used RS6s - too many problems

R+C

Payne
March 7th, 2005, 12:11
Originally posted by Nordschleife
American specification RS6s have problems in the European market.

Battery placement
18 inch rims
instruments in mph etc
no navigation
soft springs
nasty seats
reprogram ecu
double lambda probes
mirrors have idiot labels

thats just for starters, i would not want one of these cars. I would not want to handle used RS6s - too many problems

R+C

I guess that's too many problems and at the end it'd be cheaper to buy it in europe..
Do you think of web page in europe where I could have a look?

Erik
March 7th, 2005, 12:17
Do you think of web page in europe where I could have a look?

www.mobile.de

Payne
March 7th, 2005, 12:19
Originally posted by Erik
www.mobile.de

Thanks!

And if I'd buy it in one Eu state and bring it to another one..what would I have to do/pay?

gjg
March 7th, 2005, 14:01
VAT (DPH in Czech) in Destination country

Payne
March 7th, 2005, 18:15
Originally posted by gjg
VAT (DPH in Czech) in Destination country

If it says VAT reclaimable..Under what circumstances i can get the money back...I mean if I'd bring a car into czech rep. I'd have to pay VAT{DPH}, right?..So how I can get it back?:vhmmm:

J0X
March 7th, 2005, 18:58
The fact of the matter is, it's almost always cheaper to buy "locally" in the end. Unless you're in for something really rare and exclusive. I've been there and done that, and once the expenses and need-to-be-done's reaches its 20th row, you realise it's actually cheaper to get that car around the block instead of around the globe.

Nordschleife
March 7th, 2005, 19:01
If it says VAT reclaimable..Under what circumstances i can get the money back...I mean if I'd bring a car into czech rep. I'd have to pay VAT{DPH}, right?..So how I can get it back?:vhmmm:

If you have to ask this question you are not entitled to claim back the DPH.

If you have the appropriate corporate structure, you may claim back the tax. If you have this structure already, you would not be asking this question. The other way of claiming back the tax is by exporting the car from the EU.

Sales tax is a "Value Added" tax designed to ultimately be paid by the end user of the product. If you are dealing in cars you claim the tax paid as an input and then charge your customer the output tax.

So you buy a car for EUR 81,200 including 16% MwSt.,
once you have processed the export documents at the CZ border
and pay Sales tax of (guessing a CZ rate of 10%) EUR 7.000,
you can reclaim the EUR 11,200 MwSt from the vendor in Germany
then when you sell the car in CZ for EUR 80.000
you charge the customer EUR 8.000 DPH
therefore the customer pays you EUR 88.000 and you pay the CZ tax man EUR 8.000 - EUR 7.000 = EUR 1.000

Total cash out EUR 81,200 + 7.000 + 1.000 = 89.200
Total cash in EUR 88.000 + 11,200 = 99.200
Profit = EUR 99.200 - 89.200 = EUR 10.000

so you see the net tax effect is nil, as you are not the end purchaser of the car.

If you use the car in your business then the DPH paid is an input in your DPH return and you effectively get back the tax paid.

As you can see this is all very simple and straight forward. Your accountant would charge you several thousand Euros for explaining all this.

R+C

Payne
March 7th, 2005, 19:54
Originally posted by Nordschleife
If you have to ask this question you are not entitled to claim back the DPH.

If you have the appropriate corporate structure, you may claim back the tax. If you have this structure already, you would not be asking this question. The other way of claiming back the tax is by exporting the car from the EU.

Sales tax is a "Value Added" tax designed to ultimately be paid by the end user of the product. If you are dealing in cars you claim the tax paid as an input and then charge your customer the output tax.

So you buy a car for EUR 81,200 including 16% MwSt.,
once you have processed the export documents at the CZ border
and pay Sales tax of (guessing a CZ rate of 10%) EUR 7.000,
you can reclaim the EUR 11,200 MwSt from the vendor in Germany
then when you sell the car in CZ for EUR 80.000
you charge the customer EUR 8.000 DPH
therefore the customer pays you EUR 88.000 and you pay the CZ tax man EUR 8.000 - EUR 7.000 = EUR 1.000

Total cash out EUR 81,200 + 7.000 + 1.000 = 89.200
Total cash in EUR 88.000 + 11,200 = 99.200
Profit = EUR 99.200 - 89.200 = EUR 10.000

so you see the net tax effect is nil, as you are not the end purchaser of the car.

If you use the car in your business then the DPH paid is an input in your DPH return and you effectively get back the tax paid.

As you can see this is all very simple and straight forward. Your accountant would charge you several thousand Euros for explaining all this.

R+C

Thanks for explanation..Hope that I won't have to send you "several thousand Euros":D